Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Happy New Year, crappiteers!

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 2,648
    edited January 5
    I would have to agree, and I say that as someone who was on the other end after my first marriage. I liked my ex's family a lot and they were like my second family. I stayed in touch with them some until I realized it was driving my ex nuts. In the end, I decided that even though they were important people to me, I had to let them go out of consideration for my ex. After all, they were *her* family.
    We'll be doing... nothing this weekend. We're on a skin-of-our-teeth budget after the holidays until we catch up a bit.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 1,584
    My brain is so fried from the holidays, I have no idea what we'll be doing. Which is nice. Maybe start making 2018 plans.

On an unrelated note, LadyBird is not as good as the world told you it was.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 3,569
    edited January 5
    It's -20°C outside, and I've just shovelled my driveway for half an hour. As soon as I came back inside, I put on some Beach Boys and drank a cup of piping hot coffee.

I don't own a car. Why do I shovel my driveway?

Anyway, were not going anywhere this weekend. Staying in and watching movies, I think. I have to prepare classes anyway.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 1,346
    edited January 5
    My sister and S_ _ _ have been friends since they were in 9th grade. I don't expect either one to decide to do anything because it would be helpful to me. It pisses me off, but it's like an inner-child hurt feelings kind of pissed off.

Sister: Would you like a piece of chocolate pie?
    Me: Chocolate pie? Where's it from?
    Sister: Oh, S_ _ _ came over yesterday and made it with E_ _ _ _. (my niece)

Later that same night.

Sister: OK, I'm leaving.
    Me: Where are you going?
    Sister: Out to dinner with S_ _ _. Sorry. Bye! Love you!
    Yeah, I kinda woke up crazy pissed off this morning. Exercising and shrimp took a bit of the edge off.
    Gonna make myself practice alternating thumb stuff on guitar after I get out of the shower. Doing this not very fancy fingerpicking and trying to sing the song is really difficult.
    What song are you trying to learn, Ev?
    Basic shit like Spike Drivers Blues, Green Green Rocky Road, Staggerlee, Nine Pound Hammer - just the stuff on the Happy Traum dvd. I'm wondering how well I need to play a song before moving to the next lesson.
    edited January 6
    I'll tell you what I do: I learn the lick, or the song, well enough to play it without having to stop all the time, and then I move on. But here's the important part: every time I sit down to practice the stuff on a course, I replay everything I've learned so far, in the order I've learned it, at least once, and only after this do I practice the new material.
    I'll tell you what I do: I ... lick... well enough ... all the time ...the important part
    Well, that too, of course. It goes without saying.

I guess I do just about the same. Everything I’m trying to learn is incredibly rudimentary. The trouble with being an oldster is finding time to practice. I’m doing well if I can get in 30 minutes of practice. On the weekend, I can usually do about an hour, but not all at once. Progress is very slow, but at least it keeps my mind off stuff I don’t want to think about for a little while. Some days I’m not all that inspired, but so far I’ve managed to make myself practice on those days, too.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 317
    Yeah, I didn't dig Lady Bird.
    edited January 8
    I have more trouble finding time to practice when I'm on holiday than when I'm working. I have a daily routine when I work: I practice every week day from 3pm to 4 pm, before I leave to pick little S. at school. But when the whole family's around, that daily routine goes out the window.
    ...and it beat Get Out at the Golden Globes last night.

That is just laughably wrong.
    edited January 8
    Get Out was great. It even held my mom's interest which is saying a lot. I haven't seen Ladybird or Lady Bird.
    Now I’m getting email about Oprah running for president. I don’t want Oprah to run for office.
    The fact that the left might be able to counter the politically inexperienced television personality who is currently in office with a politically inexperienced television personality who is more likable and less amoral does not charm me as much as it seems to charm most people.
    Maybe everyone will get a new car if Oprah becomes president!
    Could one of you describe a single policy-related view held by Oprah? Just curious, I mean, you must know her better than I do.
    She is a staunch supporter of good warm feelings.
    She believes in The Secret, which I guess means she'll be having us visualize our way into success as a nation.
    Simon and I have matching Cubs gear.

I was actually irritated by Oprah's speech. Good speech but as it reached a crescendo I was thinking it was a bit of grandstanding and sure enough nobody is talking about the content of the speech, just that she might run for president. So, way to make it about yourself Oprah.!
    Also, I can't stand seeing a room full of celebrities suck themselves off.
    Simon and I have matching Cubs gear.
    My grandmother would approve.
    I'm supremely irritated by how many normally sane publications are running with this story. We need to be a LOT smarter over the next 3 years if we're going to survive.
    Repubs are doing a great job at alienating Latinos. Let's hope everyone gets motivated to vote.
    edited January 10
    Simon and I watched Terminator Genisys last weekend and I was pleasantly surprised at how not bad it was. It's not a speck on the first two, but it's waaaaaaaaaay better than Terminator Salvation and probably better than Rise of the Machines. If you enjoy Doctor Who-like wibbly wobbly timey wimey loops and paradoxes, you might enjoy it pretty well. I'd give it a mild recommend, which considering what I'd heard about it, is a nice surprise indeed.