Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DANSPLAINING!

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    edited October 2018
    Thanks, I might check it out. I'll probably have the time next winter, as my university didn't give me a new course to teach.

I'm a lecturer, that means I'm working under a short term contract, and that if any of the tenure-track professors feel like teaching one of my classes, I get bumped. Well, one of the professors, a new one, by the looks of it, will be teaching Introduction to petrology next winter, which means I'm out of a job.

I love to teach, but I hate being a lecturer: no job security whatsoever. I'm going to try to find something else, but I'm not optimistic.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,497
    If I am being honest, it turns out I do not actually mind the train to the city. I still resent the being obnoxiously underpaid thing, though.

There is a meeting set up for November 8th where the boss I like and four others (including me) will meet with an AVP who intends to hire the lot of us.

Plus one of the other reps I work with who is part of our escape plan has a job offer from a company that wants to talk to me too. So I have options.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,280
    I just finished reading The Man in the High Castle. It was ok, but I didn’t think it was as good as some of the other PKD books I’ve read.
    I agree. What's your favourite PKD novel, Moe?
    edited October 2018
    Brazilians just elected a far-right cretin for president. See, you're not alone!
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    In this case, misery does not love company.
    The tv show for The Man in the High Castle didn't do much for me. It felt like A+ level Golden Age of Television production values and quality of concept kind of indifferently, soullessly executed. I fell asleep during every single episode I ever tried to watch.
    It's like America is our kid and while we thought he was ready for Advanced Transgender Acceptance class, it turns out he's actually failing Black People Are Citizens class and remedial It's Not Okay to Murder Jewish People class.
    It is making my head spin.
    And your kid is failing basic science.
    edited October 2018
    We're all gonna die of smallpox! It's true! I saw on fox and read it on the interpubes! 8-|
    Jesus Christ and now he's looking at an executive order to end birthright citizenship?

Jesus Christ.
    John Carpenter wrote a "theme" for the streaming horror movie service, Shudder:

He's just throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks. I wish the LSM would stop following every stupid thing he says. Mention it, fine. But don't BREAKING ALERT that shit. Stay focused on things that matter in reality-land.
    edited October 2018
    I'm hearing that this is absolutely not a stunt. He intends to use his Court to muscle this through by exploiting the words "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" as a loophole, both because he wants this and because it's a test run for limitations he intends to place on free speech by "interpreting" the First Amendment via EO.
    A year ago, that would have sounded paranoid, but now I just do not know.
    I feel like a frog who has become convinced the pot he is in is slowly being brought to a boil.
    That sounds about right. There is so much to be concerned about right now. For the first time in my life, I feel like things could go very badly. A new Dark Age sort of badly.
    Apparently, you're the "the only country in the world" that gives birthright citizenship! How do you like them apples, eh?
    edited October 2018
    Tilda and I have talked at length about a feeling she grew up with that I could not previously understand: the feeling that your country may not deserve your faith, that as invested in it and as hopeful for it as you try to be, it may not be rational to trust that it is forever on the path upward. Things not only can get worse; they are likely to do so soon, and to stay that way for some time.

I understand that feeling now.
    edited October 2018
    The Atlantic put up an article alleging that the FBI has been asked to investigate claims that women have been offered money to fabricate sexual-harassment allegations against Special Counsel Robert Mueller.

Here.

Things are so shitty that I would not be surprised if it's true. O tempora, o mores !
    Happy birthday, Tripp!
  • KimKim Posts: 624
    Happy Birthday, Tripper!

I hope all the crappity kids have a fun time tonight
  • KimKim Posts: 624
    I’m getting my drunk on tonight yay! Laughter and fun
    My dudes had their halloween party on Monday. A____ and his buddies won best group costume as a proton, neutron and electron.

(deeeply inhaling) NEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited November 2018
    They collectively went as deuterium. EXCELSIOR!
    Joyeux anniversaire, monsieur Lamkins!

It's sexier in french, innit?
    They fired that boss I like. Today feels extra crappy.

Trick-or-treating was fun though. Great weather and a ton of kids.
    Cap, your kids play Undertale, right? Maybe they will recognize Simon's costume. He was Sans.

Ha. Nice. Yes, they were deep into a few years back.