Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's an easy trap to fall into.

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 3,570

Comments

• moetownmoetown Posts: 1,346
    Traps aren't bad as long as they're shut.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 1,588
    ^ nominated for next thread title.
    I'm taking tomorrow off to have a little Spring Break action with the fellahs. So allow me to ask you this question..

What in the name of all that is holy are y'all doing this weekend?
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 2,652
    My mom is in town and Tilda's cousins--the good ones, the Hungarians who put us up in Toronto last year, also known as Simon's godparents--are coming into town tomorrow. Everybody has to leave early on Sunday, so we're doing Easter tomorrow.

We're bored of most USian Easter things, so we decided to do it up all Romanian-like.

Cozonac (Romanian coffee cake, basically)

Dobos (hungarian chocolate layer cake)

Papanasi (Romanian cheese donuts)

Salate de vinete (Romanian eggplant dip) and some some form of soup, too.

Mici ("Meech" Romanian skinless sausages)

Sarmale (stuffed cabbage)

And probably a few other things I am forgetting.
    (mouth watering)
    I'm taking the boys into DC tomorrow. We're going to see a Burning Man installation show at the Renwick and go see the new Obama portraits everyone's been talking about.

Friends coming from Philly on Saturday for an afternoon snack. Then Seder at a local friends house.

Easter brunch and egg hunt at my bestie's house on Sunday.

And somehow squeeze in Ready Player One and Isle of Dogs into the cracks between those activities.
    edited March 29
    I'm not a big Burning Man type of person, perhaps because (like the grateful dead) the heavy duty fans turn me off.

But the art in this exhibition looks pretty damn interesting.
    I am of a similar mind on Burning Man. It sounds fun except for literally everyone there,

Is there a link to that show though? Sounds interesting.

Removed from their odious/odorous context, those do look pretty impressive.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 3,570
    Dumb shit that makes me laugh:

Happy Easter, crappiteers!
    I ate a bunch of stuff and had a nice time. Best news of all, my kid's godparents/Tilda's cousins/the nicest couple we know are expecting their first kid after years of trying. So looks like we'll headed to Toronto this December to meet the new little baba. I think we may combine that with a trip to NYC for Christmas, as Simon and I have always wanted to do that.
    Mazel tov!

I never got jaded about Christmas in NYC. It's pretty great.
    We loved Ready Player One. A fun depiction of a really clever story.

A___ said that although they changed a lot from the book, the heart of it remained intact.
    Found out that A____ will be attending Junior prom on Friday. His first school dance.
    How are his dancing skills, or, alternately, his "pretending to need a lot of time to pour a punch" skills? I was rough on the former, but ACES on the latter.
    I ate a bunch of stuff and had a nice time. Best news of all, my kid's godparents/Tilda's cousins/the nicest couple we know are expecting their first kid after years of trying. So looks like we'll headed to Toronto this December to meet the new little baba. I think we may combine that with a trip to NYC for Christmas, as Simon and I have always wanted to do that.
    How about a side trip to Montreal? ;;)
    I read the book for Ready Player One and it was overly slick and pretty shallow, but very fun all the same such that I didn't mind its shortcomings. I'm expecting the movie to be more or less the same.

What are the can't miss things for Xmas in NYC?
    How about a side trip to Montreal?
    It's not impossible. Know any nice people who could put three of us up?
    I think A____ was 5 the last time I saw him dance.

Hopefully he's been secretly practicing in his mirror, ala Footloose.

E____ on the hand is an amazing dancer. And his bust out his fresh moves in crowded public environments.
    What are the can't miss things for Xmas in NYC?
    Let me think about that a bit, but as touristy as it sounds, Rockefeller center is well worth the crowds. The tree, the skating rink, Saks' animatronic window displays and gigantic ornaments on every corner will have you feeling fully holidayfied.

Also, don't fall for the roasted chestnuts. They smell good but taste like battery acid.
    We may actually focus on some of the more touristy stuff this first time in. That's what we did with Toronto last year and now this year, we are excited about just chilling and trying fun food and checking out neighborhoods and what not, since we already say Casa Loma, the CN Tower, etc.

I saw that NYC has an an absurdly expensive but comprehensive city pass. I am trying to wrap my head around that. It feels ambitious.
    It's not impossible. Know any nice people who could put three of us up?
    Well, if you don't mind cats and sleeping in a basement, something could be arranged.
    I think the real hang-up might be getting enough days off to add an extra stop...
  • TrippTripp Posts: 317
    I remember my first high school dance date. My big sister taught me some basic dance moves which I pulled off admirably. Then at one point I noticed my buddies off to the side laughing their asses off at me.
    A few of my students were a bit nervous today because apparently it's "Punish a Muslim" day. I had no idea there was such a thing.
    I thought that was just a British thing.
    I remember my first high school dance date. My big sister taught me some basic dance moves which I pulled off admirably. Then at one point I noticed my buddies off to the side laughing their asses off at me.
    Jealousy.

A few of my students were a bit nervous today because apparently it's "Punish a Muslim" day. I had no idea there was such a thing.
    Blacks must feel a bit relieved. Unless they're muslim, of course.