Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please give Fred my best.

1235»

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 4,046
    I'm properly freaked out. In case you couldn't tell. I know I'm being super cool about everything.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,767
    Our office administrator was chief of staff at the EPA under Obama before he came here. He also was a state-level pandemic planner before that.

So, I have a weird and rare amount of confidence that my job is going to do the right thing.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 5,764
    More dumb shit that made me laugh:
    c826384ad0e1e08951edb8e59f5e0f42cb4c91674588b1e31d2b5b7dc990504d.jpg
    471 x 474 - 31K
    Ok, they've pulled the trigger. Starting on Monday I will be working from home 4 days a week. I'll come in one day per week but they are paying for parking so I can avoid public transport.

edited March 12
    People dying in pandemics may just be a thing that happens now for the next few years.
    What do you mean "happens now for the next few years"? That depends how you define pandemic, doesn't it? I mean, if a pandemic is a disease prevalent over a whole country or the world, then ebola was a pandemic that killed over 11 000 people. There were several SRAS outbreaks all over the world from 2002 to 2004. H1N1 is still around: the swine flu variant of H1N1 is estimated to have killed something like 150 000 to 500 000 people all over the world so far.

I am not trying to dismiss other pandemics. But this is going to be a scale unlike recent ones. Not to the level of the 1918 Influenza but way past H1N1.
    Major League Baseball has suspended spring training and delayed the start of the season by at least two weeks.
    edited March 12
    I am not trying to dismiss other pandemics. But this is going to be a scale unlike recent ones. Not to the level of the 1918 Influenza but way past H1N1.
    We don't know that... Yet!

One thing is certain: the level of fear is up there with 9/11. That's the only event I can recall that's comparable.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 2,307
    I don’t know how bad things are going to get, but stressing out might affect your immune system.
    Part of me being an anxious dad who has an anxious kid is that my time to fret is now, before he gets home. Because after that I have to be all, Don't sweat it, kiddo! It's all good!
    edited March 12
    It's a bit like terrorism: I'm much more worried about how people are going to respond to this than I am worried about the disease itself.
    Seen on the internets: "Climate Change needs to hire Corona Virus' publicist."
    Ah jeez. I hadn't gotten that far. What is the Patriot Act of pandemics going to look like? They are probably going to want a lot of our precious fluids.
    Fed to Inject $1.5 Trillion in Bid to Prevent ‘Unusual Disruptions’ in Markets

Next time some dumbass asks you "How are we going to pay for public healthcare?" on the internets, just remind them of this.
    Man, seriously, fuck that.
    edited March 12
    Yep, that's right, the Shit-fer-brains administration literally just lit a trillion and a half dollars on fire for no fucking valid reason. Fiscal Responsibility, bitches!

Don't sweat it, kiddos! It's all good!

Ooh, will they have to make up those days in June?
    By April 5th, it could be worse.
    Ooh, will they have to make up those days in June?
    The Ontario education minister "did not say whether those plans might entail e-learning programming or if the school year might be extended".
    edited March 13
    Portuguese schools have been closed until April 9th. The Quebec government has decided to keep schools open for now.
    edited March 13
    And Montreal schools will be closed tomorrow! They didn't say for how long. When I told Little S., she briefly resembled the O RLY owl, and then she pretended it was all very worrying and sad.
    edited March 13
    By the way, Justin Trudeau's wife has the virus, it seems. Here's a puppy being massaged:

Ok, I've been issued my working-from-home laptop and now the genie is officially out of the bottle.