Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

That was as satisfying as seeing a nazi get punched.

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 4,574
edited July 26 in Main
Good moaning, dears! Time for a new thread.

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 3,256
    So what's everybody doing this weekend?

I'm going to see Jawbox. If I'm being honest, I don't have the foggiest idea who they are. I just felt like hanging out with a buddy visiting from Kentucky and that show is where he's going. Are they awful? Should I be concerned?
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 4,574
    edited July 26
    Jawbox? Is that the same Jawbox that were on Discord? I had no idea they were still around.

Do you like Fugazi? Jawbox are in the same ballpark: very serious and intense early 90s post-hardcore. In my opinion, which is mine, it's good music, albeit a bit dated by now. I've never seen them play so I don't know if they put on a good show.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,276
    Never listened to them and I thought I was the only one that didn't. So this is making me feel slightly better.
    The guy invited me by text at like 11 pm and I bought my ticket immediately only realizing when I got the payment confirmation that it was Jawbox and not Jawbreaker.

#sleepyoldmanproblems
    No boys this weekend, soooo.... house projects, playing my new piano night and day, mixing the boys' new album and sexual congress with my legal spouse.
    Dutifully doing your duty.
    Here's my kiddo enjoying himself at music camp in Romania. He'll be home in 18 days. Ready to have him back

received_448301259234673.jpeg
    2730 x 4096 - 443K
    received_462588494291778.jpeg
    4096 x 2730 - 562K
    This camp is in Hungarian. Him and 28 little Transylvanian kids in Magyar all day long.
    edited July 26
    By the way, Eric, I'm surprised that you can predict in advance that you're going to engage in a bit of the old in-out, in-out! Are your powers of persuasion that good? Or are you guys on a schedule or something?

I mean, my batting average is good, I think, but I never assume that I'm going to get a home run, or else I'll risk being a pest or getting disappointed, if you know what I mean.
    edited July 26
    This camp is in Hungarian. Him and 28 little Transylvanian kids in Magyar all day long.
    I read that aloud, doing my best Bela Lugosi impression. Blah!
    Love those pics. He's getting big!

Eli is wrapping up Jazz Camp today with a noon concert. babymama is getting video for me.
    By the way, Eric, I'm surprised that you can predict in advance that you're going to engage in a bit of the old in-out, in-out! Are your powers of persuasion that good? Or are you guys on a schedule or something?

I mean, my batting average is good, I think, but I never assume that I'm going to get a home run, or else I'll risk being a pest or getting disappointed, if you know what I mean.
    Oh mostly just positive attitude. We get it in pretty much every weekend unless we have houseguests or someone isn't feeling good. When there is a gap I just take care of myself and can redirect myself towards other types of weekend fun pretty quickly. I used to get more tense about it, but I'm older and lazier and have less testosterone than I used to, so I just shrug and figure next weekend.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 1,529
    I ain’t gettin’ no lovin’ from nowhere. Got no prospects neither.
    edited July 26
    I don't want these to show up on searches, but I have two leads today whose names I will obscure a bit with formatting so I can share them because WOW.

F_lip Sh_ort
    Steve J@cuzzi
    You guys should check out The Boys on Amazon Prime.
    Steve J@cuzzi
    Unknown.jpeg
    235 x 215 - 10K
    The weirdest part of selling to tech guys is the performative rage of the dudes who don't want to buy anything but want to have an extended email chain berating you for wasting five seconds of their time with an email/call.
    edited July 28
    The weirdest part of selling to tech guys is the performative rage of the dudes who don't want to buy anything but want to have an extended email chain berating you for wasting five seconds of their time with an email/call.
    If you can, you should mess with their heads!

My philosophy of trolling involves finding the perfect post: I always attempt to write the most concise message possible, one that will generate a maximum of words in reply. I love it when one single phrase honed to cause maximum annoyance provokes the dumbass I'm trolling into producing an incoherent flood of words. See, for it to work, I have to get into the mind of the trollee, and that takes a certain finesse. I don't always manage to pull it off, but when I do, it's glorious.

But yeah, it's also a waste of time.
    edited July 28
    It might sound callous, but keep in mind that my victims are usually idiots: deniers, racists, far-right morons, crackpots, shitposters, libertarians... The scum of the internets.

And yeah, I know, it's a futile exercise in futility.
    BuzzFeed:
    Which Magic Kingdom ride matches your personality?
    The answer is none, obviously.
    edited July 28
    Hey Eric, out of curiosity... Is Baltimore really "a rat and rodent infested mess"? :-B
    I saw a whole lot more of them in NY, but that might have something to do with neighborhoods.

If you genuinely are curious, there is an amazing documentary called Rat Film that uses Baltimore's historical rat problems to dig into racist and classist policies of the past three centuries that created a lot of the enduring problems that still exist today.

That being said, Baltimore is a fucking amazing city that I love with all my heart and whatshisface can eat a dick.
    edited July 29
    Jawbox was pretty good.

They're sort of the missing link between Fugazi and late 90's/early 00's post-punk which is maybe a bigger deal to people who choose that side of the fork in the road over the indie side.

The crowd was OLD. Like, the only people younger than 40 either worked there or came with their parents.
    T____ and I have started to talk maybe 60% seriously about our plan to leave the country when Simon finishes high school. It's bad here and I think it's going to get worse.
    Where do you think you'd wind up?
    edited July 29
    Not sure. T____ is renewing her EU passport in a few weeks in Romania. The plus side of Hungary being in a shit cycle of stupid nationalism even worse than ours is, they are basically throwing EU passports at people with Hungarian ethnic backgrounds. So Simon can get one easily.

Probably we'd go to Romania. Not ideal, as their government is ridiculously corrupt, to the point of constantly being under investigation from the EU. But, if we cash in our US assets at that point, we'd be affluent there. And better to be in Europe and well on the right side of economic equality than in the US and getting by. I'd have to learn Romanian, but that's better than having to learn Hungarian.

Plus, as an EU citizen, Simon will have a long list of places he can go to college for free.
    The dream would be to be accomplished enough by then that I could petition A Tried & True company to put me to work in Europe. Not sure how realistic that is.