Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And thank you for the sexy girl!

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 4,046
    That all sounds good. We're hopping a plane to Raleigh Durham to go visit the newest baba in the family.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,767
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 2,307
    He's a sweet little baba!
    edited January 18
    Not sure if anyone remembers but I have a phobia of airports... Too many things can go wrong. And today all of them did. We got to long term parking and Tilda had forgotten her purse. By the time we got back with it and made it to the airport we got in line at security and found that the things Delta had given us when we checked in were itineraries not boarding passes. Once we got those we had to do security again. Tilda hadn't emptied her water bottle and got held for special screening. We made it to the gate with seconds to spare... Except our plane wasn't there. We checked the board and the 11:10 to Raleigh was delayed and moved. We went there and it said it was now an hour late and there was nowhere to sit. We grabbed a bite and then checked status again... And the phone app said the flight had already left... We'd ended up at the gate for a United flight not a Delta one. And no other flights today. So our weekend trip is now an overnighter starting tomorrow. And we won't be seeing the lemurs exhibit at Duke.

This is basically all of the things I worry about with airports going wrong.

I've been having a panic attack for around five hours, with hyperventilating and vomiting.

I don't know if I can even bring myself to go to the airport again tomorrow. I might just skip the whole fucking thing.
    edited January 19
    Fuck it. I'm trying again. Got here absurdly early and am using Xanax and drinking wine and eating junk food to stay sane.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 2,307
    Sorry about your airport fiasco. That sounds like a freakin’ nightmare! Xanax and wine sounds like a nice lunch, though.

I’ve spent the weekend mostly feeling like an over-the-hill ‘never was has been.’ Wine and Xanax would be good for me, too, but I need to exercise at some point in the next hour or so. Sunday is a workout out day. I’d start feeling extra-low if I didn’t do it.

The next lesson on my guitar vid is St. James Infirmary. I may be stuck on this for a while. The level of difficulty seems to have jumped up a lot between this lesson and the last one.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 5,764
    edited January 20
    I hate modern airports too: a place were thousands of bored people circulate in an environment that essentially resembles a gigantic shopping center, a monument to our creaking civilization. I've had one bad airport experience, and this in spite of the fact that I rarely fly.

We went to Fredericton, New Brunswick, for a week. I had geology stuff to do there, Little S. was really little, wifey was on parental leave and I didn't want to be separated from them. So off we went. On our way back, the plane couldn't take off because of a mechanical problem, so we were stuck at the airport waiting lounge for most of the day. Late in the evening, they finally switched planes, and we could leave... Except we would have to fly at night with a baby in our arms and arrive in Montreal very early in the morning. So we had to beg and badger the company personnel to let us sleep in a Fredericton hotel so we could catch a plane next morning. Fun!
    The next lesson on my guitar vid is St. James Infirmary. I may be stuck on this for a while. The level of difficulty seems to have jumped up a lot between this lesson and the last one.
    Now I wanna learn that one. Thanks Moe. 8-|
    edited January 20
    Which of these 2020 Democrats
    agrees with you most?

I got Warren. But frankly, Warren or Sanders works for me. I actually prefer Sanders because I think he would do better against President Brainworms.
    More dumb shit that made me laugh:
    bd8086faa5c71e9af1dca916391230b6550c5bad2c46ba3a8282b478ff392d8d.gif
    270 x 480 - 2M
    edited January 21
    That sounds like it would be a maddening airport experience for anyone. So sorry it happens to be your least favorite flavor.

In the words of Harrison Ford, "why did it have to be snakes?".
    Does Tilda accept constructive criticism regarding preparedness?
    I am told it was my fault her purse was forgotten. We went to clear the ice off the car, setting everything down. Afterwards, she hopped in assuming I'd grab her purse when I grabbed the luggage. It's not a totally ridiculous argument. Though I still come down on Team Purses Are a Lady Responsibility.

I opted not to argue.

