Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I doubt we're actually going to Graceland

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
edited August 2018 in Main
Time for a new thread!

Comments

• KimKim Posts: 624
    The Stax Museum is really good in my opinion
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    sadpaulsimon.jpg
    488 x 492 - 73K
    This glum follow up record was a big career misstep in my opinion.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    edited August 2018
    They thought ""Shit on the Soles of Her Shoes" would be a hit, but alas...
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    Does his hat say "The Apeman"?
    Either there's a "c" just behind the brim, or he's a big Kinks fan.
    (Googles "The Capeman." Sees that is a thing.)

GRUMBLEGRUMBLE

Wish it had been "The Apeman."
    edited August 2018
    (Googles "The Capeman" too 'cause Jeff never explains anything. Sees that it is a thing. Goes 8-| )
    edited August 2018
    If youse wanna know what "The Capeman" is, google it too, you lazy bums.
    Either there's a "c" just behind the brim, or he's a big Kinks fan.
    It could be both, you know? Those are not mutually exclusive.
    I concede your point. In fact, I'd say it's probably likely both.
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, but he probably hates Kinks' records from the 80s.
    How did the mansplainer drown in a puddle?

It was a well, actually.
    edited August 2018
    That's a pretty good article. I'm finding as I listen to more and more music that a lot of the demarcations between music and genres that I used to insist on don't really mean anything to me anymore. A lot of that is because rock music has gotten super fucking boring.

That's not to say there's no good new rock music, only that there seems to be less of it than in years past, with signs pointing to that downward spiral continuing.

In order to find new stuff that's worth listening to, I've had to broaden my palate a little. I'm cool with electronic-tinged stuff now, danceable things, synth pop, hip hop, etc. So long as they're feeling it and trying to write songs, I'm in.

I noticed the other day, that among the remaining new/new-ish rock bands I like, they are overwhelmingly at least one of the following: female, LGBT, non-white, non-American. I didn't even do that consciously as some sort of Pin a Ribbon on Me, I'm Liberal kind of thing. It was purely accidental.

But what I think it shows is that the people finding the freshest takes on rock are seldom four straight white dudes playing guitar/guitar/bass/drums. It's often the people who weren't really welcomed before taking their chance and running with it. They're telling me something new, which is super-duper-appreciated.

Anyway, my two cents.
    I for one think that white males should be furious that they're culture is being co-opted.
    edited September 2018
    The whole idea of a "rock music canon" sounds kind of weird to me. I was (and still am, a bit) a big snob, you know, they were better before they sold out, this obscure band you've never heard of is so much better than the Beatles, etc, I must I've said one of those nuggets at least once before I was thirty... So, when I was younger, I considered anything "classic rock", which comprises a lot of the rock canon, to be overrated music for old farts.

Of course, I mellowed when I got older, got tired of being a snob, gave the music a chance and enlarged my horizons. However, I never developed much respect for the music in the so-called "rock canon". To me, there is no "rock canon": there's music I like and music I don't like, and I don't need any help deciding which is which.

Therefore, in my little musical bubble, classic bands like the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd have always gotten along fine with Turkish psychedelia, german bands from the seventies, New Zealand bands from the 80s, British folk, Scandinavian rock, french pop and all kinds of more esoteric stuff.

Rock canon, schlock buchanon, who gives a shit!
    Donald Trump confirms Star story on his secret bombshell remarks about Canada
    High-stakes trade negotiations between Canada and the U.S. were dramatically upended on Friday morning by inflammatory secret remarks from President Donald Trump, after the remarks were obtained by the Toronto Star.

In remarks Trump wanted to be “off the record,” Trump told Bloomberg News reporters on Thursday, according to a source, that he is not making any compromises at all in the talks with Canada — but that he cannot say this publicly because “it’s going to be so insulting they’re not going to be able to make a deal.”

“Here’s the problem. If I say no — the answer’s no. If I say no, then you’re going to put that, and it’s going to be so insulting they’re not going to be able to make a deal ... I can’t kill these people,” he said of the Canadian government.

In another remark he did not want published, Trump said, according to the source, that the possible deal with Canada would be “totally on our terms.” He suggested he was scaring the Canadians into submission by repeatedly threatening to impose tariffs.

“Off the record, Canada’s working their ass off. And every time we have a problem with a point, I just put up a picture of a Chevrolet Impala,” Trump said, according to the source. The Impala is produced at the General Motors plant in Oshawa, Ontario.
    I've just seen Jeff's pictures of his Memphis trip and that reminded me that, fuck me, I want a Grifters t-shirt!
    I have 4 Grifters shirts and one Band Called Bud
    One Shangri La Records Memphis T-shirt
    You Dad’s do good is what I took away from this weekends pics, Eric and Jeff :)
    All of you are OUTSTANDING/GREAT FATHERS
    I have 4 Grifters shirts and one Band Called Bud.
    You're mean. Mean and selfish. [-(
    edited September 2018
    Hey Jeff, did you get to meet Tripp and Bammers?
    Hey errybody! Back from my four day minication. Feels good to start the week on a Wednesday. We should really move this nation to a three day workweek.
  • I got to hang out with Tripp and Chad (and Dan Ball and S____ and Kate Beifuss), but forgot to take pictures like an idiot.

I support capn's three day work week initiative.
  • We brought home four pounds of barbecue and three bottles of sauce.

Because, priorities.
    Nice. AND you made it to Graceland!