Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We are all #TeamMoetown here.

Comments

• I like the idea of the lesser lights sacrificing themselves to take Uncle Joe down.

Later, when Liz or Bernie is Prez, Castro can be in the cabinet.
  • This new Netflix show The I-Land looks interesting, but it's a real turd. Avoid.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    edited September 2019
    Update on my brother J_______'s baby... Still in the NICU, but he's been moved to the lower risk side, which is mostly just preemies in their little incubators who are doing well but still need monitoring and some time to gain weight.

He's at 3 lbs. 6 oz. but is now gaining an ounce or so a day. Around the time he hits four pounds, he should get to go home.

He looks like a baby now, albeit, a hairless tiny one. (At birth he looked like either a tiny alien or a Benjamin Button situation.)

The stress level is way down though. He looks like he is gonna be fine.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    edited September 2019
    Huzzah! Happy to hear that! Here's to going home soon.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    Great news! Hooray for babies that look like real babies!
    R.I.P Ric Ocasek

I remember in high school riding around in Steve Perez’s Monte Carlo with him constantly blasting the Cars first album. He was one of those guys in high school with a super-douper souped up car stereo. Unfortunately, he blasted a lot of Boston and R.E.O. Speedwagon, too.
    I was surprised to learn he was the same age as Mick Jagger.
    edited September 2019
    There was a time when The Cars were a hip MTV band, and stuff like the Stones and Led Zep were dinosaur rock... Yet Robert Plant was born in 1948 and Ric Ocasek in 1945.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,625
    edited September 2019
    Bernie has a tendency to turn into live action Statler & Waldorf. I know this is a crap criticism, but I do think it would hurt him in a general election.
    Yes, particularly in crowded debate settings. (his voice issue last week amplified the effect). He was charming as hell in his climate town hall. That's the Bernie that people will listen to.

Warren and Sanders are so well alligned, I can't help but fantasize about a truce of some kind. They are both too good to be relegated to VP. But what if one took the head of the ticket and announced that the other would fill a new Climate Czar position (with real power) that would oversee the Green New Deal.
    Just got word back that Dave Fridmann is going to master Home 18. There is a large smile on my face.
  • Heck, I'm smiling just knowing Home 18 is coming!
  • I've been filling in a gap in my musical knowledge today. I had never heard Smog before. Very much liking him/them.
    I didn't listen much either, although I like the sound well enough.
    Went and saw IT 2 yesterday. Wasn't on my super hype list, but Eli is on a horror film tear right now.

It was actually very enjoyable. It took a movie with some seriously scary parts (using a lot of practical effects to create the various monsters) and added a sort of Stand by Me sentimentality.

I suspect it would have been much less successful without Bill Hader using humor to guide the audience back and forth between the two flavors.
  • I'm gonna have to see that on streaming. Hard nopes from T____ and S____.
    We also watched The VVitch. I absolutely loved the imagery and cinematography. Witches are one of my kinks.

I'm not sure if the heavy accents kept me from understanding important reveals, or if there really wasn't ever a reveal. I kept changing my guess on what was really going on, and felt disappointed that the movie never makes up its mind.

Y'all see it? Did I miss it?
  • What horror flicks is he digging on of late?
  • Ginger Snaps is on Prime now if he hasn't seen it. I hyped that one before I think but it wasn't streaming anywhere then.
    edited September 2019
    I haven't been watching any horror films lately. These days, if I want to be scared, I just read the news.
  • Horror movies are about dealing with fears, not suffering them.
    Guffaw! Good point. Maybe that's why horror movies tend to involve the supernatural, that is, stuff that doesn't exist.
    I just finished watching Carnival Row with my mom. I go over every weekend, so we've gotta watch something. It's either that or listen to her repeat the same stuff again and again.
    How is it?
    Warren got Working Families Party endorsement yesterday. I'm surprised they checked in so early on.
    Hey, Cokie Roberts croaked!

Well, I will not attend the funeral, but I may send a nice letter saying I approve of it.
    Daaaaannnnngggg. My man pouring out a 40 oz of Haterade.
    edited September 2019
    Guffaw! "40 oz of Haterade": I gotta remember that!

She may have been a serious journalist once but, as far as I can tell, for the past twenty years or so, she was a “people are saying “ type of "reporter". She became one of those big name journalists to whom politics is all just a game and not, you know, a vast machine of human misery.

Instead of doing their jobs, these people become part of the swamp, if you know what I mean. We have them in Canada too: old, complacent, entitled and stupid. They're not really journalists anymore, they're (minor) celebrities. Sometimes, they're so invested in the game that they even become politicians themselves. There's a bunch of them taking up space and oxygen in the Canadian senate.
  • The new Ken Burns doc on PBS about country music is pretty great.
    I'm sad to say that I agree with you Dan. I grew up with her when she was doing great work and it took me a long time to notice the shift you talk about. The experience of listening to her slowly shifted to "huh, anybody could have filed that report". But the 2016 put it in stark relief. She became a smug knowing spectator when the situation demanded red flags and deep introspection. A senior pundit reporting on other pundits instead of the real world.

I still feel thankful for her early work and I'm told her books are pretty good. So I'm reserving my piss for other more worthy graves.