Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Talk about a spoiler!

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 5,855
Good morning!
11873470_10152961838271218_518240900989153601_n.jpg
600 x 501 - 52K

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 5,855
    It was time I started a new thread, I think.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,802
    Good morning!!! Not even going to beat around the bush.

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU GUYS DOING THIS WEEKEND?
    edited August 2015
    Do you remember all the troubles with my step-daughter? Well, she didn't speak to her mother for about two years. But a month ago, she decided she wanted to come back... Sunday, we're having a "brunch" ("Brunches" are silly, but I don't decide these things) with all the family, grandparents, us, her, the lot!
    First of all... BRUNCHES ARE NOT SILLY. They are delicious and you can drink booze at 11am.
    Secondarily, I am really really glad to hear about your stepdaughter! Hard to know where her head is at and what will come out of this. But just getting together and hashing it out is a great first step.

Let us know how it goes.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 4,081
    That is awesome news, Dan.
    Best thing I have seen online in ages:

These new Law & Order plots are getting out of hand...

Those are from Liarstown USA, which turns out to be pretty awesome in general:

Holy shit, you have to go to this site:

http://liartownusa.tumblr.com/
    edited August 2015
    "Hello, I'm Mr. Brunch. I think... Not sure. My father was Mr. Lunch, my mother was Madam Breakfast, but I don't really know who I am..."

Anyway, to me at least, "brunch" is something yuppies do enthusiastically.

Are you *gasp* a YUPPIE, Eric?
    edited August 2015
    Eric said:
    Secondarily, I am really really glad to hear about your stepdaughter! Hard to know where her head is at and what will come out of this. But just getting together and hashing it out is a great first step.
    I have a feeling that she isn't ready to talk about what happened, and that if things get heavy, she'll just skedaddle once again; for the time being, it all seems a bit fake to me. Nevertheless, I'm glad she's back.
    That is a great site. Digging the Social Justice Kittens.
    Are you *gasp* a YUPPIE, Eric?
    You are terrified because I am Living My Truth and singing a Song of Myself.
    That is a great site. Digging the Social Justice Kittens.
    Matt is going to have a nerdgasm!
    The Business Fantasy books cracked me up.
    edited August 2015
    Hey, I can edit comments, but I can't delete them!
    This one, for some reason, made me laugh:
    tumblr_n65m25OEO61s71q1zo1_1280.png
    684 x 975 - 719K
    We watched the first episode of Residue on Netflix. It got really mixed reviews, but it had a good cast (two from GoT) and some of the writers and directors behind Misfits and Utopia, though, so we gave it a shot anyway. Through the first episode at least, it was very good. Extremely well-photographed, a little weird, science fiction-ish.

Here's the trailer, but be warned, if you're already intrigued, just skip it, as there's a reveal in the first 5 minutes of the show this will ruin.

edited August 2015
    Tame Impala is one of those bands where I am sorta like, "Hey, this is pretty good." but pretty much go blank on them when I discover that every song sounds essentially the same.
    100% agree. I like most of what I've heard of their songs, but more on the level I'd like some random side 2 track off of a better album. It sounds like it belongs next to something I'd like, but it never takes off enough to grab me on its own.
    I watched Straight Outta Compton last night. It's about 40 minutes too long, is my primary complaint. The primary complaint many other people have is that it follows a traditional star-is-born/Behind the Music formula and glosses over things like Dre's violence toward women. The thing is, I think the movie ends up being overlong specifically because the filmmakers are trying to make more out of it than that. Yeah, there is definitely a side of it that wants to be a crowd pleaser. But it also spends its second half and then some trying to look at how success tore them apart. I think Gray is trying to make some larger points about how the system is set up to exploit black artists at best and turn them against each other at worst. He just falters because of what a thornier, less satisfying story that is and because of what a tonal shift it makes from the first part of the film.

