Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So far, this is the best thread title of the year.

Comments

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 1,584
    PBS's independent lens doc last night was called "Rat Film" and it was pretty great.

It overlaps Baltimore's rat control problems over the past century with it's orchestrated segregation.

It packs a pretty good wallop, but then also goes out on these straight up psychedelic side roads and was scored by Dan Deacon.

Recommend if you like your social commentary served with a side of tripping ballz.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 1,346
    That is some major drop, Jeff. Mazel tov!!!
    I think I can pretty safely say that I enjoy almost everything with a side of trippin’ ballz.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 2,648
    edited March 1
    It's only February March but I will be surprised if Twin Fantasy by Car Seat Headrest isn't my album of the year.
    Honestly, even though the sound is nothing like them, he reminds of Nirvana, because of the jarring feeling of hearing all of the weird sounds usually used to make the esoteric shit I listen to chewed up by someone who can somehow spit them back out as radio-ready anthems.
    edited March 1
    It's also a little weird hearing the guitar rock sounds of my youth reinvented by a guy young enough to be my son singing about coming to terms with his homosexuality. Good weird. Nice to know the specific can still be universal. But weird.
    My interest is piqued.

Also, it's March.
    You confused me at first. But I see that this is the one he remade. Were you a fan of the 2011 version?
    I didn't catch on to him until the last record. I'm enjoying this one and the last one so much that my plan is to keep the older ones in reserve until I get tired of this one.

I don't think I'll tire of Twin Fantasy soon though. pretty much every day I am convinced a different song on it is the best thing ever. Today it's this one:

Or maybe this one:

Ratt's "Round & Round" mashed up with Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"

edited March 2
    This weekend is Simon's bday party. All of the kids from his magnet class, give or take, and a magician. Should be fun. For him, at least.
    edited March 2
    Honestly, the part I'm looking forward to is pretty petty.

There's a small chance you might vaguely remember the whole drama my family had a few years back with the Romanian family who lives in our area we tried to be friends with. Short version, they were terrible, judgmental, clingy people who wanted us around ALL THE TIME so they could tell us how fat and rude I was and how Matilda was a bad mother for not staying home with her kid.

Anyway, their kid is coming to the party and I'm looking forward to the part where his mom drops him off and sees I've lost 130 pounds.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 3,569
    edited March 2
    Jeff, you must know that she'll just bitch about how skinny and rude you are, right?
    "Who's fat now, cacat?"

(cacat=piece of shit)

OK. Yeah, probably.
    Took the day off. Did my lesson plans and laundry last night and worked out this morning. I’m going to have a debauched worry-free afternoon/evening with my amigo in Dallas and then have 2 days to recover. ¡Olé!
    edited March 3
    Hey, how about president shit-fer-brains import tariffs, eh? Granted, I'm quite certain that Il Douche doesn't know what he's doing, he was bored or something, so he decided to stir shit up in his usually cluelessly self-serving manner.

But I gotta tell you, I'm laughing at all the very serious people, including Junior, the ruler of Canuckistan, going "free trade good, tariffs bad". Why are they bad? And are they always bad? Well as we all know, they're bad for "the economy." What is "the economy?" What is "the economy" for? Well, erm, ah, um, GDP or growth or something?

I am trying to watch Call Me By Your Name but it's maybe the bougiest thing I have ever seen.
    edited March 4
    I had to look up "bougiest": Acting as if one is of a higher social status than one is; suspicions regarding true roots and background are implied.

Is that what you mean, Jeff? Could you elaborate?
    edited March 4
    This is a story about rich white people doing rich white people things with a target audience of rich white people or people who envy or aspire to be rich white people.
    Yeah, but is it any good?
    Sounds like you may enjoy it if you’re bougie.
    edited March 4
    It's a romance about a 30-ish adult and a 17 year-old. In the midst of casually enjoying a leisurely, luxurious summer, they have an affair. It's beautifully photographed and well directed and acted. But mostly, I just resented them all for their idle affluence.

I'm not a homophobe, but I do harbor a ton of class resentment.
    All right, I can dig that.
    edited March 4
    I don't have much affection for that many new-ish bands, but one that I like, Ultimate Painting, broke up a few weeks ago, and another, Veronica Falls, just found out their drummer died.
    Sorry for your musical losses.
    The Oscars went pretty well. I was a little underwhelmed that Gary Oldman got the standard previously-nominated big name actor does an impersonation in a biopic win, but most of the big awards went just fine.
    The last 20-ish minutes of Call Me By Your Name were very good. I'm still not entirely sold on that one because the wealth and age things mucked it up for me some. But it does have one of the most heartbreaking dad-talking-to-brokenhearted-child scenes ever made. So there is that.
    The local historical movie theater that we see all movies at has an annual contest for who can pick the most Oscar© winners.

This year I did amazingly well. Even in the technical categories. I'm kinda half waiting for them to call me and tell me I at least placed.