Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

a good day for a recreational Percocet

124»

Comments

• moetownmoetown Posts: 1,515
    Pinewood derbies are usually rigged, so I’m not surprised.
    edited January 20
    I saw that clip of Greta Van Fleet playing on SNL. Is my opinion that they were just ridiculously awful less valid because I'm in my 50s? I tried to imagine seeing them through the eyes of a 17 yr old. Would I have thought they were cool? Would I have liked their jams? I can't imagine anyone at any age digging these guys. In other news, I'm considering allowing an old down-on-her-luck friend to move into my home with me until she can get on her feet. She said she'd clean and help me get rid of shit I don't need while she looks for a job and a place to live. I know my mom and sister will think it's a crazy idea, but this woman has helped me deal with several bad times way back in the past. I'm not the least bit attracted to this person, which is why I think it could be ok to have a temporary housemate who cleans and organizes stuff. Thoughts?
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 4,436
    If you like her, trust her and owe her, why not? I say do it.
    edited January 20
    Greeta Van Shit!

Hey bands! Wanna make it as a guitar-driven rock band? Then don’t try anything original!

They're basically a fucking tribute band. They're a dumbass's idea of how a rock band should always sound like.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 3,189
    Greta Van Fleet is the fucking worst.
    edited January 21
    Maybe if they had any kind of stage presence I wouldn’t have been so put off, but watching them play that horrible song somehow made it even worse.
    My kid liked Unbreakable (as did many, maybe even most people.) He also liked Split, though in that case, it was as much or more because it was one of his first horror films as anything else. That one is a step above meh, at most.

Anywho, he really wanted to see Glass, the conclusion of the trilogy and so we did.

Glass is a very, very bad movie. The conclusion to Shyamalan's "What if superheroes and supervillains were REAL?" trilogy is about 75% composed of scenes in a psych ward where a shrink tries to convince the main characters their abilities are all in their heads. Maddeningly, AT NO POINT does Bruce Willis simply lift a desk over his head with one hand and nip that shit in the bud.

Also, it's a film with Sam Jackson in the title role that doesn't allow him to speak until the third act.

It's glacially-paced, wholly wrongheaded about how comic books work, and also, for bonus fun, brings back the victim/heroine from Split as someone trying to advocate for McAvoy's multiple personalities psycho because she feels sorry for him, which is some incel fan fiction level bullshit.
    Eh, can't stand M. Night Shyamalan. His movie making permit should have been revoked after what he did to The Last Airbender.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,206
    Does this Greta Van Fleet have a good reputation? Many of my friends have chosen to publicly renounce them. Or are they just so egregiously bad that something MUST be said?
    Ok, I just watched the SNL clip and I have a follow up question. Are we 100% they don't intend this as parody?
    edited January 22
    Remember a British band called The Darkness? At least we knew they were taking the piss.
    edited January 22
    Greta Van Fleet has a good-sized fanbase and big festival slots. But as much as anything, they are proof that the reach of the internet being greater than ever, it is now possible for aggressively mediocre artists to get a bunch of online/viral buzz. Because, after all, your lame uncle and your least cool cousin are online now too. They're the de facto "cool new band" for people who aren't cool and don't like anything new.

If anything, they're like a worse version of Stillwater from Almost Famous, a clumsy simulacrum of what sad normies with mall taste think a great classic band sounds like.
    Music for people who don't really like music.
    edited January 22
    I may actually end up with multiple solid job offers to decide between.

(Funny that someone had already memed more or less exactly the exact Milhouse-based comment I was going to make.)
    NIIIIICE!!!!! Excellent work.
    Hooray!!!
    Excelsior!