Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

That was as satisfying as seeing a nazi get punched.

124»

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 4,436
    We went to Quebec City last weekend, and while we were walking around the more touristy areas in old Quebec City, we came across an unassuming red door in front of which a large number of asian tourists were taking selfies. I thought that was weird, so I looked it up: How a popular Korean soap opera is drawing Asian tourists to Quebec City
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 3,189
    That new Purple Mountains record Berman made is great.
    Though TBH, it sort of comes off like an extended suicide note now.
    Simon and I are going kayaking on the Chicago River after he gets back. Should be a blast. Right through the loop between the skyscrapers.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,206
    Though TBH, it sort of comes off like an extended suicide note now.
    Yeah. My friend interviewed him a few weeks ago and wrote a great piece that I reread this morning. I don't think anyone who really knew him was shocked. He's been struggling a long time.

https://theringer.com/music/2019/7/10/20686306/david-berman-silver-jews-purple-mountains-drag-city?utm_campaign=theringer&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
    That is awesome. I will expect pics.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 1,515
    It's some sad shit. When I hear about people killing themselves, I can totally relate. I've been living with suicidal feelings off and on since I was 12. When it's bad, it's really fucking bad. When I'm in that state, it's really all I can think of. Even when I'm doing other stuff, it's always floating around somewhere in my mind. But the step from thinking to attempting is an incredibly large one. From my experience, it's impulsive and you're not thinking about the people who'll have to deal with your death. These days, thinking about my mom and how my sudden disappearance from life would affect her has helped me avoid getting anywhere close to attempting anything.

edited August 9
    What good books did you read?
    I finally read the last of Lion Feuchtwanger's trilogy about Josephus. I also read my first my first Harry Crews, A Feast of Snakes. Have you read him? The Dollmaker by Harriette Arnow was this summers big book. I could try to describe them, but I'm much too lazy and you could look up more eloquent descriptions from the people on Goodreads. Some of those people seem to spend as much time writing about what they've read as they do reading the dang books. Light Years by James Salter was also really good. Moanin' at Midnight: The Life and Times of Howlin' Wolf was a lot of fun since I could listen to him while I was reading about him. It's the book that made me think someone should make a biopic about him.
    I loved Harry Crews when I read him years ago. I was wondering the other day how his stuff held up in this era.
    edited August 9
    Dumb shit that made me laugh:

In 1910, the British physician George Murray Levick, a member of Scott's expedition to the Antarctic, decided to spend twelve weeks observing the very large colony of Adélie Penguins (Pygoscelis adeliae) on Cape Adare. Levick filled two notebooks with his observations, and, when he returned to England, published two books on penguins, Antarctic Penguins—A Study of Their Social Habits, and the more technical Natural History of the Adélie Penguin. But he left out an important aspect of Adélie biology—their sexual habits.

The disgusting sex life of the Adélie penguin
    ABSTRACT. A previously unpublished four-page pamphlet by Dr. George Murray Levick R.N. (1876–1956) on the ‘Sexual habits of the Adélie penguin’ was recently rediscovered at the Natural History Museum (NHM) at Tring. It was printed in 1915 but declined for publication with the official expedition reports. The account, based upon Levick’s detailed field observations at Cape Adare (71◦18′S, 170◦09′E) during the course of the British Antarctic (Terra Nova) Expedition 1910, commented on frequency of sexual activity, autoerotic behaviour, and seemingly aberrant behaviour of young unpaired males and females including necrophilia, sexual coercion, sexual and physical abuse of chicks, non-procreative sex and homosexual behaviour. His observations were however accurate, valid and, with the benefit of hindsight, deserving of publication. Here we publish the pamphlet in its entirety, reinterpret selected observations and comment on its significance as a forgotten work by the pioneer of research on Adélie penguin Pygoscelis adeliae (Hombron and Jacquinot 1841) biology.
    Oh, I nearly forgot to ask.

WHATS EVERYBODY DOING THIS WEEKEND!?!?!?!??!
    Harry Crews’ characters remind me of Trumpers.
    WHATS EVERYBODY DOING THIS WEEKEND!?!?!?!??!
    Waiting for this fucking ear infection to go away. Yay me.
    My buddy Phineas and I went and saw Robbie Fulks play the porch at The Hideout then hung out a bit after. Other than that, my big plan is SO MUCH SLEEP.
    edited August 10
    Are you guys familiar with the one and only Orville Peck?
    edited August 10
    Epstein is dead, the whole of the interweb is talking out of its collective ass, yuck ptooey.
    Are you guys familiar with the one and only Orville Peck?
    I love gay cowboy music videos.
    Shouldn’t Epstein have been under suicide watch? Are people saying it was made to look like a suicide?
    I've only heard one or two Orville Peck songs. On paper, it sounds like pretty much exactly my thing. In practice, it hasn't really grabbed me. Maybe I just haven't heard the right songs yet.
    edited August 11
    Shouldn’t Epstein have been under suicide watch? Are people saying it was made to look like a suicide?
    Dunno. Dunno. And as far as I can tell, neither do the internets. But that won't keep people from starting bullshit rumors about anyone they don't like who happened to be caught in a picture with Epstein.

It's quite gross. I figure mobs may soon start harassing pediatricians and shooting up pizzerias or something.

edited August 11
    Maybe the weirdest part of the whole Epstein saga is the way the right keeps pushing his Clinton connections as though it's some kind of gotcha.

"You say Trump was closely connected to Epstein? What about Bill Clinton? He rode the pedo plane 26 times!"
    "If he was involved in the sex ring, he should also go to prison."
    "So what if he was involved in the underage sex ring, huh?"
    "We just said. If he was involved, he should go to prison."
    "See? You've got no answer for that!"

It's so odd that they absolutely cannot conceive of people taking a moral stance that doesn't dissolve into hypocrisy when it suits their political goals.

And honestly, that's telling on themselves in a way I can scarcely fathom.
    edited August 12
    Oh, I'm quite certain it's all Hillary's fault somehow. Lock her up. Or send her back. Whatevs.
    edited August 12
    I can hear from my left ear again! Praise the lawdy, hallelujah!
    That is some excellent news. I go bonkers when one of my ears clogs up. I feel permanently lopsided.
    Indeed! I usually get a solid hour of guitar practicing per day, but last week I've only noodled around a bit. I was too tired, couldn't concentrate, couldn't hear.
    We take A_____ to college on Friday. I am grateful to have had such a fun last weekend with him. We went to a really excellent Jazz festival on Saturday, then spent the rest of the weekend side by side in the studio finishing the final mixes of his album. On the drive back to Pennsylvania I had him DJ and he played me some awesome shit I'd never heard of.

Still processing not having him around as much, but it was exactly what I needed our last weekend of the first act of his life. Cracking each other up, collaborating and talking about music.

I love that dude.