Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unleashing the keepers of the gloom

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 4,436
    Is that the plot of Lord of the Flies or the Wikipedia entry for the UK?
    Both!

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,206
    Poor Jeremy Renner.
    I was supposed to start teaching today, but the students are on strike. It's kind of a bummer, as it will force me to play catchup, and I hate that.
    And stress for an extra day.

What are they striking about?
    edited September 4
    The support personnel of my university have been waiting for over two years for a collective agreement, but negotiations with the administration are at a standstill. So they went on strike yesterday, first day of school.

Several student associations, in solidarity with the personnel union, went on strike too. My association isn't on strike so, out of duty, I decided to go to work this morning. Only one clueless student came in (Wut?! I'm on strike?! Cool!), so I adjourned.

I hope things will be back to normal tomorrow.
    Scab.
    edited September 4
    Scab.
    Them's fightin' words! Put'em up, put'em up! I'll murderlize ya!
    B25231OZb_330x236.jpg
    330 x 236 - 87K
    edited September 4
    My cat Charlie has learned how to open our bedroom's door. He does a little jump and then pulls on the door handle, unlocking the door. He still needs a few tries, but he's getting pretty good at it. He has managed to pull it off several nights in a row now, and while I do enjoy having him on my chest purring loudly, I don't appreciate it as much when it happens at 4 am!

Since I don't want him to come in and wake us up again, I'm going to switch the door handle for something that locks from the inside this afternoon.

In one hand, I'm kind of proud of him: he's pretty sharp for a cat! But on the other hand, I want to strangle the feline motherfucker. Asshole.
    Charlie deserves to have unfettered access to all rooms in the house. This is an unfair move on your part.
    Our latest kitty drama inolves the scrawniest of our kitties deciding that the largest (and king) cat is no longer welcome in the bed.

The comes in the form of hissing freak-outs if he even comes close. Often times, in the middle of the night. It's pretty impressive how she puts the fear of God into him.
    Charlie deserves to have unfettered access to all rooms in the house. This is an unfair move on your part.
    Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
    Our latest kitty drama inolves the scrawniest of our kitties deciding that the largest (and king) cat is no longer welcome in the bed.

The comes in the form of hissing freak-outs if he even comes close. Often times, in the middle of the night. It's pretty impressive how she puts the fear of God into him.
    Drama!
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 3,189
    Last night, I heard purring from the garage. T___ and S____ and I went in to try to catch it. We found nothing and they thought I was crazy.

An hour later, I heard it again... sounding like it was coming from inside the house. Kitty had crept into the little storage room under the stairs while the garage was open... And had been stuck there all day.

I fished the little tabby out and T____ recognized it as the neighbors' cat. The guy was a little confused we rang his doorbell at 11 but he was glad to get the cat back.
    Nicely done!!
    edited September 5
    My students are still on strike, so no work today. However, I got paid. So I went record shopping this morning: one John Fahey, one Throbbing Gristle, a cheap Lets Active LP, no idea if its any good, but it was so cheap I couldn't resist, and the latest Trans Am.
    Sounds like a good haul.
    Anybody watch the Climate town hall last night?
    Wanted to. But the kid pulled a Don't Feel Like Doing Homework So I Will Pretend This Is Impossible last night. He's running out of steam earlier lately and we may have to get him more sleep.
    I think my whole family probably needs more sleep.
    No big surprises, just everything was MORE.

Bernie and Liz were absolutely great. Super specific, made compelling arguments and took advantage of the format to unpack what one just can't during a debate.

Biden was a shit-show. Incoherent at times, defensive, and of course his plan is the definition of too little too late. He actually used the "well I'm sure I'm out of time" cop out when he talked himself into a circle. Joe... there is NO time limit tonight.

Buttigieg was solid. As always, spoke very well. His plan was a little light but in the ballpark. But I just don't see his campaign catching fire.
    I bash CNN a fair amount, so let me give credit. They had a good questions and packed the house Sunrise Movement kids (youth activist group that I support). No gotcha stuff like the debates. Just let each person unpack their plan for 20 minutes or so.

Good job CNN, for once.
    edited September 5
    get.png
    519 x 350 - 336K
    Hey y'all. A____ and E____'s band "Meadow in Progress" just dropped their first LP on Spotify.
    Cool! I don't use Spotify. And I would like to listen to it. Can you help a brother out?
    edited September 6
    By the way... Have you guys read this?

The coming death of just about every rock legend

I made jerking off gestures several times while reading it. I thought it was a bunch of nostalgic bunkum. The fact that most people aren't listening to "rock records" (whatever that means) anymore doesn't mean "rock music" is moribund. As far as I can tell, the band-penning-its-music-and-playing-it thing is alive and well.

Yeah, it has moved out of the limelight, but so what? There are no more "rock stars". I'm sorry but what's so terrible about that?

I dunno, I mean, the vast majority of the bands I love were active after the heyday of classic rock, and the vast majority of the musicians I have listened through the years never made much money out of their music. To me, "rock music" not being at the top of the charts, particularly the variety of rock I tend to like, is the normal state of affairs. So I don't give much of a shit when people complain that things aren't as they used to be.

Yeah, maybe what happened to jazz will happen to rock... Except that I don't think they'll teach rock'n'roll in music school.

Jazz is still around, and I'm pretty sure rock will keep on trucking'.
    I didn't care for the writing or the wanky conclusions, but I enjoyed it as a cue to ruminate on how near the end the old guard is getting.
    edited September 6
    And another thing: my opinion, which is mine, is that, musically speaking, the vast majority of the old guard haven't been relevant since the late seventies, early 80s. Therefore, I don't think that their eventual disparition will hurt rock music all that much.
    Anyone doing anything fun this weekend?

Some friends of mine are playing in the parking lot of a brilliant BBQ spot in town. It's an annual event that we never miss.

The rest of the weekend is just chores, chores, chores, carnal knowledge and football.
    Nothing special. Wifey's shrink tank (I say that instead of "psychology clinic", shrink tank, get it?) has a dumb work related function this Sunday. To make it more fun, we will probably accompany her, hang out in the 'hood during the meeting and then we'll all go for pizza. There's a pretty good pizza place near wifey's work.