Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ridley Scott’s best film since Tattoo You

Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,567
Happy Monday, and happy short week to Americans whose employers allow it.

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,125
    Good morning, leftist vermin!
    edited January 29
    Richest 1% account for more carbon emissions than poorest 66%, report says

Whenever I read comments below an article on environmental degradation, inevitably there will be some moron saying things like "there's too many humans", as if that was the main problem and there was nothing we could really do about it.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,567
    They want you fretting over your plastic straws and occasional flights for travel, so that you won't think about their factory emissions and private jets.
    edited November 2023
    T____ has a mild allergy to poultry, so turkey is a no go for her for Thanksgiving. I'm real, real sick of ham, so I wanted to make something different.

Last year in Munich, we got to try Bavarian brauhaus style pork knuckle and that was awesome. Plus, it has gravy, so it makes sense as a compliment to turkey.

But I can make maybe two of those at the same time and it's awkward to share. So I thought, maybe a pork belly?

I combined a few recipes and made a first attempt last night. I took a 1.5 kg piece, pierced the fat layer with a million tiny holes, rubbed with salt, caraway seeds, and fennel seeds, cut slits in the back and stuffed in slivers of garlic. Then in the roasting pan, I chopped up a white onion, two carrots, and put in two halves of a garlic bulb, six bay leaves, some juniper berries, peppercorns, kosher salt, stock, and dark beer. Then I roasted it.

It came out delicious, but next time I think I'm gonna sear it and diamond cut the fat cap so the top gets crispier. Maybe cook at a somewhat higher temp, too.

Almost there.
    That was a lot of unnecessary detail about cooking, I guess.
    edited November 2023
    It's ok, Jeff. I love cooking. I cook nearly everyday, but I rarely cook large pieces of meat. If it takes more than an hour to prepare, I'm usually not interested.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,351
    I love that you "rehearse" for your Thanksgiving meal.
    I wouldn't normally, but since this was a new dish/recipe, it would have been a sucker move to try it for the first time with guests coming over.
    Respect
    edited November 2023
    I messed up my arm about three months ago and then wrenched my lower back a couple of weeks ago. I've had a horrible case of plantar fasciitis for over a year. The result being that I haven't been able to exercise. I really miss it. Freakin' sucks, man. I kept trying to do it before my arm got better which just made it worse. I've just gotta be patient.
    You can get plantar fasciitis in the arm?

I've got it in my left foot and unless I wear slippers or shoes all day long, it pretty quickly feels likes I have shards of broken glass in my heel.

Getting older is awesome.
    A buddy and I saw Kyle Kinane tonight. He was great. As a bonus, his special guest was Bobcat Goldthwait and *his* special guest was Cadet Sweetchuck (Tim Mazurinsky).
    PXL_20231121_032101892.jpg
    2268 x 4032 - 849K
    Do the kids today even know what the Police Academy series is?

Eh, fuck 'em.
    30 more days until Xmas vacation.
    What did the Romanian say when he saw a giraffe for the very first time?

"There's no such thing."
    Makes sense.
    Warped Front Pages

Researchers examine the self-serving fiction of ‘objective’ political news
    We found that the Times and the Post shared significant overlap in their domestic politics coverage, offering little insight into policy. Both emphasized the horse race and campaign palace intrigue, stories that functioned more to entertain readers than to educate them on essential differences between political parties. The main point of contrast we found between the two papers was that, while the Post delved more into topics Democrats generally want to discuss—affirmative action, police reform, LGBTQ rights—the Times tended to focus on subjects important to Republicans—China, immigration, and crime.
    Sounds about right. I kinda remember a time when “the news” wasn’t such a loaded term.
    That was kind of a ‘boomer’ thing to say.
    edited November 2023
    I hate the news a lot right now. Just nonstop bummer. And not just in a bad news way, in a things-never-get-better-only-worse way.

Talking about self-serving fictions...

Did you know that the number of unauthorized immigrants in the U.S.
    remained mostly stable from 2017 to 2021?

That's right, it didn't change during the Shit-fer-brains administration. I guess that wall they were building wasn't high enough or something.
    Don’t know how you guys feel about The Boys on amazon prime, but if you like it, you should check out Gen V.
    edited November 2023
    La Peste Brune on the move in the Netherlands...

Far-right party set to win most seats in Dutch elections, exit polls show
    Have you defrosted the turkey? Don't forget to start defrosting the turkey.
    To protest the new Dutch government, I will stop wearing wooden shoes.
    I wish the pro-Israeli and pro-Palestinian protesters would all start having group sex to show the world that anything is possible and that love and lust can conquer all.

Yes, I admit to eating one of my mom's pills for my Thanksgiving feast.
    edited November 2023
    To protest the new Dutch government, I will stop wearing wooden shoes.
    As far as I know, they are very far from being able to form a government. They only have 37 seats out of a total of 150 , they need to form a coalition with other parties to get a majority.

I posted that just to show that this shit is happening all over the Western world, not just the US. Why, there's a pretty good chance that Canada's next Prime Minister will be pretty far to the right too!

Or, more precisely, English Canada will vote for the vile motherfucker, and Quebec will have to put up with his shit.
    The pork belly came out otherworldly good. Better crackling this time. Although now that I'm salting the top more, I need to cut the amount of sauce in the basting liquid so the gravy isn't too salty.
    7f583efa3938d60e.jpeg
    1440 x 1440 - 364K