Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plenty of people want to rock, they're just not on the radio

Comments

• TrippTripp Posts: 317
    I don't have any expectations. Which is how it should be with Star Wars now. But I'll probably go see it.
    Did yall see Infinity War yet? It's pretty great I thought.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 3,569
    edited May 8
    Jeff, we've finished watching the Lost in Space reboot. Everyone enjoyed it. Sure, it was hokey and kinda dumb and very predictable, but it was fast paced, not too badly written and, for once, the science wasn't eye-rollingly stupid. There were a few howlers, but not too many compared to other sci-fi shows.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 1,584
    edited May 8
    I love the Star Wars business. This is the first one I'm genuinely nervous about (of the Disney era).

The "I'm going to be the best damn star pilot ever" from the trailer reminded me of the Star Trek reboot where they were trying way too hard to make Kirk a badass rebel. These characters are already plenty cool. You don't have to put them in a leather jacket staring into the horizon saying "aint nobody tells ME what to do".

If I had to guess, I think I will have a perfectly enjoyable time in the theater but eventually Matt will post a scathing review and I'll think "yeah... that's probably all true."
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 2,648
    edited May 8
    Dan, the one thing that truly rankled me on Lost in Space was in the pilot where they were crashing and the computer was announcing their altitude in feet even as the display clearly said meters... and was giving the same digits. Though that bit of stupid may not have applied for you if you watched in French.
    edited May 8
    My expectations are really low regarding these movies: I think they're basically dumb crap made tolerable by nostalgia and marketing, but sometimes that's what I want to watch.
    Infinity War was fun. It was more like finale for a tv season than a movie, but the Marvel movies are a series anyway, so that didn't bother me in the slightest.
    edited May 8
    I have a kid who, like all kids, watches a bunch of crap, so the Marvel and Star Wars stuff may be more readily identifiable to me as top shelf crap. There are many, many lower shelves you guys.
    edited May 8
    Dan, the one thing that truly rankled me on Lost in Space was in the pilot where they were crashing and the computer was announcing their altitude in feet even as the display clearly said meters... and was giving the same digits.
    There were several things I noticed. I didn't make a list, so I don't remember all of them, of course, but there's a couple I do remember.

In one of the first episodes, they mention the speed needed to get to orbit for the new planet, and they're basically the same numbers as the Earth, which makes sense because the planet seems to have the same gravity as the Earth. But Maureen Robinson later tells Victor Dhar that he won't be able to get to orbit because his computer was calibrated for the Earth, not the new planet... Ok, so maybe Maureen was lying. But then they spend a good amount of time reconfiguring one of the ships so that it can get to orbit, so she wasn't lying.

When Will figures out that the rock he found in the cave is actually poop that can be used to make fuel, they go to the cave and find piles of it. Those piles are obviously falling from the ceiling. But they take forever before they finally look up.

These kinds of dumb shit happen all the time in TV series. Bad writers tend to put the dramatic needs of the show way before basic simple logic.
    The mom on Lost in Space is hawt. She's a terrific actress too, but seriously, among us dudes? She's easy on the eyes.
    edited May 8
    Molly Parker is canadian. First time I saw her was in a mockumentary from the 90s about a fake canadian punk band called Hard Core Logo. She briefly appears as one of the musicians of a band called Jenifur.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 317
    The first time I remember seeing her is in an episode of Party Down (Ron's high school reunion) and yes she is indeed hawt.
    edited May 8
    As a science nerd, and the dad of a pre-teen girl, I really liked that the main brain of Lost in Space was a woman.
    It's like she has the features of a wholesome girl next door and the gait/bearing of a femme fatale. It's a striking combination. Much of that likely owes to her being a good actress who gives her characters more depth than either of those single archetypes.
    I probably watched House of Cards longer than I might have because of her and Mahershala Ali.
    Yes. He's also hotttt.
    OOOH, looks like Zephyr Teachout may run for the newly vacant NY AG job.
    edited May 8
    I looked her up: she's a leftie who wants campaign finance reform. Sounds good to me.
    Preet Bharara is the other name floating out there. I could get behind that.

Except that he has a penis.
    edited May 8
    As expected, president shit-fer-brains decided to withdrawal the US from the Iran nuclear agreement. Oh, joy.

Gawd, he's a total and complete cretin, isn't he? I mean, it is by now a well established fact that he's an idiot, but it doesn't end there, does it? It isn't sufficient to just go "he's a moron" and stop there, no siree. To adequately understand how profoundly and awesomely stupid he is, it is necessary to reappraise his nitwittedness nearly every day!
    For me its more of a vacillation between "he is a clueless buffoon" and "he is actively trying to kill us all"
    ....and it can't be both! so it's a conundrum.
    He's a clueless buffoon who is indifferent whether he kills us all?
    I think he's a clueless buffoon who is too stupid to understand the consequences of his actions, consequences which may include killing us all.
    (finger on nose)
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 1,346
    I work with people that STILL support him. Not being on fb, I don’t even have an outlet for bitching about him. I don’t bring him up on crappity since I think you guys being on fb probably get enough of it

Honestly, his supporters scare me at least as much as him.
    edited May 8
    Feel free to bitch about him and his supporters as much as you want. I'm not on facebook, by the way. I still have an account, but I only use it to talk to my brother.
    Good friend of mine used to be Grimes' touring sound person. So I am now a mere 2 degrees from Elon Musk.
    What are you talking aboot?
    Grimes is pretty good, for what it's worth.