Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Much karaoke was karaoke'd.

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,494
    His new guitar is an acoustic/electric.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    edited August 2021
    To summarize: one can't really sound like Angus Young on an acoustic.
    Do you know what Simon wants to play?
    I mean, whatever. He doesn't need fully convincing electric sounds. And he may yet get an electric too.
    edited August 2021
    There's the Yamaha THR5, the little brother of the THR10. They're about US$200 new. They're quite common, you can probably find a used one for $150 or less. It comes with an acoustic setting, and several electric guitar amp simulations.
    edited August 2021
    One of the cool features of these little amps is that you can hook them up to the headphone output of, say, a laptop or an iPad, and then play any music through them while you practice. I use this all the time to play along to tracks. And they have a headphone out, which is great for silent practice.
    There are other companies that build similar practice amps (the Roland Cube, for instance), but I have no experience with them.
    Happy Friday, fellow nerds.
    I am trying to read Terry Pratchett for the first time. On every single page he introduces three to five characters, two historical events, and three locations
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,278
    Never tried to read him. Which one is it?
    It's the first Discworld book,The Colour of Magic. I'm near the end now and it got better and displayed some real wit. I can see why people dig him.

People say not to start with that one because it's a lesser book and he hadn't found his voice yet, but I am a compulsive "start at the beginning" guy.
    The new Suicide Squad movie lived up to the hype. It’s no cinematic achievement, but it’s kinda funny, action-packed, and totally ridiculous.
    It's totally fun.
    That's terrible.
    This is pretty bad too:

edited August 2021
    I've read a bunch of DiscWorld books, but in a completely disorderly way. Have you met Cohen the Barbarian, Jeff? And the Librarian? I don't remember if they were in Colour of Magic.
    My youngest brother is such a piece of shit.

He took a new restaurant job, worked there a month claimed an injury and has been off for three weeks. He really believes they're holding that job for him.

He and his wife and kid live with my mom rent free.

Last week my mom passed out from heat exhaustion after mowing. Loser bro and his wife don't do shit.
    edited August 2021
    I'm in the second book now, The Light Fantastic and it has the Librarian. It's already got a better voice/vibe than the first one. I can see him improving as he goes. If I like him this much already and people say these are his weakest I feel pretty excited to see what's coming.

Although, I am a little chagrined in that reading Terry Pratchett is kinda the middle aged white nerd version of being a basic bitch.
    I like it!
    You like what?
    edited August 2021
    Ev likes that you're a middle aged white nerd version of being a basic bitch, Jeff. Duh!
    edited August 2021
    Jeff, my snobbier younger self would relentlessly mock you.

But my present older incarnation just says "you ain't hurting anyone so enjoy yourself" while repeatedly punching younger self in the mouth.
    I really just want to read light things that don't make me want to burn the planet down at the moment.
    edited August 2021
    But the planet is already burning down!

edited August 2021
    My two favorite fantasy novels (keep in mind that I haven't read a lot of fantasy):

Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea cycle. She's also, in my opinion, one of the greats of science-fiction and one of my favorite writers in any genre.

And Gustave Fluabert's Salammbô, which is, strictly speaking, a historical novel, but magic, religion and all kinds of superstitions are described as if they were very real to the characters of the novel. If Flaubert had written Salammbô in the 20th century, we would have called it fantasy.
    I like the Vank Walen mashup.

For some reason, I didn't see all the other posts after that when I posted that I liked it.

I'm so glad I don't have a brother.

The least your shitty younger brother could do is mow the damned yard. How old is your mom? What kind of son would sit there and let his mom cut the grass?
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    Back from vacation and ready to do jack shit for a couple of days before the corporate dicksucking resumes!