They could have done more about their hostility toward women, though, for sure. And they might have paid at least lip service to the hypocrisy of NWA's "reality raps." I mean, this is a group that performed "Dope Man" and also complained about being mistaken for drug dealers in "Fuck Tha Police." All of the actors are very good, though. It's a tentative recommend on my part if you liked NWA.
    How was Paul Giamatti? He looked a little over the charicaturesque in the trailers.
    He was good. He managed to make Heller seem like he both legitimately cared for and respected Eazy and the others and was still comfortable rationalizing more or less ripping them off.

His white coif made him look so much like a Jewish version of my friend Monty that it was distracting to me personally for a little bit though.
    edited August 2015
    The guy who plays Eazy-E is by far the best actor in the entire film, he hits all of the notes the real Eazy did: actual real world badass, fumbling but weirdly charismatic rapper, would-be leader prone to poor decisions, the works.

Cube's son does well by him mostly by looking and sounding exactly like his old man.

The guy who plays Suge Knight is legitimately unsettling and threatening in the same way the real guy was, so good on him.
    edited August 2015
    I finished reading Heinlein's The Puppet Masters yesterday. Typical Heinlein story, filled with fast paced action, tight plotting, stereotypical Heinlein characters (the grumpy old man, the sexy hard-nosed vixen, a Competent Man for a hero, the occasional wingnutery, etc.). It's fun but, like of lot of Heinlein, it hasn't aged well.

Anyway, at the end of my edition, there was a postface written by one Sarah A. Hoyt, a science-fiction and fantasy writer. It caught my attention because the lady, now married to an american, says in it that she was born and raised in Portugal.

In her postface, she tried to imply a loose ideological connection between soviet-styled communism, left-wing ideology in general, islamism and the war on terror. It sounded like wingnuttery to me, but things were left vague enough that I felt the need to investigate. I mean, we shared a country of birth, I had nothing better to do and the internet makes these things easy. I could waste five minutes on this lady.

I'm glad I did, 'cause while I was looking her up, I came across one of the most unintentionally funny bullshit rantings written by an unhinged teabagging nutter I have ever had the good fortune of reading.
    I'm in. Probably on cable though. Doesn't seem like a big screen must see.
    edited August 2015
    I give to you I am Spartacus, by Sarah Hoyt. It's a bit long but, in my opinion, it is worth it:
    I Am Spartacus
    Posted on August 15, 2013 | 1,011 Comments
    I am Spartacus* because for all too long I stayed quiet. I stayed quiet because baby needed shoes (often literally) and I needed work in a biased field that would blacklist me as soon as they knew my true self.

I allowed my loyalties and beliefs to be assumed from external appearances and origins – I allowed them to believe I must be extreme left because I’m female, of Latin origin, and have somewhat more than a Master’s degree in Modern Languages and Literature. (I would go back for the doctorate, I would, but I’m not willing to stay quiet anymore.) Those years of festering silence weigh within me, and in the scales of eternal justice I’m afraid I’ll get counted with the enemies of Liberty, because I was quiet, I consented.

I am no longer quiet.

I am Spartacus writ small. I am Spartacus praying that I never need to stand physically facing the might of the largest power the world has ever known. I can tell who would lose. Because of that I am battling in the mind, to avoid the evil hour as long as I can yet. Maybe, if a miracle occurs, to avoid it altogether.

I’m fully aware that even in this battle of the mind the consequences can be death or worse. I’m fully aware that once you identify as an enemy of the utopia to come – or even if you just fall in a category they don’t like – there are a million ways for death to come: in the dark of night, with a bullet to the back of the head, like the Polish officers in the Katyn forest; in public trials like the people who thought “if only Stalin knew”; in the despair of an engineered famine like the victims of the holomodor. No, we haven’t got there yet, but there are ways for a living death too: anyone know where Nakoula B. Nakoula is? And we won’t talk of the unjustified hounding of the lady who runs True the Vote. There are ways to drive you to darkness and despair, even now. And if they can get away with it, it will only get worse.

I am Spartacus because they think a hellish mix of Brave New World and 1984 is a consummation devoutly to be hoped for.