Most of the rest of it was at least half my fault. Though we did have a convo about how my ability to deal with airport stress starts low and declines rapidly as adversity mounts.

We made a deal that she can take over if she sticks with my preference for running super early.

So Sunday she took the lead and I got to just carry things and follow instructions. It worked better.
    We do that in Whole Foods, which is my phobia. I keep my head down, do as I'm told and she knows to get me out of there ASAP. Most of the time she just lets me stay in the car.
    Jonathan's baby is super adobrz and he and his wife are the happiest I've ever seen them, so that part was nice.
    edited January 21
    I understand about groceries. There's a great family-owned one near us that is so crowded I will knowingly overpay elsewhere to avoid going in. And my old standby grocery keeps messing with its layout and adding stupid, cart-path-blocking displays. It doesn't get me like the airport, but I can see it, for sure.
    One nice thing... on the way back, the plane was oversold, so they upgraded us to "Comfort Plus" which meant we got more legroom, earlier boarding, and free wine. So that part was cool.
    Love that.
    "I will do anything to ensure Trump loses the election. buuuuutttt.... Bernie is an unlikable sexist."

-Hillary
    My brother's wife is very smart and we had a few conversations about politics, but we kept coming up against a wall where people who are critical of Israel and/or sympathetic to Palestinians are inherently anti-Semitic. I don't like to argue against someone's lived experience, but I... don't see it that way.
    I am Team Jeff on this one.
    So on Saturday we got about 90 minutes up the road and pulled off the highway to get gas. We immediately lost control of the car and just started sliding backwards down a hill. Eventually we caught some traction and I got it under control, but Stacey immediately picked up the phone and cancelled with our visit with her dad and we turned around.

He's doing better. The epidural is starting to work and he'll be rehabbing for a couple of weeks. We'll get up there as soon as he's back home.

The silver lining is that we got to attend two dinner parties we though we had to pass on and THE FOOD WAS SO FUCKING GOOD.

(good people too)
    WHEW. Glad you're okay. Was it strictly weather/road conditions or was there a mechanical issue with the car?
    oh sorry.. it was snow/ice. And the predictions were worse the further we went north. That's why we bailed.
    edited January 21
    Also glad he's doing better.

We're gearig up for a car change, which is a lot of work.

Tilda's was a lease, which we're done with. Now that I work from home 3x a week and only drive to the train station the other to days, I put maybe 200 miles a month on a car. I'm thinking we'll give Tilda the nice AWD thing and pay cash for a modest little used car. Better use of money than paying what amounts to taxi rates for the mileage I drive.
    edited January 21
    My brother's wife is very smart and we had a few conversations about politics, but we kept coming up against a wall where people who are critical of Israel and/or sympathetic to Palestinians are inherently anti-Semitic. I don't like to argue against someone's lived experience, but I... don't see it that way.
    That sounds like an argument made in bad faith. Speculating here: is the guy a "Israel, right or wrong" type, you know, an Israeli nationalist? Or a fundamentalist christian? Or does he simply doesn't like a-rabs? Something like that could be the emotional core of his argument. But he won't say it, or admit it. So instead of addressing that head-on, he disguises it with bullshit arguments like "criticism of Israel is anti-semitism" and the like. The other typical move is what is called "whataboutery", that is, you criticize Israel, and then they answer "but in 1974 the PLO did something or other! And what about Hamas?"

That's when you know that arguing with the guy is a futile exercise in futility.
    edited January 21
    oh sorry.. it was snow/ice. And the predictions were worse the further we went north. That's why we bailed.
    Glad nothing bad happened. Do you guys install winter tires? Here, cars must have winter tires from December 15 to March 15. It's the law.
    edited January 21
    "I will do anything to ensure Trump loses the election. buuuuutttt.... Bernie is an unlikable sexist."

-Hillary
    Eh, it no longer matters. I'm pretty sure no one, except maybe big media pundits, gives a shit what she thinks.
    From your mouth to God's ear.