Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Milktooth is your spot these days.

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
And we have a new thread!

Comments

• moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    Have any of you been watching Counterpart? I'm towards the end of the first season. You should check it out. It's a pretty darned good series.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    I haven't been watching Counterpart. What's that about?
    Of course, I could google it, but it's more fun to ask you.
    I just woke up and I’m much too lazy to explain. Maybe later. Right now I’m thinking maybe I’ll go back to bed.
    Damn you, Evan! Damn you to hell and back!
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,472
    The new Spider-Man animated film is pretty awesome.

Recommended.
    The series involves a replica world somehow accidently created by scientists 30 years ago, but no one in this world knows about it. Each world is deeply distrustful of the other, but share information and prevent catastrophe through espionage and a bit of diplomacy. J.K. Simmons does a great job playing 2 completly different versions of the same guy.

Just what do these gilets jaunes people want? What will appease them?
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Cheaper gas.
    As anticipated, I was outvoted on our movie choice and we saw Bohemian Rhapsody. I wound up liking it very much. Rami Malek's performance was beautifully fragile, especially considering what a runaway train Mercury's persona was.

The sound design was amazing. Cutting together different tracks from albums and live performances to give the impression that you're watching various songs being built from the ground up. Hearing them on a movie theater sound system was a treat.

The only thing I didn't like about the movie (and all music biopics) is the familiar arc of the protagonist gets rich and famous, becomes an unbearable asshole, gets hooked on drugs but eventually finds redemption. But that's not really the movie's fault. That is apparently just what happens to EVERY SINGLE famous person.

Before the movie, they ran the trailer for an Elton John biopic coming out next summer. I'll bet I know what happens!
    edited December 2018
    It would be cool if they made an Elton John biopic that looked like a generic musician biopic, but was actually a stealth realizing-he's-gay movie instead. Just all "Guys, I think I really like buttsex" right where the arguing with the A&R guys scenes would normally be. Just your mom and your Aunt Fran and your Uncle Jim all lined up ready to sing along with "Tiny Dancer" and getting 120 minutes of Elton cruising for ass.
    That's not terribly far from Bohemian Rhapsody. They spend a whole lot of screen time on that aspect of his life.
    But yes, it would be better in an Elton John movie because he has a larger group of normies in his fanbase.
    I'm reading an interesting book. It's called The Book of M. Came out this year. People's shadows start disappearing, and as they do, the victims' memories disappear, up to the point where they lose the ability to function and die.
    edited December 2018
    Just what do these gilets jaunes people want? What will appease them?
    It started as a protest by mostly lower middle class people from the 'burbs and rural areas against an increase in fuel taxes: they feel that the government is unfairly making individuals liable for the bulk of the cost of the carbon tax.

Thanks to the magic of the internets, it soon got bigger and less focused: amongst other things, there were calls for more direct democracy, the reintroduction of the solidarity tax on wealth, the raising of the minimum wage, and the resignation of Emmanuel Macron as President of France...

As far as I can tell, the protesters are quite popular in France, and they have widespread support. Also, although both the french far-right and far-left have tried to hijack them for their own political gain, so far the protesters' demands have been rather unfocused and vague, there doesn't seem to be a clear ideology behind them. The only common denominator I can see is discontent against Macron and his Prime Minister.

So far they have my sympathy, but I worry that this eventually will degenerate into yet another far-right populist bullshit fest, similar to what happened in Italy and elsewhere in Europe.

I hope not. I kind like em so far.
    edited December 2018
    Gilet Jaunes is a great name, but in English it sounds like the name of a team in a girls’ softball league.
    Reactionaries around the world are probably going to co-op it. Already, there were some ding-dongs in Saudi Alberta sporting them while protesting immigration and multiculturalism and whatnot.
    Hey, talking about immigration: today is the 30th birthday of my arrival in the new world! Almost forgot it.
    Reactionaries around the world are probably going to co-op it. Already, there were some ding-dongs in Saudi Alberta sporting them while protesting immigration and multiculturalism and whatnot.
    That is very unfortunate. Is there any whiff of anti-immigrant feelings in the French movement?
    Is there any whiff of anti-immigrant feelings in the French movement?
    I dunno. Thing is, the people who write about the gilets jaunes are projecting their own politics into the mouvement, so I can't really tell.

Good news, everyone! Apparently, we have defeated ISIS in Syria and the US will be rapidly withdrawing our troops.

So says Trump, anyway. I am sure you will be as shocked as I was that he managed to pull this off only a few weeks after his own generals said we were nowhere near the point of being able to withdraw safely.
    Sounds like Putin and Erdogan were especially good this year and got their present early.
    Simon and I went to see Once Upon a Deadpool yesterday, the PG-13 re-cut of Deadpool 2 that excises the filthiest bits and adds a new Princess Bride-style frame story in which Deadpool kidnaps an adult Fred Savage and forces him to listen as he reads the story. The studio wanted to do this as a test run to see if a PG-13 Deadpool could work in the Marvel universe. Reynolds and the director agreed to it under the conditions that a) they get to do the Princess Bride gag and b) a chunk of the proceeds go to charity.

I didn't see the original cut of this film, though I did see the first film.

Anyway...

In this version of the film, Fred Savage stops the film cold to loudly complain, "WAIT! YOU FRIDGED VANESSA? I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU FRIDGED VANESSA!" and then explain to Deadpool what that means when he sounds confused. Deadpool replies, "That sounds kinda sexist." Fred Savage: "THIS IS WHAT I AM SAYING."
    edited December 2018
    Fridged?! Can you please dansplain?
    Why is your post before mine?