Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Roll your eyes at me, will ya?

Comments

• TrippTripp Posts: 608
    Tim Kaine. Big Replacements fan.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 5,772
    edited April 16
    Here, the main problem right now is seniors in long-term care institutions. The personnel, mostly underpaid immigrant women, have been working like mad since this whole thing started, many are either sick or totally burned out and they complain that their bosses don't give a shit. There are even a few nursing homes that are under investigation for gross negligence.

The government has had to ask hospital nurses and doctors, medical students and even next-of-kin to temporarily take over!
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 2,308
    R.I.P. Brian Dennehy.
    I remember Tim Kaine. I remember asking myself why she thought he was the best choice.

I don't really know beans about it, but I predict that Biden won't pick Warren as his V.P. It seems more likely that he would choose Klobuchar or Gretchen Whitmer.
    Whitmer is kinda this moment's 'It' woman among Democratic governors.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 4,048
    edited April 16
    I sort of expect him to pick Stacey Abrams which wouldn't be bad.

She's a major voice in African-American political circles who also managed to win big with working class and non-college educated whites. That's a needle almost no one ever manages to thread.
    I agree. Stacy Abrams wouldn’t be a bad pick.
    What about Michelle Obama?
    Are you guys seeing these Trump supporters staging protests to reopen the country? Anybody else thinking what I'm thinking?
    Some things make me laugh like the Joker.
    aa9c9f8a-df61-4f07-9be6-fc53080b5f08-coronavirus_stay_at_home_protests_01.JPG
    660 x 372 - 36K
    edited April 17
    Unfortunately, these idiots are gonna spread both the disease and their bullshit, a stupidity pandemic!
    edited April 17
    In 2018, S&P 500 companies spent a total of $806 billion from their tax cut reductions on buying their own stocks, to the immense benefit of the company executives who had stock options as part of their pay package.

No money was put aside for reserves, nor to make capital productivity improvements, nor to increase employee wage levels.

Now those companies are getting trillions in loans from the US government to get them through the coronavirus depression.

So it goes.
    Some great editing in that bit.
    Would you guys with school-aged children feel ok about sending them back to school next month?
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,767
    Nope.
    edited April 17
    Right now? Nope. Next month? Dunno. It depends.

If my provincial government is smart about this, it will look at what is going on in those countries that are further along in this mess than we are, and that are consequently starting to open up. They could learn how to proceed from them. Also, they could start by progressively opening schools in regions less affected than Montreal. And then go on from there, adjusting opening dates according to what they see. Of course, this will demand lots and lots of testing.

But if I get the impression that they're only listening to fucking economists and bosses, that they wanna open things in a hurry, I ain't gonna send my kid to no school anytime soon.
    edited April 17
    I look at the new Pacific states coalition, the new Northeastern one, and the new Midwest one and I think holy shit, the federal government is failing for these to even be considered.

Are we going to end up with separate countries? The odds are pretty damned low. But the odds have been zero since 1865, so low is a pretty fucking sharp uptick.
    edited April 17
    Pitchfork made a big thing about the new Fiona Apple record, giving it a 10/10.

I listened to it. I hate it when they are right. She's off in her own idiosyncratic, DGAF land. Like Flies on Sherbert kind of territory.

Would I give it a 10? No idea. But it's definitely good.
    I’ll check it out on my way to school. I’m being given 15 minutes today to get some things from my classroom.
    Gov. Abbott announced that schools will remain closed for the rest of the school year. No waking up at 5:15 for me until at least the end of August.
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 310
    edited April 17
    Always think of this when I think of Brian Dennehy (at 4:35)

I got a freelance job. T-shirts for Horseshoe Lake 4th of July party. They do it every year damn-it and nothing's gonna stop them. I don't know how much social distancing you can do on a pontoon party boat that fits about 8 people with everybody handing beer to one another. So just gotta be sure to get paid quick.
    I already wrote this on Twitter and Facebook but I think it goes without saying that we are seeing the formation of Covid-19 Truth Movement in real-time and Trump is going to use it to his advantage.

As shocking as the thought might seem as thousands perish around us each day, we will come out the other side with likely hundreds of thousands (or perhaps millions) of Americans believing it never happened.
    Dropped off groceries at my Mom's today. On our way, we drove past the old folks home in my hometown where 31 seniors (of 150 residents) over a few weeks in March. Feel like somewhat of a fool for assuming all these years that seniors residencies were run by specialized entities in conjunction with the healthcare system. I wasn't aware that some were owned by real estate companies who ran them like they would any apartment complex.
    Where 31 seniors were what, evicted?
    They died of Covid-19.