Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too many cake jokes today.

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
No matter how much I love cake…

I would never dessert you.

Comments

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    Why are cakes trending?
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,278
    No idea. I don’t know any cake jokes.

Looks like my Dallas friend is planning to sell his house and move in with me. He’s a bit of a handyman, so I’m thinking about giving him little projects to do around the house in lieu of paying rent. I don’t know when it’s supposed to happen. It’s one of the those things I won’t believe until it happens. Kinda like Biden defeating Trump.
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 421
    edited July 2020
    So this is weird. Back in the summer of 2010, after a long commute home from work, I got a phone call from my father. And he asked me if I knew someone named "Doug".

"No. Why?" I responded.

He said, "Okay, because someone named Doug Stanhope called and left a message for you to call him back."

My jaw dropped and all that. Had no idea what it could have been. It had to be a prank or something, right? Anyway, called the number back and it turned out that Stanhope was calling all the hardcore fans who bought tickets to both nights the last few times he had played small Montreal clubs. The phone number I had used to register for my Brown Paper Tickets account years ago was my parent's number, which explains why they called their house.

Anyway, I know I told this story back in the day, it's just that a few minutes ago I made a discovery when I tried to look up the year that took place.

Stanhope, much to my dismay, did not perform at all that night. He MCd a bit but spent most of the night just being a host. I remember him asking me if I was having fun like 20 times, which made me feel sort of self-conscious because I was the only sober person there. But other locals comics did go up and do short sets which were mostly not that great. This was not entirely their fault, as there was just a shitty little speaker on the floor and it was difficult to command the entire car wash.

Oh yeah, this was at a car wash across the street from the Hyatt at Place des Arts (which is where the Montreal Symphony Orchestra is stationed). Stanhope hates the politics and corporate screwery of JFL but often set up shows of his own in Montreal at the beginning of Just For Laughs so that he could still hang out with friends who were in town. So, this year he had rented a room at the Hyatt as JFL was setting up and then used Google Maps to locate a venue nearby that he could host a party at. It's a pretty barren area, but there was a small old school car wash across the street. They got the phone number and asked the owner if they could rent the place for a party and the owner agreed so long as they cleaned up afterward.

Because it was so close to the Hyatt, comedians and other industry folk were milling about all night. I got to talk to the Brits that directed the documentary The Bill Hicks Story and Paul Provenza and a few of the Trailer Park Boys, and that was fun, but I just discovered is that the rappers who performed later that night were also of note.

At first, I thought they were just local musicians, but I couldn't detect an accent and didn't think found it strange for locals to show up with such a large entourage (which stuck out amongst all the pasty white comics). They set up in the corner of the car wash and had a playback running through the same shitty little speaker, but sounded pretty good considering they were two feet from a shelf full of pink and blue detergents and some deep wash basins.

So, it turns out that the rapper that I watched perform in the car wash a decade ago was Childish Gambino. Apparently, he was scheduled to receive an up-and-coming talent award at JFL and had already done a 30 minute show on Comedy Central (as Donald Glover). It would only be a couple of years later that I heard his full-length comedy album or heard him discussed as a performer, but yeah, that was him. Bizarre.

First little clip is at the car wash party.

The car wash was torn down in 2014 or so. That's it on the left. The bigger structure on the right is the Hyatt.
    Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 11.27.47 AM.png
    1762 x 890 - 3M
    I feel like I know some cake jokes. But all I can think of right now is Paul F. Tompkins as Cake Boss.
    Good story, Matthew! I hope you're doing well.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,494
    Cakes are trending because of this video:

And now there is a recurring Twitter joke about believing everything is made of cake.
    ILTS
    I’m not on Twitter and I didn’t get the joke. Is it really a joke and if so, could you please explain?
    She Rides Shotgun is probably the most exciting movie I’ve read all year. Seriously.
    edited July 2020
    Ev, It's related to the video of everything being cake posted just above it.

In the second video, a Beatles record is actually the band Cake.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    If everything is cake, what is cake actually made of? More cake?
    Thank you, Jeff.
    I never listened to cake.
    Guillotines care a handy tool to help us find out if billionaires are made of cake.
    I’m not in favor of capital punishment, however, I feel like the guillotine is one of the more humane ways of killing someone. It’s gory, but that’s only a problem for the witnesses.
    Did Cake make good albums? I never gave them a chance because my bro-in-law liked them. He was still kinda fratty when I first met him.
    They aged well. I like them a bit.
    I guess I’ll give ‘em a chance. I like my bro-in-law now more than I did back then. And it’s a pretty sorry reason to never have given them a listen.
    I mean, they're an alternative pop band that turned out to be less disposable and chintzy than we rated them at first. I wouldn't want to oversell them.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    More dumb shit that made me laugh:
    81225180_2618308241762478_7462217905401233408_n.jpg
    480 x 430 - 32K
    2020 is some kind of endurance test y'all
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    Cake were excellent musicians but their singer's voice ruined everything as far as I'm concerned. Soulless, robotic delivery atop a kind of New Orleans jazz/ska band.
    I mailed in a check for my whole year’s homeowner insurance at the end of June. I checked my account today and it hadn’t gone through. Talked to someone at the insurance company and she said they hadn’t received it. So I had to pay it over the phone and then I had to pay $34 for a stop payment on the check. The postal service kinda sucks.
    I’m going to visit Dallas friend today. I’m thinking I may step off the wagon. I can climb back on the wagon tomorrow. I mean, it’s not like it’s alcohol or heroin, right?
    The person I voted for to run against John Asshat Cornyn lost.
    Or your Insurance company's A/R team.
    Yeah, I'm voting the company sucks, not the USPS.