Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

without help from a tottering world economy!

Comments

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Do you enjoy that sort of thing?
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    Gardening, science fairs, and kitchen renovation. Crappity getting crazee this weekend y'all!
    Not sure what kind of day you are having, but I guarantee it's better than the guy I just overheard in the men's room having a tense phone call with his boss about work performance while also frantically scrubbing his underwear because he had shit his pants.

How do I know that? The poor guy had stripped down and all of his clothes were visible under the stall door. The place reeked and you could hear him scrubbing. They've since emergency cleaned the entire restroom.
    I'm, so far, having a better day than that.
    I have hit that point with my new job where NOT KNOWING ALL OF THE THINGS is driving me crazy.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    edited April 2019
    Do you enjoy that sort of thing?
    Shit no! But wifey does, and I want her to be happy. Besides, the kitchen does need to be renovated: it's all no work space and shit storage arrangements. The kitchen's made of stuff that was cheap 20 years ago, and hasn't aged well.
    Not sure what kind of day you are having, but I guarantee it's better than the guy I just overheard in the men's room having a tense phone call with his boss about work performance while also frantically scrubbing his underwear because he had shit his pants.
    Jaysus! I'm so glad that I've never had to put up with that kind of crap.
    I have hit that point with my new job where NOT KNOWING ALL OF THE THINGS is driving me crazy.
    Are you still happy at your new job?
    Oh yeah, it's great for me. I enjoy both the infinite resources and the scattershot accountability of corporate America.

I'm just ready to hustle my way through training and make some real money.
    Hey, I sold something! So I'm off to the races. I think I might be the first among my training group to get on the board.
    You can now have coffee. Well done.
    Eric, did you hear that "Your Time Is Gonna Come" cover Tune-Yards did for XMU? It's from like a year ago but I never managed to catch it until recently. It blew my ears back.
    nuh uh. Will research that.
    anyone going to make it out to The Man Who Killed Don Quixote tomorrow night?
    Jeff, I thought of you when I read this: Enter Sandman: An Interview With Jon Langford Of The Mekons
    Ooh, thanks for that. That is a nice interview. Langford never fails to charm.
    Capn, what's up with Baltimore's mayor? John Oliver makes her out to be a crooked loon.
    Yah.... we can not seem to catch a fucking break. She was elected after the last mayor Sheila Dixon also resigned in scandal.

I mean honestly, it's a pretty good grift. Who is going to investigate some cute little books intended to improve children's nutritional habits?

But the hard reality is that we desperately need a great mayor to take on our current Governor and get equitable funding for our education and transportation systems. Every time this kind of two-bit bullshit goes down, we get further from that.

guh.
    Pretty nifty, right?

The whole press conference is worth a watch. They do a pretty good job of breaking down the process and talk about some implications of the results.
    What I found amazing is that it looks a lot like the models scientists made of this phenomenon decades before ever actually seeing it.
    The new Andrew Bird album is called My Best Work Yet and he ain't wrong. He still mixes in a bunch of violin and whistling. And he still sometimes writes rock n roll lyrics like a guy who would bring up Camus at a keg party. But he's really on point thematically for our cultural moment. And the music has some unexpected soul. Honestly, many of the instrumental backing tracks could be used without modification for Erykah Badu to sing over or for Wu Tang Clan to spit verses over. It's also good front to back, which is increasingly rare these days.
    This one is my fave:

edited April 2019
    When the best lack all conviction
    And the worst keep sharpening their claws
    They're peddling their dark fictions
    While what's left of us, well, we just hem and we haw
    edited April 2019
    The new Mekons is still growing on me. More one of their scattershot fucking around records than their ultimate anarchist folk band vein.
    edited April 2019
    The Man Who Killed Don Quixote is the Terry Gilliamest film of all time.

Allll his favorite tropes are in there. Unreliable narrator, funny/scary giants, dream logic, masquerade masks, etc.

As with many of his best movies, there is a two track story. One real and one hallucinated and he jumps back and forth often.

He spends less time explaining why he's showing you one track or the other, so you have to be mentally very loose to not feel knocked around a bit.

I'd say it's part Munchausen, part Fisher King.

I'm not sure if this review will be at all helpful, as it's unclear if it will ever see the light of day after last night's one-off screening.
    Very cool you got to see it.
    What are the people within the sound of my typing doing this weekend??
    I'll be paying my taxes. Does anyone know if we are supposed to just mail our checks directly to the Walton family? Seems like it would cut down on administrative costs.