Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Waffle was more difficult than I anticipated.

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 4,685
'Ello, 'ello, how are you gents this morn?

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 4,685
    Dumb shit that made me laugh:
    69654306_119287889444765_7737816323173908480_n.jpg
    660 x 660 - 25K
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,341
    He was just not gonna be happy unless one of the articles was for breach of the emolument's clause. Pretty sure he was already there but now he's cranked it up to 11.
    Elijah Cummings was my representative. Saw him not long ago speaking at a Baltimore Symphony performance in support of their strike. He was a civil rights leader and the steady hand leading the oversight committee. Hate to lose the good ones. The train home was very somber last night. This area loved him.
    What ch'all doing this weekend?
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 3,328
    Over/under until he calls Nancy Pelosi a bitch in a Tweet or from a podium? I've got fifteen days.
    I give him a week. He called her "MS-13 Lover Nancy Pelosi" and "Crazy Nancy" not long ago.
    edited October 2019
    Nothing on the weekend agenda. Scouts again. Folding laundry.

Wanted to go see Jojo Rabbit but it's not actully playing here yet.
    edited October 2019
    I got nothing too. And I think it's great!
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 1,568
    Whole lotta sleepin’ goin’ on
    edited October 2019
    Trump is enraged that he can't have the G7 party at his house.

Sure it's a grift. But he also wants to show off. What a dumbass!
    My alter-ego, Jimmy Winchell played at an annual outdoor music fest. It was a little fumbly in spots but I got good feedback for his heavily deconstructed Cars, Daniel Johnston, Leonard Cohen and Talking Heads covers.

I tried real real hard to find a way to approach Eddie Money's "Gimme some water" but that nut was just too hard to crack.
    Viva le Jimmy.
    edited October 2019
    Voting day in Soviet Canuckistan. I'm not 100% certain who I'm voting for. I usually vote for the Bloc Québecois... But they seem to have become the federal wing of the Coalition Avenir Québec (our provincial overlords), and I won't stand for that shit. None of the other big parties appeal to me. Maybe I'll vote for a joke party this time.
    The important part is that you get your I Voted sticker.
    Stickers?! Fuck that! I want a "I voted" t-shirt!
    edited October 2019
    Maybe I shouldn't vote! See, as far as I know, no politician promised to give me a "I Voted" t-shirt if I did.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 1,568
    Sounds reasonable.
    edited October 2019
    We got a Liberal minority government. Considering what's possible, that is, Conservative majority, Liberal majority, Conservative minority, Liberal minority, this is the best scenario.

It is unlikely that the Liberals will rule with the help of the tories: too much animosity. The Bloc and the New Democratic Party have enough MPs to hold the balance of power. But the Liberals won't seek help form the Bloc, that's political kryptonite outside Quebec. So the centrist LIberals will probably have to rule with the help of the leftie NDP.

The Quebec nationalist Bloc Québecois, which was thought to be moribund, tripled its support. The NDP almost got erased in Quebec, and they lost support elsewhere. The only NDP riding left in Quebec is my own. My MP isn't a bad dude, so I don't mind too much.

Highlight of the day: Maxime Bernier, the dumbest member of parliament, ex-tory and founder of a new far-right party (the People’s Party of Canada) lost his seat. The PPC got less than 2% of the vote and didn't elect a single MP. Awww.
    <:-P
    I finally voted for the Bloc, more out of habit than conviction. However, I was really tempted to vote for the Rhinoceros Party (a joke party known for making funny outlandish promises, like promising to end Canadian winter and stuff like that).

This time, they found a candidate with the same name to run in the same riding as Maxime Bernier, which I thought was very funny. And in my riding, their candidate was Jos "Guitar" Lavoie, a busker who became semi-known a few years ago after he was beaten by a cop. So I was tempted.
    Highlight of the day: Maxime Bernier, the dumbest member of parliament, ex-tory and founder of a new far-right party (the People’s Party of Canada) lost his seat. The PPC got less than 2% of the vote and didn't elect a single MP. Awww.
    That's my kinda news.
    Tell me about the NDP. Is that Singh's party? I know precious little about them/him, but he gives me a good vibe.
    edited October 2019
    Singh is presently the leader of the NDP. He's not a bad dude, although I must admit that it bothers me a little that his religious beliefs seem to be more important to him than winning votes. But, at least, unlike many christian politicians, he's honest about it.

The NDP is a social democratic party, that is, they're left wing. If I felt Canadian, I would probably vote for them. But see, I'm a Quebec separatist. I don't vote for no federalists, even when they're namby-pamby, lovey-dovey lefties like Jagmeet Singh and the NDP.
    What are the issues that make you a separatist?
    edited October 2019
    Ok, this is going to take some time... Bear with me!

Well, I wasn't a separatist, not initially. There was an independence referendum in 1995, and I voted against separation. See, politicians from the rest of Canada were promising to respect Quebec's particularities, there were people flown in from the rest of Canada to downtown Montreal to march in favor of national unity, English Canadians were all "we love you, don't leave". I believed them.

When the results came in (the side against separation won by about 50 000 votes, 50,58 % against, over 90% of the population voted), I thought: man, that was close! Something must be done! Some of Quebec's grievances must be acknowledged, there must be a way of bringing Quebec back into the fold, make Quebec sign the Canadian constitution (Quebec has never signed the Canadian constitution because there's nothing in it that takes into account the fact that Quebec is different from the other provinces), Quebec's particularities must be recognized...

It has been 24 years, and nothing has happened. Everything is as it was, maybe even worse. The rest of Canada insists on treating Quebec as just another province. I've been permanently disappointed by their indifference (when it's not outright hostility).

In the last 20 years, I got sick of the Quebec bashing and the double standards regarding equalization payments (poorer provinces receive federal money in order to equalize their governmental services with those of the richer provinces), and the increased marginalization of Quebec within Canada. Canada is probably the only place in the world were speaking French is uncool. The country is officially bilingual (French/English), but in fact, 90% of the people who can speak both languages have French as their first language. French speaking minorities in the rest of Canada are treated like shit by provincial governments. For shits and giggles, I try to get service in French whenever I'm visiting the rest of Canada, and I'm almost always disappointed. And there are historical grievances too, like the fact that French speakers were second class citizens for the most part from the conquest by the English in 1759 up to about the 1960s. One quebecois writer from the 60s used to call "French Canadians" the white niggers of North America.

There's also an increased feeling of alienation from the rest of Canada: in recent years, the economic and political power of western Canada has been on the rise, and, without excessive generalization, I can say that their values are much more to the right than those of eastern Canada, Quebec included. I have the impression that the rest of Canada is becoming increasingly americanized, and more and more hostile to Quebec and its culture.

So I want out. I no longer believe that, in the long term, the survival of Quebec is a viable option if Quebec stays within the Canadian federation. I want my children, and my children's children, to keep Quebecois culture alive in North America, and I have come to believe that the surest way to do so is to leave Canada. I hope that, one day, a majority of Quebecois will share my wish. I hope it will happen while I'm still alive.

Is that clear?
    Tl;dr, right?
    Oh no, I read it. Thanks for the explanation.

It made me wonder how that could be accomplished geographically, which lead me to Google maps and the deeply shameful discovery that I've had Ontario and Quebec flipped in my brain for quite some time. Ya'll could totally just cut yourselves off.
    I just spent the last two months essentially learning to specialize in selling one very expensive (but terrific) product. A Tried and True company just canceled it and are forcing us to sell a different product I know nothing about instead. And, for fun, they back dated its demise, so if I close any of the proposals I have out for it, they won't even pay me on them.