Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unleashing the keepers of the gloom

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 4,436
Good moaning!

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 4,436
    Plenty of reasons to be depressed these days. To be fair, there have always been plenty of reasons to be depressed. "Civilization is in a race between education and catastrophe." - H.G. Wells.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 3,189
    Which is more depressing:

-Trump suggesting we nuke hurricanes

or

-That this almost certainly is something he got from Sharknado

??
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,206
    edited August 26
    Plenty of reasons to be depressed these days.
    That's something I've been thinking about. I am pretty sure I don't have clinical depression. But lately I do feel very depressed about everything being awful. Would drugs help that? Or do they only work for intrinsic chemical imbalances?
    I'm also flabbergasted that we are supposed to take Joe Walsh seriously as the anti-Trump GOP primary candidate.

To pick just a few things, he: suggested armed revolt if HRC beat Trump in 2016; was unabashedly racist on any number of occasions, including mocking Tammy Duckworth; and fell into a segment on Sacha Baron Cohen's What Is America? where he cheered the idea of arming five year-olds ("Kinderguardians.")
    Agreed, he's too much of the same brand.
    He's a crass opportunist who got left off the Trump train and is looking for a way to get relevant again.
    edited August 26
    The first time he cropped up in the news, I genuinely fretted that my dear beloved James Gang rockstar Joe Walsh had turned into an asshole.
    edited August 26
    Joe is gonna raise a bunch of money then turn around and use it to beat a Democrat in a congressional or Senate race. Grifters gotta grift.
    Dumb shit that made me laugh:
    68942264_1414490095372660_7285580344491769856_n.jpg
    389 x 692 - 17K
    aGgdn3N.png
    897 x 1340 - 1M
    edited August 26
    Joy to the world
    The teacher's dead
    The students cut her head
    What happened to her body?
    What happened to her body?

My favorite xmas tune.

Nelson Muntz is a nihilist. He doesn't know what that means.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 1,515
    The first time he cropped up in the news, I genuinely fretted that my dear beloved James Gang rockstar Joe Walsh had turned into an asshole.
    I wish the James Gang could reunite and run for president. Or some other band. “After we give the State of the Union address, I hope you motherfuckers are ready to rock.”
  • KimKim Posts: 582
    I thought it was Joe Walsh, Rocky Mountain Way too.

I have clinical depression. Today I got highly intoxicated on shrimp, ceviche and drank 2 craft beers to try and knock myself out of my funk ha.

Strange Days indeed, most peculiar

It’s going around.
    PMAs and anti-depression particles to you guys.
    Ordering a round of ADPs for all my buds.
    If you enjoyed Fleabag and/or Catastrophe, check out This Way Up on Hulu. Unbalanced UK women being hilarious.
    Phoenix Voters Save Light Rail
    Voters in Phoenix have soundly rejected a proposal that would have halted the expansion of the city’s light rail system — a proposition that had the backing of dark money linked to the notorious anti-transit Koch brothers.

In a 62-to-38 percent vote, residents turned aside Proposition 105, which would have redirected a previously passed tax away from light rail towards other transportation improvements. It would also have required “terminating all construction, development, extension, and expansion of” light rail.

[...]

The effort to end light rail in Phoenix was part of the legacy of the petroleum tycoon and conservative radical Charles Koch and his late brother David, who funded grassroots activist campaigns to kill transit projects in cities around the country.
    edited August 28
    In order to keep MPs from messing with his plans for Brexit, Boris Piccaninny Watermelon Letterbox Cake Bumboys Vampires Haircut Wall-Spaffer Spunk-Burster Fuck-Business Fuck-The-Families Get-Off-My-Fucking-Laptop Turds Johnson has suspended British parliament for 5 weeks.

It seems he is determined to crash out of the EU, deal or no deal.
    Love hearing that Light Rail story. I've been enjoying Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj (it's like John Oliver's show) and he does an episode on why public transportation in America sucks. It was an eye-opener.
    which begs the question... WHY DOES HE HAVE THAT POWER?

I think our executive branch has far too much power as well, but imagine if Trump could just cancel Congressional sessions? It'd be game over.
    edited August 28
    which begs the question... WHY DOES HE HAVE THAT POWER?
    That's British-style parliamentary democracy for you. There's no clear separation between executive and legislative branches: the executive derives its democratic legitimacy from its ability to command the confidence of the legislature. Of course, he can't permanently suspend parliament, but if the Prime Minister has a majority and he's able to keep his MPs in line, he can get away with a lot as long as he isn't openly breaking the law.

Canada has the same shitty system: a few years back, a conservative PM (Stephen Harper) managed to avoid a non-confidence vote by doing something similar.
    Well, he did have to get the Queen to allow it.
    edited August 29
    In Canada, the PM needs to have the assent of the governor general. The GG is supposed to represent the queen. He's appointed by a recommendation from the PM, so he has no democratic legitimacy. It's largely a ceremonial role, and he does what he's told.
    Maybe Trump will just hereby order congress to suspend.
    Maybe Trump will just hereby order congress to suspend.
    You just fucking know he asked somebody that question yesterday.
    edited August 29
    If Democrats aren't going to use what power they have to deal with Trump, they'd better improve at faking it. I mean, if they don't, enough voters might conclude that the guy isn't so bad after all and we'll all be stuck with four more years of this bullshit.
    edited August 29
    (snark)Or even worse, many voters might end-up liking AOC better than Pelosi!(/snark)
    Yes, I think that their congressional inquiries will give them the smoking gun without risking impeachment in a disinterested Senate.

The problem is the Republicans have weakened what those even mean. The mere opening of an investigation used to cause resignations.. now after Benghazi and all the other bullshit investigations, I'm not sure they carry much power any more.

Unless of course, there is solid evidence that can be shared with the public. Wouldn't matter to Trumpians, but the other 60-70% would care.