Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entertaining but indefensible.

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
Crappity's new motto!

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    More dumb shit that made me laugh:

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    Watched a great octopus doc last night, and ran against this same feeling. It seems so incredibly obvious that they are smart as shit, but serious scientific inquiry only started recently.

Because... lack of spine? Too distant from us on the tree of life?
    It was called "Octopus: Making Contact" if it sounds up your alley.

Similar vibes to My Octopus Teacher, but I think I liked the humans better.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,494
    I ordered some barbecue from Central BBQ in Memphis to be shipped here. We're having friends over Saturday to eat it with us and watch Black Widow
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,278
    It seems so incredibly obvious that they are smart as shit

This is why I stopped ordering octopus at sushi restaurants.
    Good call. Definitely potential for a souls in there.
    Also why I stopped eating crow.
    edited July 2021
    NGL, I ate a lot of octopus in Croatia. Like a lot. It's everywhere and it's delicious.
    Way to read the room, Jeff.
    How was the BBQ?

Katz's pastrami is my long-distance splurge when I need a taste of home. It holds up surprisingly well.
    Summer of Soul is ridiculously good. The video suffers a bit (go figure after sitting untouched for 50 years) but whomever remixed the sound did an amazing job.

Too many high points to even narrow down.
    edited July 2021
    I cannot wait to watch that.

The barbecue was good but the outdoor movie got rained out. Will have to see Black Widow later.

Yesterday, we went to an outdoor zipping/climbing/outdoor adventure place called GoApe and that was pretty awesome. Surprised myself by not going ass over tea kettle.
    Weird they keep updating "death toll" for the tower collapse instead of "bodies recovered." Not like there might be people who've just been napping and playing cards in that rubble pile for three weeks.
    edited July 2021
    Werewolves Within is very fun and worth a rental. It's like a classic small town whodunnit, only they're looking for a werewolf. Stars Milana Vayntrub, the adorable/hot lady from the AT&T ads. More comedy than horror. Definitely funny.
    Y'all done took Monday off.
    I'm taking every day off until August 5th.

I haven’t been watching anything. I did just finish reading this crime book .
    Really wish I knew people in the drag scene so I could try and push someone into taking the stage name Delta Variant.
    That would definitely have legs in the Baltimore drag scene.
    I haven’t been watching anything. I did just finish reading this crime book .
    Sounds like an interesting read.

It's funny that the top review on that link is a person saying essentially 'This looks good, but I just can't voluntarily jump into even more racism than I'm already dealing with.'

I listened to Hole's Live Through This and it really holds up.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    I've been reading this one. If you enjoy reading history and are patient, it's worth it.
    I’ve been reading this one.
    I’m gonna put that in my ‘Want to Read’ list.
    I'm reading this one.
    Sounds tense.
    Hearing a report on separating Chicago from Illinois. The breakdown of what people get back for every tax dollar shakes out to Chicago residents getting back 88 cents of every dollar, suburbs getting back 58 cents, most of downstate getting 1.70 & 19 counties getting 2.88 back. If Chicago metro area became its own state, the remaining part of Illinois would be the poorest state in the US.
    The issue isn't carrying some of the load for folks on need. It's that downstaters like to pretend they're propping up Chicago's urban hellscape with their Midwestern grit.
    That is generally how America as a whole shakes out as well.

I can't help but think that this would be a MUCH bigger issue if the tables were turned.
    Their side: We have identified the tactics most likely to get us what we want, and because the end justifies the means, fuck it, we're all in.
    Our side: There are matters that are critically important to the survival of our republic, but we want to achieve them the right way and bipartisanism etc.

edited July 2021
    Of all the wild insanely fun predictions that the 70s produced (anyone else an Omni magazine fan as a kid?), we had to live on the timeline where this one was right.

:(