Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The walking, breathing embodiment of the Dunning–Kruger effect

Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,472
edited June 2019 in Main
Good morning!

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,472
    How was your weekend? Yes, you. I am talking to you, specifically.
    Ours was good. Tried to maximize the amount of time I spent with Simon. I took Friday off and he and I went hiking, then did some whittling. He was excited about that from scouts.

Then we replaced a rotten wooden retaining wall out front with a new one we made from bricks. Looks solid.

Then yesterday, we did Father's Day a week early. They cooked for me, we played board games, watched a movie, some small gifts. It was good fun.

How 'bout y'all?
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    My mom's in town for A----'s graduation. As you might recall, she's a Fox News casualty. We mostly have been having fun. A couple times a day I have to redirect the conversation.

Made chicken piccata for the first time last night and pretty much nailed it.
    What gives with the early Father's day?
    Simon leaves for Romania tomorrow. Father's Day early sounded better than Father's Day without a kid around.
    Chicken piccata sounds good. We just did veal saltimbocca and that was good. Same subset of pounded meat, breaded and fried til awesome.

Heh. Pounded meat.
    ohhhh... that snuck up on me. Nice call.
    Heh. Nice.
    Ok. I'm out for the rest of the week with graduation, then this years 48 hour film challenge.

See y'all on the flipside.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    edited June 2019
    I've been teaching a class that combines mineralogy and cristalline optics (aka how to use a petrographic microscope). It was too much stuff to teach in a single term, so I've been lobbying for years to get the two subjects separated. I was also hoping that I would get to teach both classes, therefore increasing my pay.

The department finally separated the subjects. Now there is a mineralogy class and a cristalline optics class.

But the department, in its infinite wisdom, gave the mineralogy class to someone else. I ain't gonna teach mineralogy this year, and I have no idea if I'll ever get to teach cristalline optics.

So it looks like I'm down to teaching a single class this year instead of three. I love teaching, but being an adjunct professor fucking blows.
    White House Tried to Stop Climate Science Testimony, Documents Show
    WASHINGTON — The White House tried to stop a State Department senior intelligence analyst from discussing climate science in congressional testimony this week, internal emails and documents show.

[...]

But in a highly unusual move, the White House refused to approve Dr. Schoonover’s written testimony for entry into the permanent Congressional Record. The reasoning, according to a June 4 email seen by The New York Times, was that the science did not match the Trump administration’s views.
    62387186_352112995505378_4499111085898465280_n.jpg
    941 x 960 - 93K
    Sorry about the class load, Dan.
    Thanks Jeff! I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Geology related jobs are not that easy to find in a big city.
    Get a load of this asshole:
    IMG_1734.JPG
    640 x 478 - 68K
    edited June 2019
    That's my bro Charlie, plugging up the sink with his fur. Dumbass.
    edited June 2019
    My kiddo is confirmed as safely in the ground and with his grandma in Romania.

(shakes off 10,000 pound anxiety monster from back)
    You do know that flying is safer than almost any other means of transport, right?
    Absolutely. It wasn't the flight that was nerve-racking. It was the unaccompanied minor part.
    Ah, that's a damn good reason to be nervous.
    Dumb shit that makes my wife the shrink laugh:
    0.png
    640 x 480 - 145K
    "I didn't commit treason before, but I would next time if I get the chance."

President Ubu
    We got tickets for the Jason Isbell/Father John Misty show on Saturday and some friends are coming with. Should be good fun.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    edited June 2019
    I read a few articles lately relating heart health to the number of pushups you can knock out. One article stated the number of pushups that signaled a healthy heart was 40. Another stated it was 50. I do slow pushups, so I had no idea how many I could do at a rapid pace. Yesterday I was able to do 35 and today it was 37. So now I have a new fitness goal. I want to be able to do 50 in one go without having to slow down or take a short break. C'mon guys, who's with me?
    I do 30 in one go after yoga. Never felt the need to do more. But I coulda.

The.
    Prince.
    Of.
    Whales.

Shooting fish in a barrel.
    Trump: NO COLLUSION!

Also Trump: Collusion sounds fine. I would do that. No big.
    The Senate must think it’s perfectly ok, too.
    I was replacing the cabin air filter in my car and I threw out my back. I didn’t even think I was using my back at that moment. Guess I was wrong. I would gladly have spent an extra $30 to have someone else do it if I’d known this was going to happen.