Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please Notice Me I Am Not Dead Yet

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,497
    edited August 2016
    I finished that full-cast audiobook of American Gods. It was pretty great. I'm excited about the tv show,as you may have guessed by how much I mention it. I've read they may be making two seasons out of this book, and Gaiman reportedly has a second one nearly done, with additional seasons to come from that. And there was a spinoff short novel they're drawing on, too.

Maybe the best thing I read was Starz saying that, after the success of Outlander, they wanted to just find more great material, then get top-shelf talent to produce it, and then stay the fuck out of the way, since that worked so well last time.

Bryan Fuller (Hannibal, Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me, the only good sections of Heroes) is making it. As long as he doesn't get too busy with the new Star Trek show and bail and leave it to minions, it could be good.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    Aw fuck. Its on Starz? I was starting to get hype for it.
    SKC
    A house came up for sale this morning that may be the winner. It's in the right budget range than we can offer close to their asking. And going in this early, in this area, they may accept a contingent offer. So here's hoping.
    Awesome. Well if/when it crosses over the tangibility threshold, please share linx. I am a person that enjoys looking at houses for sale.
    Will do. One popped up this morning that combines a ton of space with the kitchen Tilda wants and a big ass yard. It's in our price range, too. The bathrooms need a little love and it's carpet, which isn't our preference, but those seem like compromises we can make for now.
    edited August 2016
    The hardest part of being married to someone from a country with socialized medicine is that she is pretty quick to decide ambulance/ER is the best answer to any medical issue. I've gone back and forth over the years on this, from taking her to the ER and biting my lip while we got a $3K bill for treatment of exhaustion to being broke as hell and asking her if she could wait out this heart seizure or if there was no other way. I've been an angel and I've probably been awful.

So today, she tells me her blood pressure is high and she doesn't feel right and our primary care physician cannot see her. So should she take an ambulance to the hospital?

And I want to be that awesome money is no object compared to your health guy. But I also know from experience she kind of overreacts and I don't want her to wake up tomorrow with a bill for several thousand dollars for a false alarm and then have to tell her she can't buy a house. But I also don't want her to fucking die.

I despise these kinds of choices. Our health care system sucks.

I told her to go to the urgent care center. We're covered 70% and if it's serious, they'll put her right into an ambulance. And if not, we aren't broke.

Criminy, I hope I made the right call. So far, pretty much every time the right call would have been No ER; just calm down and see a doctor in the morning or maybe an urgent care place. But I only have to push back one time and get it wrong for something horrible to happen.
    edited August 2016
    I sort of grew up using this system:

-Is it going to go away on its own? No? Go to the doctor at your next chance.
    -Is it bugging you real bad? Call the doctor and see if they can squeeze you in quickly.
    -Does it feel awful and require help right now, but you're not dying or anything? Urgent Care.
    -Holy shit, someone needs to fix this right away: emergency room.
    -I can't move and/or might be in real peril: ambulance.

By comparison, in Romania, it's pretty much:
    -Is something bothering you? Doctor.
    -Could it be serious or do you want an answer right away? Ambulance.
    Now she's refusing to go anywhere and says she is fine.

I would like to tell you there's no chance this stubborn Hungarian is hoping something terrible will happen just to teach me a lesson.

I would like to.
    Well if my Facebook feed is correct (it isn't) Aetna pulling out of Obamacare is going to pave the way for single-payor.
    I had to go through the same thing when S______ was having seizures. It is scary as fuck to see the person you love disappear from their own eyes. It took serious fortitude (and her explicitly telling me not to) to not immediately dial 911.
    She's going to see a doctor today, but seems fine. I think the people in her office created a situation out of nothing.

We saw that one house last night. It was nice, but I still think our focus is selling for now.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,278
    "Men and Makeup, Yes Please"
    I was starting to build up some savings, so my air conditioner decided to quit working.
    Isn't it the way?
    When I try to access crappity from my laptop I get an Account Suspended message. Works fine on my phone.
    I'm in the midst of having a minor emergency. I'm in the middle of reading Neuromancer and I can't find my kindle!
    I found my kindle, so you guys can stop worrying about that now.
    Thank god.
    I just picked up one of PKD's non-sci-fi novels about California in the 50s. I've never read any of them. Looking forward to it.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    I've been reading this one. It's about the two guys (Pierre Méchain and Jean-Baptiste Delambre) who measured, as best as they could, the distance of the meridian arc between Dunkirk and Barcelona, while the french revolution and the related wars were raging. This distance was the to be used to estimate the value of the meter.

It's fun, highly recommended if you're into history and science.
    "www.theguardian.com’s server DNS address could not be found"

What's the title?
    edited August 2016
    What's the title?
    The Measure of All Things: The Seven-Year Odyssey that Transformed the World, by Ken Adler
    Sounds up my alley. Thanks.
    R.I.P. Toots Thielemans. And R.I.P. Dr. Donald Henderson.