Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We out here making HISTORY!

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 2,648
    DANSPLAINING
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 3,569
    Stupid shit that made me laugh:
    tumblr_pg7pec4olR1s392slo1_1280.jpg
    579 x 1008 - 108K
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 1,584
    I enjoyed that.
    Not sure if I shared this already, but with the lottery up over $650MM, it is timely again...

A few weeks back, i was driving Lyft and a passenger started in on the lottery.

"If I won, I'd still show up for work on Monday. I'm just that type. Know what I mean?"
    "Sir, if I found out right now I had won the lottery, I would leave you on the side of the interstate and you would have to find your own way home."
    edited October 16
    Ah yes, the lottery, also known as the "poor dumbass's retirement plan"!
    I consider $2 a small price to pay for for 2-4 days of "What I would do if I won the lottery" fantasies. I'd never spend more than that, though. Because that's all I'm doing: is buying the right to have that fantasy for a little while. It's not like $4 would buy me twice as many fantasies.
    Every office I've ever worked has the one guy that organizes a big buy when the total prize makes headlines. I'm happy to toss a couple bucks in. I think partly out of FOMO. It would be dreadful to be the only sucker left in the office if the impossible were to happen.
    I got another chance to respond to an "I'd still come in to work" fuckhead, this one a co-worker.

"I not only wouldn't come in to work, I'd buy one of our competitors and price their stuff at half off until this company was completely fucking ruined."
    That's the spirit!
    I'm more bitter than usual about work, because that supervisor I like is--barring the achievement of some intentionally ludicrously high goals--going to be fired no later than the end of the month. Maybe sooner. He's a good dude and doesn't deserve this. He has a big call with the potential new things today though, so maybe that will work out and he can quit first.
    Here's to the good boss.

One of my colleagues here is on her second interview at another firm. It's a shame but I don't blame her. She is not supported by our local management. None of us really were (the local management is afraid of corporate) but the last time I felt that way, I gave them hell for throwing me under the bus. This was a couple years ago and they have been better since then.
    Did I already mention how good The Haunting of Hill House is? It's a new Netflix series written and directed by Mike Flanagan, who has been just about the single most reliable creator of good spooky movies the last ten or so years. While it changes a good deal from the Shirley Jackson novel, it does so ambitiously and for good reason, not to dumb it down. It ends up being about an entire generation of a family undone by a haunting, told non-linearly. It's very, very good.
    Damn it. (angrily adding that to my must-watch list)
    I think we're giving up on Succession. I feel like they got the point across in the first episode. Plus I'm tired of rich people.
    We are enjoying Maniac, although I'm not recommending until I'm done. If there's not a solid landing for this thing, it's going to feel like a lot of style and not much else. Hopeful there's a good plan in play.
    The new never-before-heard Thelonious Monk recordings are very good and worth checking. Solidly happy upbeat stuff, recorded very well. It's just call "MØNK" and its on Spotify.
    I will never know what it's like to be a billionaire, but there is still time for me to find out how they taste.
    They taste like pork.
    I watched twenty minutes of Maniac and looked at Tilda and asked, "Am I a stupid man? Because I have no idea what the fuck is happening."
    I can't help but wonder if Tilda is the type of wife to answer such a question.
    She has opinions on that subject, yes.
    A_____ is becoming one of THOSE studio clients.

He wrote a string quartet to go in his college application portfolio. This is due before his human quartet will have time to full perfect it, so he asked me to run it through my orchestral sampler so he can have a decent cyber-recording of it.

I went through all the parts and broke things out into different bowing types (stac, pizz,leg, etc) . It took me most of the night and I was feeling pretty good about it.

Next day he comes back "uh.... the sounds are cool but you buried a lot of important phrases. can you go back and balance the whole thing out?"

Spent all night last night doing that. (to be fair, he was right, I had covered up some cool parts)

This morning "it feels a little rushed, can we slow down the entire thing and try again?"

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I am imagining cap turning into John Amos's character from Good Times and telling A____ that "I brought you into this world and I can take you out."
    edited October 17
    Thanks for the rec on the new Monk stuff. I'll give it a spin. Jazz is terrific train riding/reading music. I've been spinning that "lost" John Coltrane album that just got released, Both Directions at Once and it's very good. MØNK will slot in nice with that one, I am betting.
    edited October 17
    I just finished reading The Ritual by Adam Nevill. A kinda promising horror director made a Netflix film out of it that got mostly positive reviews, so I'm looking forward to seeing that.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 1,346
    Hey Jeff, I'm digging that Glands album.
    If I won the lottery I'd give my job to someone who needed one.
    I would really hate it if my ex won the lottery. I would also hate it if someone I knew won it. Sure, it would be great to suddenly be bonkers rich, but practically everyone you know would secretly resent you. I think I’ll buy a ticket and give it to my mom.
    edited October 18
    Jesus would get so much money if my mom won the lottery.

Jesus's representatives on earth would get so much money if my mom won the lottery.

Assholes who claim to be Jesus's representatives on earth would get so much money if my mom won the lottery.

Assholes would get so much money if my mom won the lottery.