Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And thank you for the sexy girl!

124»

Comments

• LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    edited January 2020
  • captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,624
    Color Out of Space is out this weekend and is rocking some good reviews so far.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    I think if Hillary is going to call Bernie a career politician with a likability problem, the only reasonable response is for him to call her an old Jew with male pattern baldness.
    edited January 2020
    Has anyone checked out Reprisal on Hulu? It's not getting much press, but it is... singular.

Basically there's a sort of twisted version of our timeline where tech stopped around 1978/1982 (though cell phones exist), possibly because of a war in "the Archipelago," the North Pole is on fire, and still somehow the focus is a Ms. 45 style revenge yarn about hot rod gangs.

It's bananas, but I am really enjoying it.
    edited January 2020
    That's the movie based on the H.P. Lovecraft story, right? I'm curious about it: it must be really hard to adapt Lovecraft to the screen, I mean, in spite of its verbosity, Lovecraft's prose is vague in the extreme. Most of his stories are presented under the form of journals and notes written from the point of a single narrator who is usually losing his marbles. It's all atmosphere and subjective states of mind. Plus, nothing is explained, the supernatural and paranormal elements are usually presented as if the reader already has knowledge of them: names of people, supernatural figures, and esoteric books are thrown around freely as if we all had a copy of the Necronomicon right beside a little altar to Cthulhu at home.
    edited January 2020
    Sample scene: a heist crew called The Monster Ring wearing retro monster masks robs a biker burlesque bar called the Bang-a-Rang. The club, owned by a gang called the Banished Brawlers, is defended by its dancers the Pinups, brandishing machine guns and battle axes.

All of this is set to "25 or 6 to 4."

If this doesn't sound good to you... well okay. We are very different people.
    edited January 2020
    That sounds like the plot of an outlaw biker exploitation movie, something that could have been written, filmed and produced by Russ Meyer in about a week, all for a total budget of about 100 bucks.
    edited January 2020
    It's played straighter than that. It's exploitation flick content but with crazy ambition, served up with Golden Age of Television level execution. Great cast, terrific visuals, flashy but fun direction.
    That's the movie based on the H.P. Lovecraft story, right? I'm curious about it: it must be really hard to adapt Lovecraft to the screen, I mean, in spite of its verbosity, Lovecraft's prose is vague in the extreme. Most of his stories are presented under the form of journals and notes written from the point of a single narrator who is usually losing his marbles. It's all atmosphere and subjective states of mind. Plus, nothing is explained, the supernatural and paranormal elements are usually presented as if the reader already has knowledge of them: names of people, supernatural figures, and esoteric books are thrown around freely as if we all had a copy of the Necronomicon right beside a little altar to Cthulhu at home.
    Agreed, it's almost too much freedom. There are a LOT of gaps to fill in.
    If Stereogum has their facts straight, Brad is playing bass on the Stephen Malkmus tour this year.
    Plus, you know, old HP is super duper racist.

That's why the upcoming Lovecraft Country looks so interesting, as it's based off a work by a POC riffing on HPL and racism.
    edited January 2020
    R.I.P. Terry Jones. 'E's passed on! This Python is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PYTHON!!

• moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    If Stereogum has their facts straight, Brad is playing bass on the Stephen Malkmus tour this year.
    Seems like he'd have told you. If it were me, I'd be telling everyone I've ever met.