Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We out here making HISTORY!

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
That's right, motherfuckers!

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,494
    We were just sent the most unintentionally hilarious letter advising us that protests are currently underway about Kavanaugh and the Van Dyke trial, but that we should be assured that the building's management has "been working behind the scenes on these issues for well over a month now, and [they] have a comprehensive plan to protect the property and all of you if warranted. Let's hope it's not needed."

Just in case a person could work here and not guess how rich and out of touch the people who own this behemoth are, we've now been reassured that we're protected in case the modest crowd peacefully protesting many blocks from here decides to riot or try and burn this 20-something story building to the ground or some shit.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    Where are you located? Near the courthouse?
    Chicago Board of Trade. All the way in the loop, just under 5 miles from where the Van Dyke trial is happening.
    Well, here's hoping they don't lock you in and you are unable to join the protesting.
    A very, very large deal I have been working on for months now seems likely to close and pay out before the end of this month, which I am hoping will be my last here.

This will mean I can spend the latter half of the month reading Twitter and playing foosball. Sounds good to me.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    Reading twitter: 8-|

Playing foosball: <:-P
    What's everybody got going on this weekend?
    Nothing. Tilda's doing a late bday girls' night thing, but I'm doing... nothing.

I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE WATCHING CUBS PLAYOFF GAMES.
    edited October 2018
    Sunday, we're going to visit my old friend Alex. I haven't seen him in a while. And that's because I can't stand his wife.

But I love my old friend Alex, in spite of his bad taste in women. So I'll be on my best behaviour. Please send me positive tact-and-diplomacy atoms.
    I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE WATCHING CUBS PLAYOFF GAMES.
    Can't you play foosball instead?
    Sorry Jeff. Sorry for my dead grammy too.
    There of the four women who were supposed to take T____ out cancelled. So she felt embarrassed and called it off rather than have a girls' night where only one girl actually showed.

She feels like shit now and there's not really anything I can do about it.
    Bummer. Positive mind atoms streaming in Tilda's direction.
    edited October 2018
    The Suffocation of Democracy
    by Christopher R. Browning
    As a historian specializing in the Holocaust, Nazi Germany, and Europe in the era of the world wars, I have been repeatedly asked about the degree to which the current situation in the United States resembles the interwar period and the rise of fascism in Europe. I would note several troubling similarities and one important but equally troubling difference.
    Nothing you probably haven't heard before, but it's a good summary.
    edited October 2018
    Seen today on the internets: "the rapepublican party".

Guffaw!
    Well, I guess you guys should stop pretending that your Supreme Court is some sort of sacred institution of sacredness, you know?
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,278
    I had to have my crazy old dog euthanized last night, so that sucks.

Also, happy Columbo Day to everybody. Don’t forget to wear your trench coat today!
    I am so mad at T_____'s girls right now. Friends need to show out for each other. It matters.
    Big love to the crazy old dog. <3
    Thanks, man. I plan on spending most of the day with the covers over my head.
  • KimKim Posts: 624
    Sorry about your dog, Moe. I put mine down the day before Thanksgiving and still miss him.

Sorry for your wife, Jeff. Those don’t sound like friends. That made me sad
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    Sorry to hear that, Ev. That fucking sucks.
    edited October 2018
    Sorry about your dog, Moe. How old, and how sick, was he?

Talking about death... My wife's beloved grandaunt is dying. She's 94. It was quite sudden: two weeks ago, she was her dotty old self, a bit demented, but not too bad. Then she fell down, broke a wrist, and everything started to go downhill: now she can't remember who anyone is, she can barely breathe, eat and talk. She's has been moved to palliative care, and she will die soon.

We visited her yesterday, to say good bye, and I couldn't recognize her at first. This old lady was my wife's replacement grannie, 'cause her grandmother was rather distant. My wife is quite sad.
    She was 13. She killed an enormous raccoon about 10 days ago and then she started going downhill fast. Her lymph nodes swelled up and then she lost her vision. The vet said it looked like she had lymphoma, but unfortunately, I couldn’t afford all the necessary testing to find out for certain. I don’t have pet insurance. Anyway, it was just time.

Sorry about your wife’s grandaunt. Aging and dying...I gotta start working on finding some joy.
    edited October 2018
    Here's a cute kitten to help you find some joy, Moe:
    Was it the cute kitten that killed crappity? Or the Nikki Haley resignation?
  • KimKim Posts: 624
    I personally enjoyed the black Metal Benny Hill
    New West Records is not only re-releasing expanded versions of The Glands' two albums, they're putting out their unreleased double-length third album.

https://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2018/10/09/655637199/the-glands-may-be-the-greatest-band-you-ve-never-heard-of

If you don't know The Glands, I highly recommend them. They're like Yo La Tengo if they were from Georgia instead of New Jersey or CCR if CCR was part of the Elephant 6 collective.