Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A ten year-old classmate of his had on a Jawbreaker shirt.

Comments

• Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, it doesn't change the arc of their career or anything.

And as far as the difference in sound, it's less like Let It Be... Naked than it is like the Butch Vig mixes of Nevermind. Same songs, just without someone shifting everything up and screwing the dynamics up. The songs that sounded the worst before gain the most.

Don't get your hopes up for the tracks with Tom Waits. They're all hammered and just fucking around.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    edited September 2019
    I don't know who needs to hear this, but Greta is climate striking in Montreal today.
    Going marching today. It's going to be easy, 'cause it's lovely outside.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    edited September 2019
    Last thing on Dead Man's Pop, then I'm moving on.

The main things that are better--other than the obvious dynamic range fix--are that the vocals are more distinct and the guitar fills (and other instrumental fills) are clearer and give more dimension. You can pick out Paul and Tommy separately during the choruses now, instead of them washing together Jon Bon Jovi/Richie Sambora megamix style like they did on the original record. More like gang vocals and less like 80s wall o' processed sound. And the fills sound good. Whether their progression into mature-ish alt-rock Stones was a good idea is a separate question than how well they pulled that off. Now that you can hear Slim's playing, that idea gets closer to realization. There's also cool banjo work on "Talent Show" you couldn't make out before.

Basically, if you want to sample it, pick whichever track you found the most treacly and hard to take. Odds are, you'll like it somewhat better now.

The only song I don't like better is "I'll Be You." I kind of miss the big sound on that one, because it always helps me imagine a better world where the Mats were the biggest stars on radio in 1989.
  • Bernie supporters, 2016: "It's her turn" is bullshit.
    Bernie supporters, 2019: It's his turn.
    edited September 2019
    Nancy Pelosi orders impeachment inquiry to focus on Trump-Ukraine; House speaker wants committees to report within weeks

This is a mistake. Sure, I would love to see Trump and Bill Barr frog-marched out of the White House in handcuffs... But I am far more interested in knowing about all the crap president shit-fer-brains and his cronies have been up to. And besides, son-of-a bitch isn't going to lose his day job: the repugs control the senate.

I think the best thing would be to find out every rotten thing he and his hacks have done, and to make the enquiry last far into 2020. I think that would be far more interesting, it would show that the president is accountable to congress and I believe it would be, in the long run, far more damaging to him and the repugs. Accountability, bitches!
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Going marching today. Its going to be easy, 'cause it's lovely outside.
    My man!!
  • Marvel/Disney and Sony worked it out to keep co-producing Spider-Man.

So we got that going for us.
    Things are REALLY starting to turn around.
    Marvel/Disney and Sony worked it out to keep co-producing Spider-Man.

So we got that going for us.
    One more reason to keep on living.
    In other good news, there's been a Home 18/19 track sequence thread going on for a week and as of this morning it was looking pretty fucking bad to me. But I checked in with one absolute demand then our drummer Chris did too and that frayed the sweater to the point that Andrew rewrote the whole thing and now I absolutely love it.

PMA's that nobody has any other ideas before I ship it off to Dave Fridmann.
  • I want that double record real bad, so consider yourself PMAed.
    tx!
  • I'm curious who you like (hate least) in the Canuckistani election, Daniel.
    Back from protesting. It was big: I think it was one of the largest marches I've been to. The news sites say there were hundreds of thousands of protesters. The organizers say half a million.
    edited September 2019
    I'm curious who you like (hate least) in the Canuckistani election, Daniel.
    I'm going to vote for the Bloc Québecois. I always vote for the Bloc Québecois. I became a hardcore supporter of the independence of Québec in the late 90s. I wasn't before, but events after the 95 referendum pushed me that way.
  • Mortal Engines is SO BORING.

It's bad, but not even fun bad. It's "Hey wait, what happened the last ten minutes because I zoned out" bad.
    edited September 2019
    Yep. I read those books to Little S., so she wanted to see the movie. In particular, I fucking hated what they did to Anna Fang and Hester Shaw. Anna Fang shouldn't look like an extra from the Matrix movies, and Hester Shaw shouldn't look cute.

I downloaded the movie, so I can only complain about the wasted time. But then again, we had quite a lot of mean fun trashing it while we watched it.
  • Musician people, if/when you check out the new Mats box, I'd love to know what that odd squawking instrument in the margins of this mix of "I'll Be You" it sounds like a goose, or the Charlie Brown teacher laughing, or strings as heard through a tin can telephone.

I think it was there before but it wasn't half as prominent.
    edited September 2019
    Here's Montreal's Avenue du Parc yesterday. However, there were more people at Trump's inauguration.
    70224762_2394278227292772_4026336921499205632_n.jpg
    960 x 639 - 179K
  • Look at this video 2:10 in, is that a dulcimer maybe?

edited September 2019
    That's the sound you wanna identify? Yeah, that sound could be made by a dulcimer, or an out of tune acoustic played like a slide guitar. I think that's in the mix as some kind of a joke. I'm terrible at playing slide guitar, so that's how my slide playing usually sounds.
  • Happy Monday!
    YAAAAYYYY MONDAY IN CORPORATE AMERICA!!!!
    My youngest usually DJs on our drive back from Delaware. Lately it's been mostly proggy death metal. I can live with most of it because of the progginess but it's too yelly for me to pursue personally.

This weekend however he introduced me to my new favorite pianist. Aremenian dude name Tigran Hamasyan. Gun to my head, I guess you'd call him jazz but he pulls from a lot of different worlds to create these long form instrumental pieces. Turning on a dime from flowing 32nd note ascending trills to head-banging angular pounding. Really cool stuff. He's got 7 albums out there, so I'm hoping it'll be a nice long dive.
  • That sounds cool. Nice when the student becomes the teacher. My kid mostly only listens to the Beatles and stuff from TikTok.
  • And I spent all weekend playing that Replacements box set over and over until I tested my family's patience.
  • Just figured out that thanks to accumulated off time I have to use by end of year and holidays, I will only have to work about 80% of the time through the end of 2019.
    That's a good feeling.