Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

That was as satisfying as seeing a nazi get punched.

Comments

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 2,276
    Interesting. If things don't go extremely well next Fall, I honestly don't know what I'll do. My plan hasn't progressed much further than heavy self-medication and generally giving up. The politics are better elsewhere, but the floods and droughts and unrest will be planetary.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 3,256
    edited July 29
    I'm not bold enough to dream of making it to a place with a more hopeful political situation, let alone to hope I can escape climate chaos.

I'm just hoping to take whatever net worth we have and transfer it to a country where the exchange rate puts us in a better socioeconomic bracket so that it will take longer for the rising tides of sociopolitical sewage to reach us.

Which is an awful selfish person's escape plan, but what else can we do?

Also, I'd rather fret over the decline of Western Civilization from Europe while getting to vacay in Austria or Greece than watch it first hand from the Midwest with occasional trips to Indiana or Wisconsin.
    Ha. That's a fair point.
    edited July 29
    Our house before and after the limewash/painting. Notice that we went from 1989 hunter green to a contemporary ashy blue on the shutters and foundation (which you can see a little better in the concrete wall next to the driveway.)

Before...
    Screenshot_20190729-094709.png
    760 x 569 - 469K
    After...
    IMG_20190727_135221774_HDR.jpg
    4096 x 3072 - 4M
    Plus, if I'm being honest, I like T____'s extended family, whereas mine are peripheral to us at best.
    Nice freshen up.
    Our new baby grand takes up more space than I anticipated, mostly because of how it needs to be angled. Had to do a whole lot of shifting stuff around this weekend, but I'm happy with where it all landed. The music stuff is spilling a bit into the lounge, but in a way that doesn't alter the vibes of either room.
    edited July 29
    T____ painted our new-to-us piano a chalk blue. I should get a picture of that too
    edited July 29
    It was the saddest blond 1974 piano from a high school music class with a bunch of chipped veneer. She patched it and made it quirky and blue. Looks better.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 4,574
    I’m on vacation with the family. We’ve rented a chalet in a rural island in the middle on the St-Laurent river. The place is called l’ile d’Orléans. We have a pool for ourselves and a view to the river.
    Looks absolutely beautiful there.
    Don't forget to put in for your Equifax settlement money everybody. Chances are very high you're eligible. Everyone in my office was.
    Happy vacay, Daniel-san.
    Anybody watch those them debates?
    Nope. I saw the supposed highlights on Twitter though.

You?
    She totally is. But she also drops the occasional witchy nugget at just the right time in the debate. #darkpsychicforce
    I agree with pretty much what all the reviewers said this morning, Sanders and Warren ruled the debate. They were a progressive team and everyone else on stage was trying to backtrack to "more reasonable approaches".
    Last night got ugly. Way more sniping. As a person that dislikes confrontation, I didn't enjoy it very much, but stuck with it.

It took almost 2 hours before anyone mentioned climate crisis (besides Inslee's opening remarks). I'm not sure if that's a CNN problem or a DNC problem, but it's fucking unforgivable. Not only is it important, ITS A WINNING FUCKING ELECTION ISSUE. The republicans have absolutely buried themselves with this issue.

Warren/Sanders 2020: Come with us if you want to live.
    T____ is heading out tonight to Romania and will be coming back 8/13 with the young'n in tow. It will be nice to have the band back together.

Tonight I think I'm going to eat pity pizza and go see The Farewell.
    Sounds like a solid plan. It sure is getting some nice reviews.
    I'm going to be taking A____ dorm shopping this weekend. sheets, lamps, etc. Should be nice. The kind of activity that leaves lots of time for talking.

Also taking the fam to see Eraserhead on the big screen on Sunday. Going to do my best to keep the boys unaware of what a head biscuit it is. As far as I know, its not on their radar at all.
    Today I learned that Dave Ogilvie from Skinny Puppy engineers pop songs now, including "Call Me Maybe" and I am dead now.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 1,529
    You gotta pay the bills. Dude probably has a family and big expenses. But yeah, that’s pretty twisted.

CNN and MSNBC seem to be coming out against Medicare for everyone. They keep going back to how it means higher taxes without mentioning that people won’t be having payments for insurance deducted from their paycheck.

I still like Jay Inslee, but it’s hard to imagine people getting amped up about voting for him.

Biden got slapped around so much, I started to feel sorry for him.
    edited August 3
    I also like Andrew Yang. I keep imagining getting $1000 extra every month. I would be able to pay off my debts within a year and get more work done on my house.
    Got a new set of tires today. I was going to buy 2 this month and the other 2 next month, but it was hard enough to get myself over to a tire place that I just decided to get it over with. I splurged a little and didn’t go for the budget brand.
    I’ve gotta go to a conference in Waco tomorrow. I get back Tuesday evening and go back to work on Thursday. I probably say this every year: I hate working, but it’s good to have a job.
    My brother J_______ (third youngest of our four, the one who lived with me for years and married a kinda challenging Belarussian woman whom we alternately love/have issues with; short version: we like her: but she's kinda mean to him) is having a rough week. His wife went into the ER last night with pre-eclampsia-related high BP. They thought they were going to have to induce two months early to save her life. The baby would have been 2 1/2 lbs. at birth. As of right this minute, she's suddenly doing dramatically better and the baby can stay in utero for a while longer.

I already had my ticket booked. (They said they didn't need help but fuck that noise. I was going to be there for my brother.)

If she's still doing okay in the morning, I guess I will cancel the trip and they'll never know about it.

That would be good news.

Fingers crossed the little guy gets some more time. He's at the stage where every single additional day spent in utero helps his odds. But I sure don't want her to rsk her life either, so...

Anyway, PMAs appreciated.