Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is this real life?

Comments

• matthewmatthew Posts: 222
    You definitely look better. You look like you put on weight in the same way I do. It can really creep up when you're not looking.
    I thought there were some good points here.

I hate Ben Shapiro with the passion of billions burning suns.

It's not even so much that I hate him, but hate that his form of bullshit is successful with young dudes (i.e. young, mostly white, douchebags).

"I talk at great speed, sharply, to the point, unemotionally, therefore you can accept with confidence that I know what I am talking about, even if I don't."
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 3,569
    edited December 2017
    So, basically, this Shapiro guy, he's kinda like an american Ezra Levant, right?
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 1,346
    So, yeah, I just finished my lesson plans for the first week back after break. [karate chop hand]
    Can I give a fist bump? Hit the rock, explode the rock?
    edited December 2017
    I haven't even started preparing my next class! I still have to grade a bunch of finals before that.
    CDC gets list of forbidden words: Fetus, transgender, diversity
    The Trump administration is prohibiting officials at the nation’s top public health agency from using a list of seven words or phrases — including “fetus” and “transgender” — in official documents being prepared for next year’s budget.

Policy analysts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta were told of the list of forbidden terms at a meeting Thursday with senior CDC officials who oversee the budget, according to an analyst who took part in the 90-minute briefing. The forbidden terms are “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.”

In some instances, the analysts were given alternative phrases. Instead of “science-based” or “evidence-based,” the suggested phrase is “CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes,” the person said. In other cases, no replacement words were immediately offered.
    See, if you don't talk about it, it will go away. It is known.
    And here is Ajit Pai parodying the idea that he would be working to help his former employer, Verizon (as if anyone is suggesting that he was specifically sent by Verizon to do this).

Hahaha, what a CRAZY conspiracy theory!!! [Dances with Pizzagate troll in Net Neutrality video]

Speaking of the people he danced with in that video, what the hell is with right-wing America's obsession with 15 year old blonde girls delivering their partisan news? The blonde girl in the Net Neutrality video is another Daily Caller 'personality'. I looked up her name and stumbled upon her Linkdin. Only 13 months ago she was working as a cashier for Chik-Fil-A. Now here she is dancing with the unelected chairman of the FCC mocking 80%+ of Americans who supported Net Neutrality. What a presidency it has been! What a leader.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 1,346
    Really gives one a lot of hope for the next 3 years.

What the hell is with right-wing America's obsession with 15 year old blonde girls delivering their partisan news?
    You should ask Roy Moore.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 317
    Regarding Tarantino doing a Trek movie. He recently said in an interview that he thought a good idea for a movie would be to essentially remake Yesterday's Enterprise ( one of the best episodes of trek ever). If he's really down with that then he could be making the exact movie I've been saying they should make. The premise is that Kirk and crew realize they have to go back in time and save Kirk's dad thus preventing the entire Kelvin timeline, erasing their own existence, and setting the Abramsverse back to the Prime timeline. And since it was rumored last year that Chris Hemsworth would be back to play George Kirk it seems like it's a good bet that it's happening. I hope so anyway.
    Star Trek Beyond was a great improvement I thought, mainly because someone who loves Trek directed it so they got all the relationships right.
    Why does it need to be R rated? I don't know. I guess for violence. Either that or excessive use of the N word.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 1,584
    Either that or excessive use of the N word.

knnchhjchchhchcchcmpssss..
    The fam and I enthusiastically enjoyed the heck out of The Last Jedi.

I have to assume all the online haters are just Russian bots attempting to tear our nation apart.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 2,648
    edited December 2017
    I liked it, but I don't feel like a full-on convert/true believer these days.

Of course, I had to see it at a work party. So maybe that had a dampening effect.

Or maybe I'm old.
    I've had this song, of all things, stuck in my head today:

You saw The Last Jedi at a work party?
    edited December 2017
    Yeah. They had a private screening as our work party. 2 hour drive to Madison, Wisconsin (the town where the other office is, the one the boss works out of), 90 minutes of crappy bar food with two drink tickets each, then the movie.

Basically, the boss wanted to buy himself a private screening and he spent our holiday party budget on it. It's a little nicer than if he'd used our party money to buy an expensive painting and invited us over to his house to look at it, but only just.
    ha ha. Ok, that sounds like a less than ideal context.
  • KimKim Posts: 514
    I kinda like that song that is stuck in your head. Are the words or the video stuck? Ha
    I dug The Last Jedi a lot. There were several things I was hoping to see that I didn't (could've used a lot more R2 for one) but it was well-written and had STYLE. And I'm still mulling it over. I feel like the over-arching message in the movie is 'Girls are smarter than boys' and I think that's great.
    The thing I loved most about it is that it took all of Abrams' Mystery Box crap and chucked it in a trash compactor. I've been saying it for two years.. I DON'T CARE WHO SNOKE IS OR WHO REY's PARENTS ARE!!! And Johnson basically just said 'yeah, fuck this shit.'
    He did JJ a huge favor. Now he doesn't have to try to struggle for satisfying conclusions in IX (which is not his strong suit).
    I feel like the over-arching message in the movie is 'Girls are smarter than boys' and I think that's great.
    Yes, I loved how the two competing plans were resolved. That was a big break from a typical Star Wars storyline.

(not sure if that made sense.. trying not to be spoilery)
    The new Car Seat Headrest single "Beach Life in Death" is kinda great. It's 13 minutes long (and I guess is a remake of his own song from six years ago) but it's fun all the way through. I wish it was on YouTube so I could post it. But if you have Spotify, it's here.
    thanks for the heads up. I count myself a fan.
    Jeff, you mean this song?
    Nope. That's the original version from 2011. The new one is... well, like a lot of CSH stuff, it's a remake of his own song. Parts are the same. A bunch of it isn't.
    Sooooo... what's everybody doing for the holiday?

(I figured I'd ask early so we'd have time to catch people before days off start.)