Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Married to Minecraft.

124»

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 5,764
    No dude, it's Monday!
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 2,305
    Dang. Believe it or not, I woke up thinking the same thing. Gee, I hope it’s not a symptom of some new virus going around.

I keep getting email requests to donate money to the Abolish the Electoral College cause.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,763
    One of our cats has learned how to scream "HEELLOO?!?!"

And boy hardee, is it unsettling.
    edited September 15
    You gotta film that and post it on youtube! It could go viral! You could become a millionaire!

Well, a hundredaire. Maybe.
    edited September 15
    Talking about dumb cats: Charlie has developed a habit of hunting my socks and then carrying them around as if he had caught a tasty fish. And then he just dumps them wherever he feels like. Socks keep disappearing. I eventually find the missing garments, usually in a weird place: behind the toilet, under a desk, in the staircase...
    102727450_3029138407133170_6668149207199370185_n.jpg
    666 x 379 - 52K
    I love kitties.
    I was reading about people being pissed off that all the episodes of Amazon’s The Boys isn’t being released all at once. Why don’t they just wait until the end of October to watch it? Problem solved.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,763
    Spoken like a guy that manages gratification delay pretty damned well.
    What’s this gratification of which you speak?
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 4,042
    edited September 16
    Had yet another call with the fancy job today. I guess the original HR person who screened me left so the new one had to meet me and sign off before I could go back into the pipeline.

Hoping for an offer by end of week.

It's been four and a half months since they contacted me. I'm ready to get this done. I feel like I have been an ongoing drain on our team's Johnny Paycheck energy.
    Goodness gracious! So you basically had to make a good first impression all over again.

I think I’ve been using the same disposable razor for at least 8 months.
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 310
    I've done somewhat of a 180 on lesser evil voting. In 2004, I upset a number of people by suggesting that they don't vote for Kerry, then in 2008, I really miffed people by arguing that the only way to bring the Democratic Party to heel was to force them to lose elections and refuse to vote for Barack Obama, who I characterized (I think somewhat diplomatically at the time, as he has since proven to be an absolute demon) as an 'empty suit'. But now I am much less hesitant to support people holding their noses and voting for Biden.

The reason isn't so much that I've been caught up in the "This election is TOO IMPORTANT!!!" hype that rolls around every single election without fail or abandoning my precious idealism, but because I have gone so far in one direction that I've come back out the other side.

I spend a lot of time online around determined leftists and Bernie Bros that have declared that they would never deign to vote for Biden and that Harris only confirmed their decision to abstain or spoil their ballot.

I sympathize with these feelings, but I don't understand how these people square this with their rejections of electoralism as a path to revolutionary change. I can't help but think that these people are greatly overvaluing their votes in a cooked election between two wings of the capitalist establishment.

So, rather than thinking I wouldn't be able to bring myself to pull the lever for Biden", I'm thinking that the vote is worthless to begin with, so why not at least use it to hurt that miserable piece of shit currently occupying the office? It's the least one could do. Even if Trump loses, this is far from over.
    Moe, I am sorry to hear that you are down in the dumps. I really wish I could do something to help.
    I am so fucking lost as to everyone's work and living situations now.
    Angela Davis expressed my feelings on lesser evil voting very well:
    I don’t see this election as being about choosing a candidate who will be able to lead us in the right direction. It will be about choosing a candidate who can be most effectively pressured into allowing more space for the evolving anti-racist movement.
    That works for most causes I care about, actually.
    edited September 17
    It's pretty straightforward: we can't get the candidate we want; but we can push for one we can put the screws to or we can accept one who can ignore us outright. Not that complicated a choice.
    Any Patrick O'Brian fans amongst youse guys?
    kqYfWmeFnMd8GAqUTNsO9S1-tFCD0Xr7REgi7lsbRfs.jpg
    500 x 350 - 29K
    edited September 17
    I am so fucking lost as to everyone's work and living situations now.
    It hasn't changed: adjunct lecturer at UQAM and, occasionally, U de M. It's a dead-end job, but I rather teach than do anything else, so fuck it.

Still living in the townhouse we bought near our old place (our old place was a housing co-op).

Wifey is a psychologist specialized in couples therapy and eating disorders. She has no lack of clients and makes way more money than I do.

Little S. started highschool this August.

We have three cats.
    edited September 17
    I think it's worth remembering that the best case scenario (President Biden in January), almost every elected Republican will probably be in open rebellion against any sensible public health measure. You know, the Tea Party, but for wiping out the libturds. And that's the best case scenario!
    Any Patrick O'Brian fans amongst youse guys?
    I remember enjoying Master and Commander a while back, but that's the only one of his I've read.
    There are, like, twenty of those novels, I think. I've read fifteen of them.
    edited September 17
    My pipedream is Biden in, Dems take Senate, then some from a list of: Voting Rights act, anti-gerrymandering act, bills formalizing standards for presidential campaigns/administrations that used to be on the honor system, abolish Electoral College, statehood for PR and DC. I'd love progress on healthcare, etc. but tightening the ship so that this shit can't happen again would be a goal I could maybe maybeactually see Biden doing some of. M4A, Green New Deal? He's probably not touching those.
    If the Dems take both the houses of Congress, they should definitely try to get rid of the EC.