Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Urp. Okay. Going back to work now.

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
edited November 2018 in Main
Good evening, crappiteers.

Comments

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,629
    Good morning to you.
    Got intel that a fire drill was about to happen, so I took the elevator down and went shopping.

Not looking to climb 11 flights of stairs this early in the morning.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,492
    That is some good intel!
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,009
    I teach most of my classes up in the ninth and tenth floor. I wish I had that kind of intel.
    I finally had to come around to accepting that I'm in a fairly high anxiety mode of late. I've been given a tiny dose of xanax and even in a very small dosage that seems to be helping. I still hate this job but I'm no longer so anxious and agitated about it that I operate all day feeling like I'm absorbing raw electricity. I've even given up train drinking. There was the one day where I drank going to work, yeah, but I was enjoying some wine on the way home most days, too. It didn't seem like a good path to be on.

Long term, the answer seems clear: I need a new job.
    If your job is doing that to you, yep, get a new job.
    edited November 2018
    I love my job, and I think I'm good at it... But I often don't get enough work.
    I like the people I work with a great deal. That makes a big difference.

That being said, these bitches need to have my money. We are a massively profitable firm and they're handing out raises like a mom and pop store.
    What ch'll got this weekend?
    We have a dinner party tomorrow night with a journalist friend of mine that has a music podcast on our local NPR hub. Recently interviewed Irmin Schmidt and Colin Newman. This week he talked to Steve Reich. So I'm feeling good about the conversation.

Besides that, just FINALLY wrapping up all of A____'s college applications. I keep thinking we're done, but there's always a few more steps to wrap up it seems.

Oh and christmasing the house. Although we just rearranged our whole living room and yesterday realized THERES NO FUCKING WHERE TO PUT THE TREE.
    It's only because we all read this at work that I did not reply with an image-assisted "fucking where"/"fuckingwear" pun.
    Be home soon then.
    I haven't started xmasing the house yet: I have a strict no xmasing before December rule. This year, we have a kitten in the house, so I'll put up the tree with minimal ornamentation, nothing fancy or fragile.
    May I ask you to share a photograph of this kitten?
    What, are you going "pics or it didn't happen"? O ye of little faith!

Here:
    IMG_0506.JPG
    640 x 480 - 75K
    KITTEH!!!!!!!!!
    edited December 2018
    As you probably heard, Bush senior croaked and... Oooo boy, hagiography! Gonna be even more jarring when America's most beloved president, George W. Bush, dies. 8-|
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2018
    G.W.H. Bush timed his death to distract the country from Trump’s latest shitstorm. A team player to the very end.

Weekends suck so hard. Since I don’t have a social life to speak of, I feel obligated to spend my evenings hanging out with my mom. Also, there are all the little chores like laundry and grocery shopping. I’ve basically been living in squalor for the past several years, so I’m slowly trying to spruce up the place...very slowly. I’m just not that motivated to clean. Today I worked out, did some shit for class tomorrow, and now I’m going back to my mom’s. Did I mention that my sister went into the jewelry making business with my ex? Yep, she did. They’re making $300-$500 pieces and selling them in another friend’s boutique. It’s difficult not to resent my sister. Her attitude is that she was friends with my ex before I got married and that I shouldn’t have married her to begin with. It’s all quite frustrating and a bit emotionally draining.
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 421
    221 unread posts?
    Matthew! How the hell are you?
    edited December 2018
    I resent my douchebag of a brother all the fucking time, Ev. You have my sympathies.
    Yeahh.... That's not terribly cool. Especially for a less an amicable break up. My family iced out my babymama until I gave clear signals that we were on friendly terms.

Sorry you have that blech twist.
    Yesterday, I went and saw this movie:

It's a Tamil-language scifi film, the sequel to the famously bananas Enthiran. On balance, it was no sillier and no more nonsensical than the average US popcorn movie, but being a Kollywood film, it was garish and over the top and loud in a way that had a different flavor than usual. I had a good time.

The plot is that an ornithologist concerned about the effects of cell phone radiation on sparrows hangs himself from a cell phone tower. His angry ghost combines with the cell phone radiation and the spirits of all the dead birds to create a supernatural entity that whisks all the cell phones from the city of Chennai into the air and forms a giant bird/monster/thing from them. Only super scientist Dr. Vaseegaran (played by "Superstar" Rajinikanth ... literally that is how he is listed in the credits), his robot creation Chitti (also Rajinikanth), and his newest robot, sexy girl robot Nila can save the city.

I guess what I am saying is: hey popcorn movies with international flavor can be very entertaining.
    edited December 2018
    This made me larf:

Can I just say to simpatico folks here, that when people post that viral article about how Adderall and crystal meth are basically identical, they are making the world a shittier place for people with ADHD? I read the thing and I know that the point the author is making is actually that methamphetamine's abuse profile has made us overlook its treatment value.

But your asshole uncle and your stupid ass high school classmate aren't going to read the thing and see that he's talking about microdoses of lab-created meth, not street doses of stuff made from cold medicine and antifreeze. He's not saying Adderall is secretly an drug of abuse, he's saying maybe we should prescribe low does of lab-made meth. They're just going to read the headline and it's going to reinforce the idea that ADHD isn't real and people taking Adderall aren't getting treatment they're just a) abusing speed b) victims of a big pharma conspiracy or c) both.

Adderall helped me learned how to function as an adult human being. It helped me finish school, hold down a job, and learn to read social cues so I could be a passably nice person with friends and relationships.

Ugh. Sorry for the rant.
    Happy to report that hasn't reared it's head in my newsfeed.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2018
    Fuck Facebook in its faceass.
    Kablam!!

We are long overdue for a new dominant social media platform. Where are the disruptors when you need them?
    Today's international movie recs (as those seem to be my thing now) are the films of Timo Tjahjanto. He's an Indonesian director who makes screamingly ultraviolent movies, several of which are on Netflix.

The Night Comes for Us is a gangster movie about a Triad assassin sent to oversee the killing on an entire village. He relents and saves one girl and they end up running for their lives. This is the most violent I have ever seen an action movie be while playing it straight. Nearly the entire movie is pitched at the level of the hallway sequence from Old Boy.

May the Devil Take You is like a riff on Sam Raimi's Sam Raimi-isms, drawing on Indonesian mythology. Basically, it's a better Drag Me to Hell than Drag Me to Hell was.

Headhsot is another action pic. I haven't seen it yet, but I assume the hero is horribly injured at least six times.
    edited December 2018
    And he lives and keeps on fighting, right?