Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I doubt we're actually going to Graceland

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 2,648
    edited September 10
    Last night, I went into Simon's room and he closed his tablet really fast. I asked what he'd been watching and after some prodding, he admitted it was a Rick and Morty game playthrough. I said the things I felt like I was supposed to say about how he shouldn't watch stuff like that, etc.

And then about ten minutes later, I went back in and said, "You know what? You can watch anything you want. You just have to watch it with me, if it's outside of the normal range of stuff we've let you watch alone before."

I didn't want to step onto his toes as he's starting to evolve his tastes. I mean, I can't have him watching Rick make a dead hooker joke without a parent to talk to, but I am down with him reaching out to less traditionally-kid-friendly stuff.

I can feel him starting to change. He keeps wanting to try spicy food. He's been reading "scary" books. He's very interested in rock music suddenly. (He loves The Hives, which fine, cool, not bad for a 9 y/o.) I'm torn between wanting to preserve the very gentle, kind, wholesome kid he is right now and the urge to sherpa him on into some of the stuff I know is just around the corner.

I figure if I just give him carte blanche but make sure I'm along for the ride, I can maybe let him do his own thing at his own pace.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 1,584
    Rick and Morty is a tough call. It's genuinely funny and routinely smart, but they also take pleasure in being inappropriate. BoJack Horseman is the other one that S____ and I disagree about. She doesn't think they should watch at all. I lean toward watching it together.

Those kind of shows are generally good hearted.

My fear is the meme world. Plenty of meme sites don't have goalkeeper. Straight up sexist, racist, nazi shit pops up. Not to mention the preponderance of self-hatred and suicide themes. I talk to my younger one about that scene quite a lot and have had to shut down his finsta account for sharing questionable stuff.

edited September 10
    I figure "He can watch what he asks to watch, if we watch together" works for now if only because I know he's too timid to throw out something like "Let's go see The Nun" or "I see Showgirls is on tonight..." Not sure how long that will take care of itself before I have to start saying no, though.

The meme world is going to be tricky. I've been trying hard to impress upon him lately one rule for comedy that I hope will inoculate him a bit in advance: absolutely no punching down. I'm not foolish enough to think that will be sufficient, but I want to lay the groundwork for later conversations now.
    Aw shit. Jim Cantore just arrived in Wilmington, NC where my dad lives. This is not good.
    Shit indeed. PMAs to your dad. My brother Jonathan and his wife are in Raleigh-Durham. Further inland which helps, but still, I worry.

Jonathan;s wife is one of the smartest and most practical people I know, so I am sure they are doing what needs to be done to be ready, but I am still worrying for them.
    My dad, on the other hand, is planning on riding it out because he is concerned about his bees.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 3,569
    I had to look-up Jim Cantore. Hurricane Florence, right?
    It turns out Jonathan and Sasha won't even be in town. They leave for Bermuda tomorrow and don't get back until Sunday.

Even then, as long as they're able to fly back into town, they should be in good shape. Their place is right where the mountains start and it's a fair bit above sea level. The abundance of tall trees means they'll likely lose power and of course, a lot of stuff will be shut down. But they've hoarded food and water and batteries appropriately.
    edited September 11
    I hope everyone will be fine. 'Cause if things get bad, and the local governments get overwhelmed and need federal help, well, just look at what happened to Puerto Rico...
    edited September 11
    All of my PMAs are for Eric's dad and his bees.
    I had to look-up Jim Cantore. Hurricane Florence, right?
    Sorry, should have put an explainer on that. I think that's an exclusively American reference.

Jim Cantore is the guy that shows up at hurricane ground zero and gets blown around for our amusement on the Weather Channel.image
    JCKC
    So what are you up to, Eric?
    Oh, feeling thankful that wisdom or my stepmother (probably the latter) has changed my father's mind. They're heading inland.
    And now that I'm not worried about them, I can concentrate on hoping Florence doesn't fuck up my Paul Simon show on Friday night.
    I'm listening to that new Bob Woodward book and I tell you, it is not helping my mood.
    whoof. Yes the reactions I've seen seem to be "we don't even know how bad this actually is"
    Posted today on the internets:

"Anyone in the Carolinas should evacuate immediately. Same with the other 48 states."
    I'm maybe five chapters in but the characterization of Trump in this book is really striking. Woodward doesn't portray him as particularly stupid, just too entitled and self-absorbed to feel the need to invest any intellectual rigor, focus, or deep thought. Functionally, that makes him stupid, but it's not the same thing as just not having the faculties.

Woodward also definitely buys into the idea of Trump as amoral. He's not evil, he's just so rich and entitled as to be completely insulated from the consequences of anything he might do to get what he wants.

It rings pretty true the way Woodward writes it.
    Not dumb, willfully ignorant. That feels about right.
    I am of the mind after diving into this book that Trump's take on morality is: it's only wrong if they can get you for it; I'm too rich for them to get me for anything; therefore, I couldn't possibly do anything wrong.
    edited September 13
    In my opinion, very few humans are "particularly stupid". People who are "particularly stupid" usually have neurological problems. Maybe Trump has developed one of those, now that he's an old fart. But he doesn't have to suffer from one, like Reagan did towards the end, I mean, there are plenty of supposedly smart humans who, out of ignorance, entitlement and habit, act like total dumbasses. There are plenty of people who would rather die than think.
    Trump says 3,000 did not die in Puerto Rico hurricane, claims Democrats manipulated numbers

Basically, president Shit-fer-brains rejects independent study that reports an estimated 2,975 people died in Puerto Rico in 5 months after Hurricane Maria; provides no evidence to discount the study; declares, without evidence, that the higher death toll is political ploy to make him look bad.
    I don't think the difference between whether Trump is stupid/evil or just entitled/willfully ignorant is important in terms of effects. It's important in terms of understanding why privilege at that level is so fucking poisonous.
    An object lesson in the old cliche that absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    It's not even just power, though: it's privilege.

There's a scene where Bannon is telling Trump that there's a populist movement going on in this country.

"That's me! I'm a popularist!" Trump said, excitedly.
    “No, no," Bannon said. "It’s 'populist.'"
    “Yeah, yeah," Trump insisted. "A popularist.”
    And then Bannon starts thinking about how there's an antiquated version of the term that is "popularist," and decides this is what Trump means, that he knows the real word, but he's using the older version to draw a line connecting his path from fame to populist politics.

People going out of their fucking way to concoct explanations for you being a dumbass... that's privilege for you.
    Ok, so we'll need a new cliche.
    What's everybody planning on getting up into this weekend?
    Scouts starts up again tonight. Then, tomorrow is an odd one.

My boss (the nice one, that I like, who babysat Simon last week) is taking his family to a nearby resort/waterpark. He told his kid she could take a friend. She asked to take Simon. So Tilda and I are getting an unexpected date night. We're going to go to the movies to see A Simple Favor then probably go home and enjoy a childless night in the usual ways.

Sunday, Simon gets back and we're doing Mimosa Sunday with those Romanian cheese doughnuts and some grilled sasusages
    That sounds like a lovely batch of plans. Well done.