I am Spartacus because I have two sons and might have grandchildren. For the generations uncounted ahead, mine or others, with my blood or not, I am Spartacus so they don’t have to live with a boot stomping on a human face forever.

I am Spartacus because our institutions are being corrupted, our system of checks and balances ignored, and we’re being ruled by Imperial Dictate by a blind man who sees the world through instruments and his instrument is an ideology made of Hegelian dialectic and fury signifying nothing and leading to death.

I am Spartacus because our betters have decided that the national debt no longer needs to be reported and that it will now simply be copy pasted from the total about two weeks ago, forever. And because they believe this can go on forever.

I am Spartacus because our media are palace eunuchs gazing avidly at the harem of power and stroking their impotent pens in time to the rape of our liberties.

I am Spartacus because Benghazi.

I am Spartacus because our voting system is corrupted beyond belief and the political elites have sewn themselves into a cocoon of fraud, via mail-in-ballots and voter fraud and fight against any attempt to clean the mess even minimally – because they know they’d never win another election again, if the elections were only as corrupt as they are, say, in India.

I am Spartacus because Fast and Furious.

I am Spartacus because a Rodeo Clown CAN laugh at the king. As can we all. As SHOULD we all.

I am Spartacus because of a bloodied handprint on the wall of an embassy in Benghazi. I am Spartacus because four men were abandoned to die, and might have been set up to do so.

I am Spartacus because of 300 and some murdered Mexicans so the precious flowers in DC could prove their false-but-accurate inner truth in the ridiculous, vile plot that was Fast and Furious.

I am Spartacus because you can’t get blood from a stone or money from people who have been hanging on by their fingertips and because you can only run the printing presses so fast.

I am Spartacus because political speech should not be punished with audits.

I am Spartacus because while the United States isn’t blameless – which human institution is? – it has nothing to apologize for, and a tour of apology should have been enough for a treason trial. It gives aid and comfort to the enemy and endangers the Republic.

I am Spartacus because of the UNREAD Obamacare bill, passed by legalistic shennenigans and putting my life in the hands of bureaucrats.

I am Spartacus because the Founding Fathers are turning in their graves so fast that if we put leads in there, we’d solve all our energy problems – forever.

I am Spartacus because summer of recovery 1, and 2, and 3, and 4, and 5… and?

I am Spartacus because at some point you have made enough money – AND THAT’S FOR YOU TO DECIDE, not bureaucrats. And if you never think you’ve made enough money, that’s your decision.

I am Spartacus because I want the government to leave me alone.

I am Spartacus because I DID build that.

I am Spartacus because our schools are horrendous, and now we don’t even have standards — or requirements — to learn American history or culture in the schools. It’s permitted not to teach them at all. Or to teach whatever crazy version you please.

I am Spartacus because the Feds have no business in education — none.

I am Spartacus because wise Latina does not qualify you for the most powerful law body in the land – no race, not ethnicity, no characteristic of birth or position SHOULD. Only hard work and intelligence and devotion to the constitution.

I am Spartacus because I’m tired of everything being “racist” or “sexist” as a means of stopping speech.

I am Spartacus because of insanity over brown bagging it, and women in chain mail bikinis — and these are my middle fingers at all that.

I am Spartacus because there are crimes so great, so heinous, so horrible that they scream to the ages for vengeance and cleansing and their horror cracks the vault of heaven.

To stop the crazy train, to preserve as much as I can of the greatest nation the world has ever known, I Am Spartacus.

To this end I pledge my life, my fortune and my sacred honor.

And no, I don’t think it’s a joke. This has long since stopped being just a game.

*The Spartacus this refers to is the myth of the brave slave standing against the Roman empire and how everyone claims to be him in the climatic scene. The original book, as written, was a lance thrust at the US by having Rome as a stand in, and made some sort of paradise out of ancient Germania. We won’t go into that. Rome was unspeakably vile, but withal, it was as much more civilized than its neighbors as we are from people who behead seven year olds in honor killings.