Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Super spiked!

Comments

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,206
    As long as they don't dress like us, that's fine.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 3,189
    edited May 16
    There are absolutely bands rocking sounds that could have slotted in to 90s college radio. The interesting this is, so many of them have one or more of: women; people of color; LGBTQ people; non-Americans.
    The Indian-Pakistani employee association had samosas for sale in the lobby today and I am fat and happy.
    nice.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 4,436
    edited May 16
    A nice spicy veggie samosa... Yum!

The Portuguese brought those back from Goa, Damão and Diu back in the day. They call them chamuças, and there are several regional varieties, usually filled with a spicy minced meat preparation.
    I would eat that. My culinary goal is to encounter and eat all of the world's finest junk food, street food, and comfort food. Bring on the grandma dishes and the cookout food. This is my sweet spot.
    Rough day in my family. My aunt (my late dad's twin sister) died. No details yet, but she'd been a morbidly obese chain smoker for maybe 35, 40 years.

She'd been embarrassed about not taking care of herself and had stopped answering her phone.

Poor thing hadn't even been retired a year.

I guess I'm going to go to the funeral and leave Tilda and Simon here because he has school.
    Really sorry to hear that Jeff. Where do you have to travel to?
    Louisville, Kentucky. Usually, that is a nice trip as it's a great place. This time ...yeah.
    My condolences, Jeff. That's going to be a long lonely drive.
    A____ and some buddies are road tripping up to the Montreal Jazz Festival in July. Any thoughts/tips on the subject?
    edited May 20
    Typically, the free outdoor shows are not worth the trouble: too crowded and you can barely see the musicians. You can hear them sometimes, but that's it. If they wanna come up, they should identify a few indoor performances (that is, stuff that isn't free) they want to see and go see that. Those are usually worth it.

This way, if they're lucky and catch a cool outdoor show, that will be the cherry on top.
    edited May 20
    Where will they be staying?
    Ooo, neat! This year, the line up includes Julian Lage and Mulatu Astatke! I might go see that.
    Julian Lage is in September though. But there's Connan Mockasin, Cortney Barnett and Voïvod in early July.
    And Mercury Rev!
    They are camping on the way up there, but have a hotel set up while in the city. I'll have to find out which one.
    edited May 21
    So you know that thing about how people die and then their cats eat their bodies? Not an urban myth, it turns out.
    Let me know when everyone is caught up on Game of Thrones so we can make jokes.
    1. gaaaahhhh
    2. Watched it last night.
    edited May 21
    Seeing a million variations on this joke and loving each of them:

Highlight below to read. (SPOILERS)

TYRION: ... and who has a better story than Bran?

ARYA, A TEENAGED ASSASSIN WHO HAS MASTERED SHAPE SHIFTING AND KILLED THE UNSTOPPABLE ZOMBIE KING: Who has the what now?
    I didn't hate the GoT finale like a lot of folks did. But I do think it maybe focused on endings for the characters as opposed to resolution of the larger sociological issues.

Really, it was kinda like when you're making a poster board in third grade and you start off making very big letters and then later realize you're running out of space and your letters get smaller and smaller. This season kinda handled the larger thematic threads like that.
    Yeah. I rolled through most of the season just sort of enjoying the moments, but each Monday I'd start compiling a list of dumb/pointless things that the writers did to get through their checklist the night before. Those lists started really piling up. I'm not an angry GoT'er but I also don't have enough ammunition to defend this season.
    edited May 21
    If I were in charge of the Blu-Ray final cut:

MONTAGE: All surviving characters get a short scene showing where they ended up while the music swells.

The King's crown is slowly lowered onto Bran's head. When fully nested, Bran's eyes turn an icy blue.

END CREDITS
    edited May 21
    BRAN, EVERY TIME SOMEONE SPOKE TO HIM FOR THE LAST TWO SEASONS: I am no longer Bran. I do not trouble myself with the affairs of men.

COUNCIL: We dub thee King Bran the Broken.

BRAN: Yeah, that sounds dope.
    Also...

BRAN, A CLAIRVOYANT WITH THE SUPERPOWER TO SEE THROUGH THE EYES OF ANY PERSON OR ANIMAL: I will need a new Master of Whisperers.
    I stopped watching around the middle of season 6. I used to love the show, I think the first 3 seasons are probably some of the best TV ever made, but as things started to catch up with the books, the writing became worse and worse. By season 6, I lost patience and gave up.

Remember how we loved Lost, and then it turned to shit?
    So you know that thing about how people die and then their cats eat their bodies? Not an urban myth, it turns out.
    Do tell!
    Do tell!
    No.
    We watched the first episode of Chernobyl and that was HARROWING.