Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Relieved I don't need to watch.

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
Yep.

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    edited September 2018
    One of my biggest pet peeves is how five big publishers control most of the big research papers and demand obscene amounts of money for access to scientific articles. Considering that the job of editing and writing the articles is typically done by scientists for free, and that the research is often funded by governments, this is a RIP-OFF OF TRUMPIAN PROPORTIONS!

But things are slowly changing.

Scientific publishing is a rip-off. We fund the research – it should be free
    Last week, a consortium of European funders, including major research agencies in the UK, France, the Netherlands and Italy, published their “Plan S”. It insists that, from 2020, research we have already paid for through our taxes will no longer be locked up. Any researcher receiving money from these funders must publish her or his work only in open-access journals.
    When I read this, I danced a little jig.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    Particularly in an environment that no longer requires overhead costs like paper and ink and presses.

edited September 2018
    Yes, indeed! There's no reason to keep doing things the old way. Funny thing is, as far as I know, 50 years ago, when there was way more overhead, prices were less extortionate! It's just a fucking scam, that's all.
    So I stumbled upon a Peter Cushing Dr. Who movie last night and I didn't know that was a thing. I guess he did two of them. The special effects were pretty impressive (in relative terms).

It came on yet another station that my cable provider just added. "Comet" which appears to be nothing but vintage low budget sci-fi. So... yeah, I'll be keeping an eye on that.
    I can no longer be arsed with cable TV and regular TV. I download or stream whatever I want, no commercial breaks, no waiting. I never have the time to watch much TV (one hour a day, tops!), and I rarely get to decide what TV to watch.

The family's been watching the latest version of Anne of Green Gables. I think it kinda sucks, but wifey and little S. are fans, so I put up with it.

Lately, when I do find the time to watch something by myself, I've been watching the fourth season of Better Call Saul.
    Tried to watch Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency with the family: too violent. Tried to watch Stranger Things: too scary.
    Yah, we've done stretches like that, but at some point our internet provider offered HBO and a modest batch of cable stations for $15 a month extra, so we bit.

It's like radio for me in some ways. Yes, I can put on any album in the universe at any time, but sometimes I want to just surf around what's being broadcast out there live.

My family conundrum is that A____ is now old enough for GoT but E____ isn't. Would love to get A____ up to speed in time for the final season, but just don't see that happening.
  • Our family conundrum is that Simon is at the cusp of being able to watch scarier PG-13 stuff but his mom keeps nudging him back. "THAT WAS TOO SCARY, RIGHT?"

As soon as the baseball playoffs end, we're canceling cable for a while. I got a pretty powerful attic-mount HDTV antenna and we'll roll with that, streaming services, and downloads for a while.
  • We're about halfway through Jaws but him seeing a bloated dead body about 30 minutes before bedtime put a hard stop on that. We'll have to finish during daylight hours.

I think I want to watch The Poseidon Adventure with him. Tilda hasn't seen it either and I love that one.
    What's Simon's interest level? Eli couldn't wait to go dark. Two years ago, while Aaron was missing a lot of weekends with us, we journeyed into horror. He kept asking for the next level of scary.
    Just reminded myself that he did the same thing with heavy metal music when he was a toddler. "That was great dad, but what is louder and harder and faster than that?"
    Really hope he never gets interested in drugs.
  • (wince/guffaw combo)
  • Simon has become aware that he is missing out on cool stuff by not having graduated to watching scarier stuff. And he likes scary books. But he vacillates between trying to be gung ho to impress me and reverting back to timid/scared mode because it's what his mom seems to expect. He's hard to calibrate for.
    Ah yes. I reckon you'll need to sort out which flavors are ok. Demons are a totally different vibe than slashers.
  • Messed-up looking people seem to be his weak spot. Monsters of all sizes: fine. Ghoulish/undead/deformed people: aw heck naw.
    Yeah, I think I'm kinda in that camp too.

Satanic stuff freaked me out when I was a believing child. I guess that's not surprising.
    edited September 2018
    Little S. hates transformations. Ghouls, vampires, monsters, no problemo. But people transforming into monsters? That shit makes her scream like Shaggy.
    Interesting. Again, the sight of a human being unnaturally altered, whether through zombification or transmutation. I feel like this taps into the same revulsion category as the uncanny valley.
  • My connect for the new gig says things are looking promising. I might have a better job as soon as the end of next month.
    Fantastic. I think I missed where you said there was a search going on. Although it was clear the desire was there. #johnnypaycheck
  • My boss was heard to say yesterday that they expected I would quit when they moved the office.

Doesn't seem to matter to them. Which makes a guy feel GREAT.
    What a total pooptown. Sorry and I'm glad you're getting out of there. That shit wears down your soul over time.
    My boy A____ is skipping Homecoming tonight and having an all night D&D quest with his crew.

NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    I, over here on the cool end of the spectrum, will be attending Sir Elton John's concert tonight.

We are trying out a new Cuban place beforehand and got a hotel. So we're being sort of fancy.
    How about y'all's plans?
    Rest, rest and more rest. I had a busy, busy week. One geological excursion, one difficult lab, plus a lot of class preparation.

And a visit to a couple of high schools: Little S. will start high school next year, so we're already going to open-door events.

I'm beat!
    Aw yay. Hope tiny S. finds a school she loves.
    Oh, by the way...

Know what I mean?