Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's an easy trap to fall into.

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 3,569
    edited April 8
    Well, kick me in the gonads and call me Daisy!

Hungary's Viktor Orbán secures another term with resounding win
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 222
    I figured. I almost prefaced what I wrote by saying that I was really saying anything new, I just wanted to point out how ridiculous it was that people are still pulling their hair out over this when it would be a miracle if they managed to create a new film that wasn't completely derivative of the others or in someway outraged the fans.

Also, I should have posted this after my comments related to the sudden racial diversity of the Empire.

Country Teasers - Mos E17ley (I suspected that "E17" referred to something and found that it was a reference to a part of London)

Some of my favourite lyrics:

"The world is much more like Star Wars than it used to be.
    But the world is no more like Star Wars than it should be.
    There is nothing wrong with a world a bit like Star Wars. I like Star Wars.
    London is a lot like Mos Eisley.
    It's a lot more like Mos Eisley than it used to be.
    For instance, in the fifties and the seventies, it was like the fucking Death Star."
    edited April 9
    Funny, now my post about Viktor Orban's reelection is no longer a non-sequitur!
    ugh
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 2,648
    Aw, man, The Thermals broke up.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 1,584
    Looking forward to Matt's SOLO review.
    Isle of Dogs was fantastic. Some different flavors were in the mix. A bleaker worldview than usual. Standout voice work from Jeff Goldblum and Harvey Keitel.
    Call Me by Your Name was really well written and acted, but I kept getting pulled out of it by the age differential. Couldn't help but think that this movie would have been received much differently if the protagonist was a teenage girl.
    SAME
    The speech from the dad is one of the most humane and empathetic parental moments I have ever seen in a film. So I did really admire that.

Another thing was that the characters in that movie are some of the bougiest motherfuckers that ever bougied their bougieness into Bougietown. It's 132 minutes of idle rich people who do shit like use "summer" as a verb.
    At some point, Matthew, you might consider giving yourself permission not to watch big budget Hollywood movies, since you never like them anyway.

That's not snark. I'm being serious. Why watch shit you know you will hate?
    Ha. Yes. That too.
    I have been reading and/or working at night so much lately that I've just about stopped watching tv. And I have to say, this time of year I'm not missing it.

I'm still a big tv nerd, but most of my favorites aren't on right now. And because of the streaming services, there's this weird glut of shows that are good, but not good enough to feel necessary, given how plentiful they are.
    edited April 9
    I'm still reading like a fiend though.

I read So Much Blue by Percival Everett, which is three intertwined stories in one guy's life. One of which set in 1979 El Salvador is amazing. The one in present day about a mysterious painting he's working on but doesn't want to show anyone, is very good. And the third, about an affair he had once with a young French girl is pretty blah.

Right now I'm working on Lucky Boy, which I like and also The Idiot (not the Dostoevsky, the new-ish one of the same name by Elif Batuman). The latter of those is wry and funny though I'm not sure it's going anywhere.
    It's true. There is so much content out there that merely hearing a show is good is not nearly enough to warrant me watching. Someone has to be screaming in my face that my life is incomplete without watching.
    Netflix has also gone from rarely releasing shows but being very, very high quality to throwing dozens of them online every month to see what sticks. Even some of their high profile stuff of late has been kinda boring. I couldn't even bring myself to finish Altered Carbon, which I had thought looked great. The actual show is pretty inert.

I feel like what I ought to be doing is sifting more through some of the international content they get these days, but if I'm being honest I'm getting somewhat wary of subtitles in my advanced age.
    Oh, there is plenty of big box office crap I have zero interest in watching, even for the laughs. There are only a handful of long-standing franchises (Star Wars, Alien, Star Trek) that I will always put a couple of hours for. I have soft spots for them. I watched it with a friend and we riffed on it. We kinda lost steam after 45 minutes, though. I almost felt as if I had downloaded the raw, unedited footage rather than the finished film.
    "One of Us" on Netflix was pretty solid. From the folks behind "Jesus Camp", it isn't really an attack on Hasidism (in Brooklyn), but I do rather wish they had dedicated more time exploring the relationship between the Holocaust and this form of Orthodox Judaism.
    I haven't checked out the other threads yet, but the first nine-episode season of "Big Mouth" was fun. Falls flat at times, but I enjoyed it over all.

Funny how all the alternative comics are doing cartoon shows to avoid burning out their material or associating their image with sitcoms.
    I am not sure if I am hip to any of the animated shows you describe.
    It me.
    realme.jpg
    960 x 815 - 225K
    edited April 11

Recommended!
    edited April 12
    Well, looks like a bunch of western powers are going to gang up and bomb Syria "for humanitarian reasons". I don't know what that's suppose to accomplish, but hey, I'm getting used to having that feeling, and I'm not just talking about Syria. I mean, you know the old "can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs" cliché? I have the impression that our dear leaders now just break the eggs and don't really give a shit about the omelet.
    Funny how those who are the most enthusiastic about bombing the shit of people for humanitarian reasons are rarely in favour of doing anything else whatsoever for humanitarian reasons. Taking in more refugees? Sponsoring peace initiatives? Sending in humanitarian help? Ah! Tough luck, assholes. Bombing the shit out of things! Geronimo!
    I've been in media lockdown as my kitty zeus got super sick and died over the past 3 days. Is there actual support for bombing? Or is this just Trump swinging his dick around to cover up the fact that his previous dumbass tweets likely caused the chemical attack.
    My condolences, Eric. How old was Zeus?
    Thank you. He was 5. Too damn soon.
    edited April 12
    Yes, too soon. Zeus is supposed to be immortal!

Mignon, one of my cats, isn't doing too well (probably cancer), but he's 15.