Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Happy New Year, crappiteers!

JustSomeGirlJustSomeGirl Posts: 72
Please let 2018 be better than 2017.

I know so many people who are saying 2017 was one of their best (professional growth, a happy personal event, etc.), but I am so perpetually distressed by Trump that it's hard to see any good things in life. It is really depressing.

OH well, hope everyone's better than all that.

Love to you all. xo

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 2,652
    To paraphrase Laurie Anderson, let's hope that 2018 is exactly like 2017, only much, much, much better.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 3,570
    Hey, Orrin Hatch's is retiring! I am sure you will all gonna miss him.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 317
    I almost ended the year with a cash surplus but had to blow $900 on my car. At least I had the cash though, right? Ugh. I'll never get ahead.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 1,346
    Sounds like you can get a little ahead, but can’t stay ahead. I have that problem as well. My car is making all kinds of noises I hope I can ignore till the end of January.

I hope I don’t outlive chocolate. I’ve seen a few articles suggesting that cultivation of cacao trees will be greatly reduced by 2050 due to climate change. Jesus, I can’t imagine how miserable life would be sans chocolate.
    We're probably going to outlive bananas. As we know them, anyway.

The bananas sold in the US are virtually all the Cavendish variety, which is increasingly susceptible to Panama disease. Panama disease made the previous mass market banana, the Gros Michel, unfeasible for large scale production by the 1950s. Supposedly, it tasted much better, too. Sooner or later, the same will happen to the Cavendish and bananas as we know them will disappear from shelves.
    Bananas will cost $10 per lb and chocolate will be like dom perignon.
    edited January 3
    And only the rich will afford to eat them. It has happened before: caviar wasn't very expensive 100 years ago. Cod, lobster, oysters and sushi were eaten by the poor, overexploited and then, after they became too expensive, became staples of the rich.
  • KimKim Posts: 514
    Happy Belated Eric!

Matthew says the fruit is like candy in Hawaii. He’s a health nut and loves just eating fresh fruit and fish there
    Lobster creeps me out. Looks like a big ol’ insect.
    This is the part of the winter break where I start stressing on having to rejoin the work-a-day world on Monday. I love not getting up before 8:30, eating breakfast, working out before lunch, kicking back and reading, napping, practicing guitar, watching Netflix, reading and napping some more, and chowing down on shrimp all day. I can certainly adapt to idleness.
    I probably write something very similar at the end of every break.
    I'm one of those dingbats who buy a lottery ticket when the prize gets this high. I always feel stupid for buying them, but I keep doing it. $5 isn't a lot, but then if no one wins this time, I have to buy $5 more for the next one. So really, even if someone else wins the next drawing, in a way I win $5...right?
    I never buy more than one ticket. I figure it as I'm not wasting money on a stupidly low chance of winning. I'm purchasing the right to think about how I'd spend the winnings, which is super enjoyable and worth way more than $2.
    edited January 3
    Duh! Of course he didn't! It was just another grift. I wonder, who's the source for all that stuff? Bannon? Or some other creep?
    From NYE:

Younger Brother: This is really good for storing leftover wine.
    Matilda: What the fuck is "leftover wine"?
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 1,588
    Thanks Kimbo!

We had a very nice 5 day break. Just getting back today, just in time for a snowy assed commute.
    How does someone become a YouTube star? Could an oldster like me shoot for something like that? I only find out about these people when they do something offensive. Being a YouTube sensation sounds a lot better than teaching ESL.
    They eliminated my supervisory role at work and will be rolling back the raise they gave me. THANKS, DICKS. I'm just a sales person now.
    It's mostly a young man's game, but there are a few exceptions. my dudes love a middleaged guy name VSAUCE. He does shorts about crazy aspects of math (visualizing extremely large numbers, understanding probability, etc). He's got a ton of followers.

But yeah, if you're young and likeable, you can just point a camera at yourself and talk about nothing and become a star.

I would subscribe to your channel, so that's 1 at least.
    That's super sucky, Jeff. Did they give any reason, or did it just sorta happen?

I've already got 1 subscriber and I haven't even started doing anything yet. Maybe I could just interview young and likable people. Or feature young and likable people doing interesting things. It would have to be launched in the summer since I'll be needing to work and stuff before then. I would definitely need to get equipment. Hmm, and maybe some content?
    Fuck that Jeff. I hate how jobs can be.
    Officially, the reason is because they split the Sales Director and B2B Sales Manager jobs and with the extra person they don't need my help. Thing is, they hired the new manager form outside the company and he's wonderful but knows very little of our processes or products, so they need me more than ever.

Unofficially, I think this is my comeuppance for a nagging tendency not to suffer foolishness, even when keeping my mouth shut would be a better idea.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 317
    Ugh. I know how being yourself can go. Punch up that resume.!
    I started to provide a long list of grievances and anecdotes relating how dumb they are, but I felt like I was plagiarizing an M Gosse jam somehow.

Suffice to say: they assholes.
    Matilda just started a new job, so I pretty much have to suck it up and endure until she's at the point of earning properly again.
    What a crazy work environment. Or maybe it's normal for that industry.
    You should write that list, Jeff: it will help you vent, and it will make us laugh. And Matt will feel less alone.
    Nah, I need to let more shit go. That's why I'm in this position.

What's errybody doing this weekend?
    edited January 5
    Ugh...I hate that my ex is friends with my sister, or rather I hate that my sister has used the end of my marriage to strengthen her relationship with my ex. Why can’t exes just disappear for a year or two? Why does this one have to make a point of maintaining her connection to my family?