Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Urp. Okay. Going back to work now.

Comments

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Spoilers.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    Sorry...
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    This is a scene from The Night Comes for Us:

That is some violent beezwax.
    Morning routine now:

Optimist version: sip a latte, listen to the Fleet Foxes while I stroll to work from train station.
    Pessimist version: grind teeth, power walk from train station while listening to Black Flag.
    My commute was absolutely dreamy this morning. Everything is shut down for the funeral, so it was a total ghost town. Parked at the very front of the lot and the trains were practically empty.

thanks GHWB!!!!
    Trying to find a way to joke that I could go for that without it sounding like I'm advocating ending the life of a prez.... Failing.

Eh, well.
    Netflix: We noticed you enjoyed several Indonesian horror films this week. Here are a few more you might enjoy, as well as an Indonesian action film from one of the directors you like.

Amazon Prime: We noticed you like $GENRE.FOREIGN.FILMS. Here are six unrelated films in six different languages in six different genres.
    It's nearly 2019, it would be cool if we could stop treating all non-English films as a single genre.
    On a related topic. Why did Netflix pay $100M to extend Friends for another year. Is there that much demand?! Or does Netflix have literally all the monies at this point?!

Not sure which answer I'd prefer.
    edited December 2018
    Did no one tell you life was gonna be this way?

(clap clap clap clap)
    When I have seen Friends on tv lately, all I can think of is, Holy shit, diversity initiatives have really changed our expectations for tv. That was a tv show about NYC that was on the air for like a decade with almost zero non-white people in it, and no one even thought that was weird.
    Ha. Yeah, I never watched Friends but I've had that experience with seeing other shows from that era. It was just not a thing.
    There would have to be 8.4 million Friends fans so hardcore that they would cancel their subscription for this to make sense.
    That's million with an M
    Happy Birthday Kimbo!!!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    Not that anyone asked, but these are my favorite 100-ish songs from 2018. After a few years of being more into alt.country and retro soul, I've been listening to a lot of indie rock/pop this year.

These are things a person can tap their toe along with. If that's not your jam, no hard feelings.

https://open.spotify.com/user/sourbob/playlist/4KVWPSkkvr8d354BUPvwq6?si=dJe-cptlQfiz0UyGOdRwAA
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    R.I.P. Pete Shelley.

I could always relate to Pete Shelley. He was a homosapien like me.
    So you're a homosapien too?
    Your list looks very up my alley. I think I'll give it a go this weekend.
    Spotify just released everybody's personal top 100 list of 2018. Rhinestone Cowboy made my top 10. It's been that sort of year.
    Ch'all doing this weekend?
    I used theirs as a starting point for my own 2018 only list.

My Spotify-selected thing had "Common People," and "No Surprises" in my top 10. That list was weird to listen to though, because I was still mostly all Americana through January, when I started listening to the indie station on XM again. So there was a bunch of like Angaleena Presley and Whitney Rose and stuff that didn't play nice on a list with GBV and whatnot.
    I could make a pretty good backup playlist called "Music that Isn't from 2018, But That Is When I Found It." That list would have "Gronlandic Edit" by Of Montreal as every other track.
    Spotify, schmotify, I don't need no spotify. I hardly have the time to listen to all the music I own! Grumble, grumble.
    The thing I like about streaming services is that I don't have to let the feeling that I invested money in something make me stick with it. If a record is bad, I just cut bait. I don't spend seven days playing it anyway, hoping it will get better.

I can also go down style/genre rabbit holes much faster. (Like my aforementioned decision last winter that I was done with alt.country and needed newer indie stuff in my earholes.)

Works for movies, too. I don't watch shitty movies just cause I paid to buy or rent them. I just cut bait and watch something better.
    Or last week, when I decided I would listen to hardcore all week.
    I like that it lets me be more lazy. Walking 5 feet to the stereo and back is for suckers.
    I'm saddened by Pete Shelley's death. The Buzzcocks are one of my favourite British punk bands: they were funnier, poppier and smarter than most of the other punk bands, and, when I was a teen, Pete Shelley's lyrics seemed to be far more in-tune with my experience of the world than those of other similar bands.

In other words, songs about boredom and jerking off were more my thing back then than songs about social decay and politics.