Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some kinda society groove

124»

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    edited July 2019
    M______ just bought her ticket to go to Romania to bring S____ back in a few weeks. They found dirt cheap airfare and accomodations in Malta so they are adding that as a side trip.

I'm struggling with that a bit, as it was miserable enough being left out of the trip to Romania. But now Malta, too?
    edited July 2019
    This is the third time I've been left out while the two of them travel internationally. There are reasons: job stuff, financial stuff in some cases. So no hard feelings toward my family. Not their fault. But it still really and truly sucks.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    I am now also mad that I'm not going to Malta. That sounds fun.
    I am hoping I am maybe just a year away from the new job getting us to the point where we're no longer house poor.
    Debbie Downer there, sorry.
    All good. Struggle talk is allowed here.

We've had a good week looking for a replacement room-renter. We've got three that we totally like. Last time we did this it dragged on for months.

So now we're just kind of volleying pros and cons like "he sounds like the best cook" and "she has the most interesting major" and just style points. We were needlessly worried. :)
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    "She seems like she'd be into threesomes." That kinda stuff?

Sorry, I haven't had any sex in over two years.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    Another big stress has been M______'s insistence that her upcoming 40th be commemorated with a big party, as mine was.

On the surface, why not? She's great. Let's party. Digging a little deeper though, our friend network has mostly fallen apart over the last year. Last year, she tried to have a girls night for her b-day and they all canceled last minute.

Even my bday was a nightmare in some ways as we booked a suite at the local minor league ballpark and had cancellations that led to us trying to give away tickets right up the day of the party.

The last thing I want is for her b-day to be another example of us opening our arms and being shrugged off.

I'd rather we just go on a trip or something.

Presuming I would get to go this time, of course.
    edited July 2019
    In better news, I am trying to start seeing a therapist again. On the one hand, the person my insurance recommended seems great. On the other, she has a voicemail saying she will be out of town until the 8th but will be available on the 9th. And that message is on there today, which is the 9th.

People who do that drive me up a wall.
    edited July 2019
    Isn't it weird that as your kids get bigger, it annoys you how much time they want to spend chatting with friends even as adults we fucking wish we had friends around to talk with?

Chat all day kids, you are lucky someone wants to listen to you.
    I remember her bday from last year. That really ticked me off. I agree that if her friend set isn't showing better commitment, you should try to divert to a fun couple thing.
    E_____ developed some social anxiety a few years back. And was remarkably self aware and communicative about it, which I guess is how Gen Z is. So for me, seeing him casually chat and hang with friends from afar is about as happy as I get.
    If y'all haven't seen Mandy, you should. It's like a horror movie that takes place in a King Crimson album cover.
    Sample stills...
    e9ef4535a90074247ec9d67be4248061.png
    1808 x 1258 - 3M
    E_____ developed some social anxiety a few years back. And was remarkably self aware and communicative about it, which I guess is how Gen Z is. So for me, seeing him casually chat and hang with friends from afar is about as happy as I get.
    Little S. has a bit of trouble with friends too. Not social anxiety, I think. Just a bit of a tendency to overreact: she's quite sensitive and perceived slights can get big fast. She starts overthinking and anxiously wondering what does it mean.
    One giant ... lie? Why so many people still think the moon landings were faked
    The moon-hoax theory entered the modern era in 2001, when Fox News broadcast a documentary called Did We Land on the Moon? Hosted by the X-Files actor Mitch Pileggi, it repackaged Kaysing’s arguments for a new audience.
    I knew about Kaysing, but I had no idea that Faux News had played a role in the spreading of this bullshit. Fox News sure does have a lot to answer for.
    I have posted this before but this debunking of that crap is wonderful, because it's so SPECIFIC. He's not trying to get anyone to trust the government or the media. He's just pointing out that based on the film and video technology of the time, faking the moon landing was not possible.

"She seems like she'd be into threesomes." That kinda stuff?
    It doesn't get said out loud, but I'm fully confident it's factoring into both our decision making processes.
    I'm seeing Courtney Barnett today at Taste of Chicago fest. If you're coming make sure you are here by 5 and I will save you a seat?

No one? No one?

Ok. Going solo to a rock concert again. Again.
    Man. I would love to see her face sing while eating chicago food.
    I hear Ross Perot died. Remember him?
    I'm seeing Courtney Barnett today at Taste of Chicago fest. If you're coming make sure you are here by 5 and I will save you a seat?

No one? No one?

Ok. Going solo to a rock concert again. Again.
    I don't go to rock shows anymore. They end too late and they are too loud.
    I’ve got a congressional crush on Ilhan Omar.
    She may be the first congresswoman I’ve ever thought was sexy.