Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think he coulda been a big star.

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 5,746
    The day I learned that I most likely had it, my girlfriend learned that the cousin of her Jewish grandfather in Florida had COVID-19 and was being moved into palliative care. She had just flown down to celebreate his 100th birthday a few weeks before the lockdown. He passed a few days ago.
    Wifey lost an aunt to Covid.
    edited August 6
    A key ingredient is that, without a strong economy and employment numbers to campaign on, Trump has been reduced to a campaign that is purely comprised of fear tactics. In a two-prong approach, he has a display of military strength for the cameras in Portland etc. while he runs ads telling them that they are literally going to die in Joe Biden's America. The message is simple: "Look how I am protecting you from the leftist and BLM marxist mobs in Portland. If I'm defeated, Joe Biden isn't going to just let them burn down America."
    For a lot of thinkers, the boundary between authoritarian behavior and totalitarianism is situated somewhere between the realms of reality and crackpotland.

Trump started as a right wing populist with crackpot tendencies but his increasing support for ever bigger conspiracy theories is making him move into full-blown nazi territory.
    edited August 7
    Every state I know of is, or was, a "failed state". And some states that have failed more than others, know what I mean?
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 2,302
    No.
    Yes.
    I have a Zoom meeting in about 30 minutes. This school year, the biggest challenge is going to be staying on top of things while at the same time understanding but not saying out loud that what we’re doing is bullshit.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 602
    edited August 7
    I'm hearing a lot of people echo what I've been thinking. Schools are going to reopen then shut back down in a few weeks because of virus-spread. Where crowds gather the virus spreads. It's that simple. Maybe younger folks won't come down with as severe a case as older folks but there's nothing to say that kids can't become spreaders which obviously they absolutely can.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 4,032
    To steal a phrase from Ev ...

2020: the biggest challenge is going to be staying on top of things while at the same time understanding but not saying out loud that what we’re doing is bullshit.
    Hey some good news! Remember that cool ass job I was up for in June? They want to schedule a two hour block of time with me for late next week.
    Awesome.
    I'm still working on that painting. Getting close to the finish line on it I think. I guess I'm going to try to sell prints of it so I've been trying to educate myself a bit on the best ways of going about doing that. Fingers crossed that I can turn it into a little money-maker because I have no idea what I'm going to do about a job. I don't think the flower shop wants me back as they could just hire some kid to do the same job and pay him less. But at the same time I don't really want to go back because I wasn't making ends meet working there.
    Should I try to get an agent?
    I realize you guys didn't get your stomach stapled and can do stuff like drink real beer and cocktails. So you may not give a shit. But if you or someone you like drinks those boozy seltzer things, the Smirnoff ones are substantially better than all other brands. More like drinking a vodka cocktail and less like drinking boozy LaCroix with extra Splenda.
    I like that painting but I don't know from agents. How many others do you have to show an agent right now? That probably matters.
    What are y'all doing this weekend?
    No plans. Friday nights had been Freaks and Geeks night but we re-watched all of that so now we're replacing it with Undeclared. Last night we started watching Green Acres from the beginning. One of my all-time fave comedies. S___ has never gotten into it before but I think she's into it now. Saturday nights we try to watch a classic movie. last week was Ball of Fire. Week before that was Sullivan's Travels. Not sure what tomorrow night will be. Maybe another Preston Sturgess flick. Last Sunday night the weather was pretty nice so Dan and Chad came over for a backyard hang. Helps us all to keep our sanity to see each other in person. This Sunday may be too hot.
    Sturges is so underrated.

Miracle at Morgan's Creek is as good as everyone says. But don't skip on Palm Beach Story. Also great.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,755
    Hey some good news! Remember that cool ass job I was up for in June? They want to schedule a two hour block of time with me for late next week.
    YAAAASSS!
    I don't think I've seen Ball of Fire, but it sounds right up our alley. Putting it in the queue.
    The dudes are coming tomorrow for three or four days. It'll be last free time with A___ for a while. We're moving him to PGH next weekend.
    Ooh, watch Hail the Conquering Hero. That's the best.
    Don’t know what I’m doing this weekend. I have to start figuring out how I’m going to teach online. I don’t have access to most of the stuff that grade school teachers have.

It seems like each year since I started teaching has gotten incrementally more difficult. Now it’s a lot more challenging than ever.

I hate seeing myself on Zoom chats. I have very pronounced circles around my eyes. My hair is completely gray. I look so much older than I feel. It makes me wanna dye my hair and start wearing makeup.
    Go for it.
    I’m going to be 58 in a little over a week. At what age does one go from middle-aged to being old? I think maybe it’s somewhere between 55 and 60.
    Hey, congrats on the interview, Jeff. I really hope you get that job.
    It's not an interview yet. And it turns out th two hour window was just for scheduling. It will be like thirty minutes. But if a company asks you for time while they are in a hiring push, that's good, right?
    It can't be bad.

I doubt I could go beyond thinking about dying my hair. It's too much work. Same with wearing makeup. It's probably best to just accept the physical changes I can't control that go along with aging.
    I bought some clippers and have been cutting my own hair. I can now perfect my comb-over in private.
    Ev, you ever listen to blues piano much? I'm no expert but I had a period of it in my 20's and still go back to it occasionally. Always gets me in a better mood.
    I'm not an expert in anything.