Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

But on the other hand who gives a shit?

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 3,570
Time for a new topic. I was just waiting for the right thread title to come up.

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 3,570
    edited February 8
    I haven't seen a single one of all those movies you guys have mentioned. I've downloaded Get Out, but I've been busy with other stuff, so...
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 1,346
    Why can't it be Friday? I still think the work week is one day too long. I think as a backlash against the #Me Too movement, I'm gonna start a #You Just a Buncha Skanky Hos movent
    Moe, just because your ex is being shitty, it doesn't man that all women are skanky hos, you know?
    Hey, did you know that there's a conspiracy to thwart Brexit, and that it is being led by George Soros? I kid you not!
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 2,652
    Yet another libertarian libertine.
    If you find yourself with 2 hours to kill, I was at this show in 2003 and it was great.

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 1,588
    Besides watching that, what's everybody doing this weekend???
    Same ol' - school prep, chores, reading, guitar practice, Sunday high tea...
    I may try to watch another episode of Altered Carbon, but I wasn't all that impressed with the first one.
    Sometimes I wonder what kind of career I would have if I could suffer fools.
    Today is National Pizza Day. So we'll be having pizza. The fam will have the real stuff and I'll cook up a crustless pizza for myself in the Crock Pot.
    huh. I am having trouble imagining how one does such a thing.
    I do not have a whole bunch of ideas for our weekend. I've got the boys, but its going to rain the entire time and there aren't any must-see movies out there.

Hoping they will be up to make some music/movies/boardgames.. because I got nothing.
    The Onion's film review of Fifty Shades Freed is a must-see.
    edited February 12
    Sometimes I wonder what kind of career I would have if I could suffer fools.
    Why, you coulda been president of America!
    I saw the 4K restoration of Suspiria on the big screen last night. The restored picture was great but the spruced up quadrophonic soundtrack might have been even better.
    That sounds like an excellent night out.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 317
    I was just thinking about Suspiria. Like, what was the plot?? An all girls college where they sacrificed virgins? All I can ever remember is the razor-wire room.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 317
    We watched Fred Armisen's Stand-up for Drummers. I wish the whole thing would've been geared solely at drummers cause that shit was funny. It was pretty good. Everyone had to prove they were a drummer before they could get into the show.
    Much of the show is Fred showing off what an incredible drummer he is. Which he is. Looked like J Mascis was in attendance.

Also started watching Mindhunters. Loving it so far.
  • KimKim Posts: 514
    edited February 12
    This is for Jeff and I think it’s funny ...
    he posted this on my Facebook page <3
    Little S. spent the last three days recovering from a bout of flu. Nothing serious. She's doing fine now.

Did you know that this flu season has been pretty bad so far? Statistically, it's seems it's about as bad as the famous 2009 H1N1 swine flu pandemic.

But it's getting nowhere near the same level of attention. I guess our mass media have other things on their mind.
    It really is some serious shit. My coworker just got out of the ER. Tom Caw's father died from it on Saturday. I feel like I should be seeing facemasks in the Metro by now.
    My new boss's wife nearly died last week, and it all started with the flu. She'd had the flu weekend before last, but due to what they now believe is some still-undiagnosed autoimmune disorder, it flared up ridiculously, becoming pneumonia, filling her lungs with fluid and affecting her heart. By Monday, she had collapsed and was taken by ambulance to the hospital, by Tuesday, she was on a ventilator and by Wednesday, they were telling him to "have a plan in place." Mercifully, when they got to the stage where they had to take her off a ventilator and see if she could breathe on her own before her heart started to fail, she totally did. She recovered weirdly quickly actually, and while they still have to find out what the underlying issue is, she looks like she may yet be fine.

Pretty scary to have a nice co-worker our approximate age go from his wife having the flu to thinking he was going to lose her within a few days, though.
    edited February 12
    I finished American War. That was pretty good. Less "ripped from the headlines" than its premise (a new Civil War in the US South) would lead you to expect. It's really more about crafting a scenario that puts the US into the same state of tribalism and perpetual war that the Middle East is in, so that it becomes more comprehensible. I liked it.

I tried to read The Book of Joan, but couldn't get into it. It's a weird sci-fi thing about a future where gender identity, sex, and art have all become unmoored in a culture of artistic self-scarification. I can see where marginalized people would find it resonant but I had too much else to read to get excited about it, so after 40 pages of mostly scratching my head, I gave up.

Exit West by Mohsin Hamid is terrific though. It's got a weird central conceit I did not see coming, but it really helps the story focus on what refugees go through in terms of loss and anxiety, as opposed to the how-they-got-there survival stuff that usually dominates stories like these.
    The only thing I read this weekend was a writing assignment that E____ did for his English class. It was to be done in the style of a fable.

Shit was brutal. About a cocky greedy farmer that meets a golden frog who offers him wishes. But in exchange the farmer must kill an escalating list of family members. Finally to fulfill his wish to become a god, he kills his wife and children. When he returns home he discovers the frog had deceived him and he sits down on the empty lot where his home once stood and weeps into his hands for what he has done.

Jesus christ.
    I tried to read The Book of Joan, but couldn't get into it. It's a weird sci-fi thing about a future where gender identity, sex, and art have all become unmoored in a culture of artistic self-scarification. I can see where marginalized people would find it resonant but I had too much else to read to get excited about it, so after 40 pages of mostly scratching my head, I gave up.
    Have you read The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula K. Le Guin?
    Shit was brutal. About a cocky greedy farmer that meets a golden frog who offers him wishes. But in exchange the farmer must kill an escalating list of family members. Finally to fulfill his wish to become a god, he kills his wife and children. When he returns home he discovers the frog had deceived him and he sits down on the empty lot where his home once stood and weeps into his hands for what he has done.
    I like E.'s sense of humour!