Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How middle aged am I?

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 5,746
Well, take your present age, multiply it by two, and if it gives you a number where you can think "yeah, that's a reasonable age to die", then you're very middle aged.

Comments

• moetownmoetown Posts: 2,302
    I’m older than middle-aged.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 4,032
    edited February 8
    That's the trick for knowing when you pass middle-aged right? If double your age, your birthday would make the news.
    Have I mentioned lately how much I hate doing lesson plans?
    My reasonable age starts 6 years ago. Remember, I don’t have kids.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 5,746
    TMW2020-02-12colorLARGE.png
    915 x 866 - 905K
    edited February 10
    Parasite won best director, best international film and best original screenplay... @-)

Mercy me, I do believe I have a case of the vapours!
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,755
    AND BEST MOTHER FUCKING PICTURE.
    I'm officially old enough for my death to not be a tragedy. A shame, but not a tragedy.
    Stared death in the face this weekend. We went to visit S____'s dad at a rehab/nursing home facility in Bethlehem, PA. He has been suffering Parkinson's for a decade but is now physically and mentally unwinding. He was routinely confused, couldn't feed himself, had to be moved from one chair to another.

It really deeply upset S____. Not only to see her father so helpless, but just being in that environment. Surrounded by the old an feeble. Nobody likes it, but it surprised me how shook she was.

I definitely need to die before I reach that stage. I don't want her suffering at my bedside.
    edited February 10
    That's another sign of advanced middle age: our parents become infirm and die off. One of Wifey's oncles died this week.
    edited February 10
    I'm really surprised Parasite got so much recognition, I mean, I didn't expect Tinseltown to be into self-flagellation.

Anyway, hurrah for schmiberal guilt!
    My dad died suddenly at 64. It sucked and it was tragic, but in a lot of ways, I think he was lucky not to have to go through getting too old. I'd rather go out like him than like my mom - immobile, incontinent, and suffering from Dementia.
    edited February 11
    Canada allows assisted suicide at the federal level. But, for the time being, euthanasia is only given to patients experiencing intolerable suffering whose death is considered inevitable and reasonably foreseeable. You also have to be conscient enough to consent. Therefore, you can't get legally whacked even if you know you're losing your marbles, and when you have finally lost all your marbles, you're no longer capable of giving consent. :-q

But there's a push towards widening the rules, and it should happen soon. So I'm hopeful that, if I get something degenerative like Parkinson's or Alzheimer's, I'll be able to specify that I want to have myself terminated before becoming a vegetable.
    Boy, this is a very middle aged thread we're having here, isn't it?
    What is reasonably foreseeable? Except for the most obvious cases, that seems like it could be a bit subjective.

While suicide is sad and horrible, it does drastically diminish one's carbon footprint.
    edited February 11
    As far as I know, for now they're applying it solely to the most obvious cases, as in people who will be dead of a horrible painful disease in less than a year. The law has been contested by people who wish to be euthanized, but don't fall within those "most obvious cases".
    The one plus side of my Dad dying in 2013 at only 63 is that I can just decide he would have been anti-Trump, when the reality is, I do not know.
    edited February 11
    Simon and I are rewatching Doctor Who. When the Doctor gave his traditional fake name of John Smith while his companion Martha Jones, kiddo started singing "Smith and Jones Forever."
    While suicide is sad and horrible, it does drastically diminish one's carbon footprint.
    Indubitably, but one should avoid cremation.
    When I die, I want my remains scattered at Wrigley Field.

Also, I do not want to be cremated.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 602
    I'd do liquid cremation.
    Chicago Cuboids!
    Twenty twenty twenty four hours to go
    I wanna be cremated
    Nothing to do, no where to go oh
    I wanna be cremated
    edited February 11
    Smith and Jones Forever? I was like, "is that a song by The Jam?" Nope, that's Smithers-Jones.

edited February 11
    FOX NEWS HOST DESCRIBES BERNIE SANDERS' CAMPAIGN SLOGAN AS 'STAY HOME, GET HIGH, I'LL PAY OFF YOUR LOAN'

Hot damn! I am now converted to the Bernie Brotherhood! Bernie Sanders forever!
    Every meme the right tires to make about Bernie just makes him sound sound awesome.