Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A ten year-old classmate of his had on a Jawbreaker shirt.

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 4,436
Bonjour, motherfuckers!

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 4,436
    edited September 19
    Going out on a geological excursion with my class this morning: my favorite part of the job.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 3,189
    Tilda's bday party is Sunday and thunderstorms are expected.

Thanks, universe!
    Netanyahu refusing to concede feels like a sneak preview of our future.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,206
    We should probably take notes.
    Finished Barry last night. Fucking great season.
    What is this "Barry" you mention?
    It was a reality program that ran from 2009-2017 about the last American president.
    edited September 20
    So pictures of Justiiiinnnn surfaced where he's in blackface and brownface and whatnot, and people are very offended, it seems.

Well, I'm not offended. I think it's dumb and embarrassing, but offensive? Nah.

What really offended me was his rank hypocrisy on environmental issues — claiming to be all green but doing the oil business’ bidding at every turn (eg, pipelines). Another thing that I found quite offensive was his complete about-face on his election reform promises.

Thing is, this country elects either liberal or conservative governments, that is, bad or worse, respectively. And if Justiiiiin is toast, that means we'll be governed by conservative scum.
    I think it's shitty and racist. He should be called to the carpet for it and needs to make a sincere apology.

He's still a better candidate that the other one though. And I resent the way conservatives are trying to exploit accountability culture to get us to shoot ourselves in the foot.
    edited September 21
    He has already profusely apologized. Whether he was sincere or not, I can't tell. That seems to be getting more traction in the rest of Canada than in Quebec: the rest of Canada is far more americanized than Qc, so it seems worse to most of them.

There's a context to this stuff. Officially, the Tories don't want to touch the subject of abortion with a 10 feet pole, as most of the Canadian population is pro-choice. But it is well known that a large fraction of the tory parliamentary group is anti-abortion. Recently the liberals embarrassed the conservatives by digging up an old speech where the Tory leader affirmed his firm opposition to abortion on religious grounds.

Basically, the liberals got hoisted with their own petard.
    edited September 20
    I don't give a shit, I've never voted for neither of them. In my riding, the fight is between the New Democratic Party (left to center left and federalist) and the Bloc Québecois (left to center left and pro-independence).
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 1,515
    edited September 21
    Sorry it took so long to answer the question.

Carnival Row was entertaining enough to watch with my mom, though I always get a bit uncomfortable watching sex scenes with her (You get to see naked life-sized Tinkerbell-without-the-magic chicks, sex between humans and fairytale type species, and you get to see Orlando Bloom’s ass). The show’s fear of “the other” theme and its much too obvious parallels to the immigration sitch can get annoying. It’s completely ridiculous and sorta drags here and there, but I did stick with it. I’ve definitely sat through worse, though I’m not sure I would’ve if it hadn’t been a thing to do with my mom.
    Shit's gonna get real, y'all!
    EFFYEHqWkAcNAMC.jpeg
    680 x 474 - 42K
    Yes, I am being sarcastic.
    T____'s party went well. Pretty soggy and we never got to the s'mores, but everyone had a good time.
    Oh good.

We had a cookout with our Happy Hour crew. There is a group of us that rides a particular evening train and everyone brings drinks and snacks. We play music and have a very nice time on Thursdays. I've been doing it for 7 years but the tradition goes back a couple decades.

There are a limited number of white folks in the group and we got assigned the potato salad. Naturally we were a little nervous about getting it right with the many tropes about how bad white people potato salad is. Glad to say it was a success.
    I don't wanna be a dick but... Maybe they were just being polite?
    edited September 23
    As soon as I got outdoors, I started sneezing.

Something's in the air. (Sing it to the tune of John Paul Young's Love is in the air)
    I don't wanna be a dick but... Maybe they were just being polite?
    That is certainly possible for some. But I happened to overhear a conversation between two people who didn't know who made it and they were highly complimentary. So, nyeh.
    Ok. sorry... You know me: nattering nabob of negativism.
    I know y'all don't care about awards shows, but allow me to say that I'm very glad that Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Michelle Williams and Bill Hader all got love last night because it means they can keep making stuff and I like their stuff.
    Super glad no one else is sitting in my cubicle row today because I fell for the dirty lies of The Natural Deodorant People and am paying the price.

Apologies in advance to the nice people on the train.
    edited September 23
    Those lies are dirty. Dirty and very smelly. And they're told by stinking liars who smell of feet and sweat. They have bad breath too.
    I mean sure, using a deodorant without aluminum might save me from Alzheimer's. But I'm going to die alone and smelly if I use this natural shit.
    edited September 23
    I know y'all don't care about awards shows, but allow me to say that I'm very glad that Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Michelle Williams and Bill Hader all got love last night because it means they can keep making stuff and I like their stuff.
    You talking about the Emmys?
    edited September 23
    Little S. is in her room, loudly singing to some dumb pop song in very bad English.

It's so cute!
    edited September 23
    I mean sure, using a deodorant without aluminum might save me from Alzheimer's. But I'm going to die alone and smelly if I use this natural shit.
    You should deodorize. And if you get Alzheimer's, you won't care about our disintegrating civilization.

Glass half full!
    Oof good luck with your commute. been there. It's a yuck feeling.
    Trump ordered hold on military aid days before calling Ukrainian president, officials say
    President Trump told his acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, to hold back almost $400 million in military aid for Ukraine at least a week before a phone call in which Trump is said to have pressured the Ukrainian president to investigate the son of former vice president Joe Biden, according to three senior administration officials.
    “How Has This Bastard Not Been Impeached Yet?” Nixon Asks in Hell
    HELL (The Borowitz Report)—The former President Richard M. Nixon became the latest person to call for Donald J. Trump’s impeachment on Monday, holding an extraordinary press conference in Hell to do so.

“I see the news every day and I shake my head,” Nixon said, the infernal flames of Hades licking his jowls. “How has this bastard not been impeached yet?”

The former President said that the Watergate scandal, which led to his resignation from office, was “like jaywalking” compared to Trump’s interactions with a foreign government.

“I’ll admit that my subversion of democracy wasn’t ideal, but this Ukrainian business is some next-level shit,” Nixon said.

Though clearly aggrieved that Trump has thus far received more favorable treatment from Congress than he did, he showed some grudging admiration for the current occupant of the White House. “If he’s not impeached, he’s the luckiest bastard in the world, and I’ll tell him that when he gets down here,” Nixon said.
    It's absolutely time. I am off the fence.