Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Urp. Okay. Going back to work now.

124»

Comments

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Sounds like a dandy birthday.
    S____ and I always take the first week of January off to celebrate our collective birthdays. This year we are considering a road trip to Florida. Still not quite sure if it sounds like a fun adventure or using up our week off with a lot of "doing stuff".
    Never knew Ray Charles, Sam And Dave, and KC and the Sunshine Band and others are from Florida.
    Not gonna lie. Neither did I.
    Are you from Tampa, Eric?
    Did elementary school through high school in Ft. Lauderdale. Moved to Tampa after that. Tampa/St. Pete is definitely my spiritual home, though. Still a big nest of good friends there.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    I'm more of a curator of playlists these days. Some of mine are weirdly specific. I've got Sunday morning with the family upbeat no explicit lyrics indie pop playlists, a family friendly Beatles/ELO/other classics afternoon jams list, a playlist for late evening outdoor drinking with friends, a playlist for early a.m. transit, a combination classic soul/neo-soul playlist, etc.
    I have playlists at the two opposite extremes specificity.

1. Playlists I made for a themed party that are super specific "songs about the olympics" "songs about plantlife" etc.

2. Playlists that are called "good songs" "other songs" "these songs are good"
  • KimKim Posts: 624
    Ray Charles was born in Georgia but moved to Florida when he was an infant. Spent his formative years and learned music in the Tampa area
    I’m reading the chapter on him now
    It doesn't mention what tampa neighborhood, does it?
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    I never make any playlists. I'm either listening to a specific record with everything in the order intended, or I'm letting the random function chose from thousands of songs.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    It doesn't mention what tampa neighborhood, does it?
    The black one?
    Ray Charles lived in Greenville, Florida until his mother died. Then he moved to St Augustine Florida at 14 to go to a blind school. Lived in Orlando and then moved to Tampa at 17 and lived on Short Emery in an adjacent neighborhood known as The Scrub.
    Oh shit. The HOME house was just north of there.
    And yes, that was and is a predominantly black neighborhood.
    [nudges capn to ask the thing]
    soooooo....uhhhhhh..... Anybody doing activities this weekend?
    YUP. We're going to go hang with my ex-boss and his family in Lincoln Square and do German Christmas stuff.

How 'bout y'all?
    We've got our first full weekend with the fellahs since marching band started. :smiley:
    Hoping to see Spiderman, but E___ and S____ might form a coalition to override me to go to the Freddy Mercury movie instead.
    I love Freddy Mercury and it's got pretty good reviews, but I think I'm just alllllll full up on music biopics for the rest of my life.
    Considering how they are supposed to be shining a light on the unique creative spirit, they are all so formulaic.
    Can you provide some uniquely German christmas activities?
    I think I'm just alllllll full up on music biopics for the rest of my life.
    I HEAR YOU. SAME.

Uniquely German stuff? Gluhwein, I guess? That and browsing the German market for whatever they have that looks interesting. As with anything else in 2018, it's mostly "shit you can buy."
    The only music biopic worth seeing is Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story.
    I'm Still Here was good too. Maybe the key is to use fictional musicians.
    I’m going to breakfast with Matt at Milktooth and reading my book. I will tell more Tampa info as I get it
    This weekend ^^^^
    Milktooth is your spot these days.
    It’s sooooo good, like an explosion on your tastebuds. The first time I’ve noticed my tastebuds tingling. It’s known nationally. I meet people from other states in there all the time

https://www.milktoothindy.com/