Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You guys just made me laugh out loud with your Mr. Obvious answers!

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 3,570
Hello.

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 2,652
    edited June 4
    I listened to that new Father John Misty some more this weekend. I think I know why I like it better than his older stuff. It's the same sounds, more or less, with the same smartass character, and the same I-dare-you-to-figure-out-exactly-when-I've-stopped-kidding archness. But this time, instead of him spinning suave, clever stories or making generational judgments, he's sort of waking up mid-downward spiral to have it dawn on him that he's a wreck. He's realizing he's not doing himself any favors. Worse than that, he's having the beginnings of empathy pop up to clue him in on what a shit he is to other people. That, I can relate to, not from this moment in my life, but from older ones, for sure.

I listened to some of his older stuff this weekend and while I'm on board with his sound enough to get the vibe better than I used to, I still don't like it the way I like his new record. Clever stories about girls who like to get it on in the cemetery or Neil Postman-like diatribes disguised as pop songs don't wear as well for me as the more inward-looking stuff from the new one.

This song, for instance, about his interactions with a hotel clerk during and after a blackout is both hilarious and painful. It's arch and snarky as hell, but the reason it works is because of the unspoken acknowledgement that he's a mess and the hotel staff is practically heroic to endure his bullshit.

[end unsolicited amateur record review]
    How was everyone's weekend? We went to Maifest and did the german thing. It was pretty fun.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 1,346
    I spent too much time chatting up heathens on Agnostic.com.
    Do people just chat there or is there a dating aspect to it, too? Hard to tell from the front page.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 1,588
    We peaked Friday night. Aaron, the singer from Random Rainbows and some other friends put together an ad hoc cover band (Patsy Cline, Roberta Flack, Mac Demarco etc) for a nonprofit pottery space fundraiser in our neighborhood. The weather was unexpectedly perfect, tons of people showed up and the band wowed them all.

Saturday was nephew graduation (meh). Sunday was doing all the necessary chores (meh).

What's Maifest?
    The spring equivalent of Oktoberfest, basically. Oompah bands, brats, leberkaese sandwiches, pretzels, beer, carnival games.
    I want to also have Maifest in my town.
    New remake of Suspiria from the director of Call Me By Your Name. Looks to be exactly what he promised it would be: evocative of the spirit of the original while being a different movie with its own visual aesthetic. Whether it will be good, we will have to wait and see. Looks more occult. And the grimy 70s vibe looks cool.
    Do people just chat there or is there a dating aspect to it, too? Hard to tell from the front page.
    It's both. You can indicate in your profile if you're interested in dating or community. You can see all the people interested in dating/hookups and there is a little compatability score along with it. I don't know how accurate it is. I have a date for a chat with someone who lives pretty close. She's 81% compatible according to the website. Physically, she's not really my type, but it's a first step out of my post-relationship doldrums.
    One of the perks of being a grown-ass man is being able to enjoy the company of women, even if turns out you don't want to fuck each other.
    I'm thinking of getting a 'makeover' this week - getting rid of my long locks and shaving off my beard.
    Glad to hear all of this. Lady time is good for the soul (or whatever agnostics call it).
    Tilda Swinton's presence will have me watching this thing.

When it was first announced it went straight into my "movies that don't need to be remade" folder.
    Same here. I started to take mild interest when Guadagnino was hired, because Call Me Be Your Name was really well-made. I segued into moderate interest when he said he'd be foregoing the original's bold color palette for something of his own (because: GOOD, you couldn't outdo Argento on that anyway) and that he'd be taking only the bones of premise with his goal not being to retell the same story but to create the same sense of grand guignol and dread. Now the trailer has me upgrading again to the point where I'll almost definitely see it in the theater.
    And also: Tilda Swinton.
    I'm thinking of getting a 'makeover' this week - getting rid of my long locks and shaving off my beard.
    You should totally do that. There's a reason why that's a post-breakup/divorce tradition. It's therapeutic. Helps you open yourself up to other changes.
    Evan, if you're not already rocking this song, let me suggest it as The Divorce Jam to End All Divorce Jams:

Some woman just called in to my company and wanted me to say whether someone really could have hacked her boyfriend's Facebook to make it look like he was flirting with another girl or whether he was just lying. I probably should have hung in longer to milk the comedy but I was just like EJECT EJECT EJECT.

I said, "I'm going to stop you right there. We don't provide tech support or Facebook support. We strictly sell professional training. Are either you or your boyfriend in need of professional IT certification? No? Then I am afraid I cannot help you."

She tried again to ask and I said I had literally no idea.

So she got huffy and said, "Well I'm sure SOMEONE cares enough to answer my question" and then hung up.

I should have asked to speak to her BF and said, "DUDE: GET OUT. Your gal is straight up BANANAS."
    Keep in mind, I am a salesman for an IT training company. This would be like calling the sales line at a bar exam prep course company and asking for legal advice. You need to be truly bent to think this is a good idea.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 3,570
    Bent? You mean dishonest? Maybe she's just dumb.
    I was using that more in the slang way, which is to say, fucked up in multiple ways.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bent
    You shoulda had his back. "Yes ma'am. Happens all the time. If I had a nickel for every instance of this I've seen, I wouldn't be working here."
    I just kept thinking of WS Burroughs: "Do not proffer sympathy to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit. Tell them firmly, 'I am not paid to listen to this drivel -- you are a terminal fool!' Otherwise, they make you as crazy as they are."
    I talked to my first heathen chick on the phone last night. It didn't go badly...exactly, but I figured out real fast that she wasn't someone I wanted to spend time with. I hope I'm not being too picky. She sounded a bit like a hick, and she was maybe a little too aggressive for me. I mean, I'd love to get laid, but she sorta scared the 'fuck' outta me.
    Good on you for having the call. I think you can trust your instincts. You want to make your first time (in a while) special.
    I just don't want to find out in a first phone that chick is a size queen who likes kinky shit. I don't know, call me old-fashioned.