Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turn-of-the-century Glasgow artists

LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
edited November 2019 in Main
It was either that or "Puppet Slam".

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    If you guys aren't happy, I can still change it to "Puppet Slam".
    In hour 15 of Ken Burns' Country doc. It's been a very enjoyable ride. Just coming up on artists that I actively don't like, but I think I've got enough momentum to push through to the conclusion.
    Garth Brooks, right?

Just guessing, I haven't watched it yet. I will, soon.
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Almost to Garth. It was actually Hank Williams Jr that made me go "oh.. yah.. I was here for this and did not care for it one bit"

But even he became slightly redeemed when I saw how his mother tried to use him to exploit Hank Sr's legacy. Plus the fact that he basically fell off a cliff and had the majority of his face ripped off.

It's sometimes true that everyone has their own battles in life that we know nothing about.

..until Ken Burns tells us.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    I saw a charming interview with a sixtysomething Kathy Mattea where she was surprised/tickled to find herself near the top of the country charts after the episode featuring her aired.
    Whenever I see Garth Brooks interviewed, he just seems so darned likable. But I can count on one hand how many of his songs I like.
    edited November 2019
    Hank Jr. is your basic hardass hellraiser who gradually morphs into a hardass wingnut. I did think it was a little disingenuous that in his push to present country as a unifying force, Burns omitted bullshit like "Don't Give Us a Reason" or even Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA."
  • KimKim Posts: 624
    Remember when Garth Brooks was Chris Gaines ha

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Gaines
    That was the bright point of his career in my book. I just wish he'd really done something wild with it.
    Watchmen is outfuckingstanding. All y'all should check that shit out. But be prepared: you should read the comics first because it's definitely a sequel... and to a comic so dense that an annotated version was a bestseller.

Plus there are supplemental materials on the show's website Peteypedia that you shouldn't sleep on either.
    Probably not ideal for family viewing, right? I'll check it out on my own eventually.
    We're watching Flight of the Concords with Little S. She's liking it so far.
    edited November 2019
    Trump's impeachment hearings start today!
    giphy.gif
    480 x 270 - 2M
    What if I refuse to read the comics? Will I still enjoy the show?
    T____ is kind of doing that, though she has me to ask stuff from.

It's not until maybe episode four that the necessary background from the original series slows down.
    Probably not ideal for family viewing, right?

Rape, murder, Klansmen, and dongs.
    You could read the entire original Watchmen series in an afternoon though, so consider it.
    I've read it. I've seen the movie too. I don't usually care for superheroes, but I make an exception for Alan Moore's stuff.
    I usually only read Casper and Archie, but mayyyybe I'll make an exception. A____ has a required communications class that is based around graphic novels, so it could be a fun conversation over T-Giving.
    The movie is hot garbage... obsessing to a fetish like degree about the look of things with scarcely any understanding what the fucking story is even about.

And--funnily enough--the tv show riffs on how bad the movie is.
    All you need to know about the movie is that the character Rorschach is intended to be a reactionary, bigoted, fascist... And the movie makes him come across as some macho badass.
    edited November 2019
    I thought the movie was comparable to the the other superhero movie I've seen: modern Hollywood bad.
    edited November 2019
    It's official, I'm old. How do I know? Well, whenever I accidentally stumble upon Drake or Rihanna or BTS or whatever, you know, that kind of music, that is, overproduced pop and hip-hop mixed in with r'n'b and other things, I feel like a bebop loving beatnik must have felt when he heard rock'n'roll for the first time: WHAT THE HELL IS THIS CRAP!?!?!?!

But then I think, no, something like this kind of shit already existed when I was a kid (remember Boyz II Men and the Backstreet Boys?), and I hated it back then too.

My students seem to dig it, though. Go figure.

edited November 2019
    For my fellow XMU'er. That new Big Thief song, "Not" continues to put the hair on the back of my neck at full attention. Great song and brilliant vocal performance.

I liked their first big hit, but like so much out right now it was drowning in gauzy reverb. Nice to have such an effective intimate follow up.
    That's a great song. Adrienne Lenker's solo record is good too.
    Thanks. I really like that. Vocal melodies remind me of early Juliana Hatfield a bit.
    edited November 2019
    What're you nice folks planning for the week's end?

I want to sleep, do some advance cooking for the week, and maybe see Doctor Sleep.
    edited November 2019
    I have nothing planned for the weekend, except my usual routine, which involves practicing the guitar and playing the videogame. Huzzah!
    I have E_____ for the WHOOOOOLE weekend for the first time since marching band season started. Gonna pretty much let him program how we spend it.

Also shipping the FINISHED Home mixes to Fridmann for mastering. Finally got through all the Homeboys mixing notes and they have all signed off.