Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEFF!!

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 4,032
    He's always good. May have to check that out.

Palm Springs is pretty fun. It's a time loop romcom movie on Hulu with Andy Samberg.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 602
    We rewatched Art School Confidential last night. Still good but I still wish they would've made better casting decisions.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 5,746
    edited July 13
    I'm watching Sorry We Missed You the new Ken Loach movie about the gig economy and I'm ready to burn capitalism to the fucking ground, y'all.
    Yeah! It's funny that, politically speaking, the "family values" gang almost completely overlaps with the "deregulated capitalism" gang, eh?
    edited July 13
    Jeff, do you know the Dardenne brothers? If you like Ken Loach, you'll probably like them too.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 602
    I hear good things about The Vast of Night. Low-budget alien invasion movie set in the 50's. Sounds a little like Pontypool where it's mostly about style and not special effects.
    Here's a text that says, in a more articulate way, what I was saying the other day about the internets being bad for debate: Illiberalism Isn’t to Blame for the Death of Good-Faith Debate
    I've watched some of Vast of Night. The dialogue is Richard Linklater kind of random. I haven't gotten to the sci-fi elements yet.
    Not sure I really buy the argument in there. Progressives are part of the problem because they leap to conclusions about people based on small things... which are coded signals sent out in bad faith that show you someone believes something repugnant.

It's kind of both sidesing it here and not that convincingly.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 2,302
    I tried watching The Old Guard on Netflix and quit about halfway through it. I found it rather boring. I’m not sure if it’s the film or my headspace at this particular time. Not much seems very watchable lately.

I can’t get the temperature below 82 in my house. If I sit very still, it’s almost bearable.
    edited July 13
    Not sure I really buy the argument in there. Progressives are part of the problem because they leap to conclusions about people based on small things... which are coded signals sent out in bad faith that show you someone believes something repugnant.

It's kind of both sidesing it here and not that convincingly.
    I gotta tell you, back in the days when I bothered engaging in debates, I got shiposted by lefties and wingnuts. Sure, I caught a lot more shit from wingnuts, but I had trouble with lefties too.

I don't think it's a progressive vs. wingnut thing. I think it's an internet thing, period. I think social media isn't conductive to reasoned, nuanced debate about anything. Now, I don't think social media is the only cause of the problem, but I do believe social media is making it worse.
    edited July 13
    With the occasional exception of crappity, I don't debate on the internets no longer. The camel's back was broken when a bunch of cretins on the guitar page I frequented started implying that I must be a pedophile because I protested their assertion that anyone caught in a pic with Epstein must be a member of his pedo ring. As you can understand, I suddenly realized that life is too short. That put me off once and for all from ever trying to engage anyone I don't know in any debate about anything.

Anyway, because of my own experience, I may be giving too much importance to the effect of social media flame wars on discourse, I dunno.
    edited July 13
    You've probably heard the phrase "the medium is the message" before, right? The content of the medium is a message that can be easily grasped. But the character of the medium is another message which can be easily overlooked. What is the character of social media? React now, think later. Your opinion, no matter how stupid, is the equal of any other. If many believe so, it is so.
    Crappity and Goodreads are the only social media I use. I may start using a dating app at some point in the future, but I don’t think that’s a form of social media. Or is it?
    I can’t get the temperature below 82 in my house. If I sit very still, it’s almost bearable.
    Are you naked, Ev? If not, why not?
    More dumb shit that made me laugh:
    79850788_2602981009961868_6287572705319321600_n.jpg
    820 x 482 - 57K
    Starting my 6th week of weedlessness. I wonder if I could pass a drug test now. I’ve read a lot of articles on how long it takes for pot to be completely out of one’s system. There doesn’t seem to be a clear answer. I’ve read it takes about a month and I’ve also read it takes three months. I’m around it a lot since my mom smokes like Tommy Chong, so maybe it’s not out of my system yet.
    edited July 13
    If someone had told me in March I was gonna take a break from pot this summer, I’d have laughed and blown pot smoke in his/her/their face!
    Congrats, Ev! Have you noticed anything different in your behaviors or psychological state?
    I’m wearing boxers and a t-shirt. What are you wearing?
    Crappity and Goodreads are the only social media I use. I may start using a dating app at some point in the future, but I don’t think that’s a form of social media. Or is it?
    I'm down to only crappity. And I'm gonna keep it that way.
    Now I can’t get it under 84! I don’t know if I need a new a/c or new ducts.
    What are you reading, Dan?
    Glad you asked!

I'm reading The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914, by Christopher Clark. Halfway through it, I'm enjoying it so far.
    And what are you reading, Ev?
    I’m wearing boxers and a t-shirt. What are you wearing?
    An itsy-bitsy tiny speedo.
    edited July 13
    I’m reading a fast-paced crime thriller called She Rides Shotgun by Jordan Harper. It’s pretty gritty, gripping stuff. Zips along pretty fast.
    I don't know if it's because I'm not stoned, but I can't seem to make that link work. I'm sure you can find it if you're interested.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,755
    I've been pants-free for six weeks. No effect on my dreams, but it sure keeps the undercarriage cool.
    Can’t get that image outta my brain.

Yes, that book.