Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Much karaoke was karaoke'd.

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
New thread!

By the way, I may have inadvertently erased one of Jeff's posts (the one where he talks about his guitars troubles).

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,494
    I was saying that I changed the strings but the buzzing continues.

The question now is (building from what Eric said) if I run a thin bead of Gorilla Glue would that stop the buzzing or would doing that also deaden the sound?
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    edited July 2021
    Thanks, Jeff!

Here's what I wrote on the subject:
    No idea. I have no experience of those kinds of repairs. But if you're sure you don't want to get the guitar repaired, you could try it, I mean, nothing to lose, right?

Keep in mind that, if you glue the bridge with an improper kind of glue, there's a solid chance that new repairs will become impossible. But that's an issue to consider only with valuable guitars.
    And then I posted this:

This applies to any acoustic:

There are other vids on the subject on youtube. I suggest you spend a bit of time on that. I would love to be able to help more, this is the kind of shit I love doing.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,278
    R.I.P. Dusty Hill
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    I just saw that. Thanks for the good times.
    R.I.P. Dusty Hill
    ZZ Top's bass player, right?
    I googled it. Yep.
    I might go buy my kid this today:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Yamaha/F335-Acoustic-Guitar-117187468.gc

We have this system for sort of attaboy points at work and I have enough for a $50 gift certificate to Guitar Center and that makes this a pretty negligible cost.

I have an old dishwasher that’s broken and hasn’t been used for years. Last night I noticed water seeping out next to the bottom corner of where the dishwasher is installed. I called a plumber and he said I need to call an appliance guy. But if I haven’t been using the dishwasher, how could that be the problem?
    The connection to the dishwasher is probably shot.

If you find where the other end of that connection is, you could theoretically just turn it off from there and then worry about the dishwasher later or never.
    edited July 2021
    It's probably a 3/8" braided metal hose going from under your sink or thereabouts to the dishwasher. Find it, turn it off and you can ignore the dishwasher.

The only other way an unused dishwasher could have a leak would be a hose releasing the drain water into the sink drain. That one would be trickier to cap off but still not a huge deal.

I mean, if you're not using the dishwasher, it can only leak because one of those two places. Even if the leak was something other than the incoming water or the outgoing drain, cutting off the incoming water and drain would end it. No water can get in, the leak stops.
    Everything is tricky for me.
    edited July 2021
    Steps three and/or four from this tutorial should get you sorted:

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-remove-a-dishwasher-2718671

The only difference would be that since you're not continuing to the point of removing/replacing the machine, you have to either remove that splitter than connects the dishwasher drain to the sink or cap it off somehow. Or replace it with a connection without the fork to the dishwasher.

If I lived there, I could do it in like 30 minutes. And I work for cheap wine. Since I'm not, feel free to snap pics and I can try and answer any questions that come up.

The bottom line is: there is no reason to pay anyone for this.
    I think your first suggestion was the right call. Thanks, man!
    edited July 2021
    I might go buy my kid this today:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Yamaha/F335-Acoustic-Guitar-117187468.gc

We have this system for sort of attaboy points at work and I have enough for a $50 gift certificate to Guitar Center and that makes this a pretty negligible cost.

Cool! Yamahas are usually decent entry level instruments. Will Simon take lessons?
    ZZ Top will keep touring with its guitar tech, Elwood Francis, playing bass.

Crazy.
    Yeah. He wants to take lessons from the same guy who was teaching him mandolin.
    I've had two student Yamahas in my life and I enjoyed them both plenty.

They'll put some hair on his blisters at first, but the sound pops
    He's been playing a $50 Rogue mandolin for about four years. I think he can hang.
    Shit. Neighbors called from Romania. Mother-in-law fell down some stairs. Head contusion, concussion, rushed in ambulance to ER. Trying to get a hold of some cousins who can go to her.
    Gah.... dialing up some PMAs over here.
    edited July 2021
    Shit man, that sucks! I hope it's nothing serious. Get well, Jeff's mother-in-law!
    Looks like she broke her shoulder. Trying to figure out of Tilda can go and help, but the timeline looks long.
    edited July 2021
    We didn't get that guitar. First, because it buzzed slightly and now that Dan taught me what to look for, we saw the bridge already had a gap under it.

Second, because the dreadnoughts felt uncomfortably large to kiddo. He tried a 3/4 size guitar but that felt too small. Then he picked up a parlor sized guitar from Ibanez and that felt right. It's an acoustic/electric and all mahogany/rosewood, so I felt good about its build.

Hopefully, Tilda doesn't kill me for spending an extra $110.
    Simon just came out onto the porch and played us Back in Black, so I'm feeling pretty fucking good about my parenting.

How is your weekend?
    Meh.
    I really really hope its about to get better. Last minute work madness spilled into my last night and into my morning and I'm still waiting for the powers that be to give me what I need to put this fucking thing to bed so I can enjoy my vacation.

but yeah.... other than that... Vacation time!
    Hooray for vacay!

Turn off Outlook. And Teams. And Zoom. And GotoMeeting. And WebEx. And Slack.
    Doing one better. I'm leaving my laptop at home.

I never let them infect my personal phone.