Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't sweat it, kiddos! It's all good!

Comments

• matthewmatthew Posts: 419
    Well, I am not a doctor or one of the many people who are going to or already have lost their job. I am really trying to keep it together, though. The stress chewed up a lot of staff and a few are already saying they can't go on.

Today was quieter, but this is terrifying enough without going swimming in humans for 9-10 hrs a day.

Also, to begin with, the store that I work in is famous for being rather unsanitary. It's a decent-sized small store but is packed to the rafters with stuff we sell at low price/high volume so every day it is a fight just to get the stuff on the shelves. Everything is done on the cheap and there is no extra staff to keep things clean. The business is 93 years old and everything is in rough shape. Very little is spent on maintenance of the building or the shelves, it's all just volume. Despite the appearance, people come from all over Montreal to shop there because it is so cheap.

The Yelp reviews are often funny. And not inaccurate. The place has the same family name as the star of Above The Law, but minus the first "a". Rhymes with Segulls.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 7,989
    edited March 2020
    It's that place on Saint-Laurent a bloc or so below Rachel, right? I hope it's a better job than the other store you used to work in! At least, if you haven't moved, you can walk to it.
  • Jurf_WurburJurf_Wurbur Posts: 5,475
    How long do y'all think the social distancing/schools closed/many working from home thing will go on? My gut feeling is at least until summer.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,276
    Yeah, my school is closed until the 30th. I don’t think it’s likely that everything will be better by then.
    edited March 2020
    I dont know if you heard, but there's a story going around that the US Government tried to buy a German biotech company that's developing a vaccine against the coronavirus. The weird thing about is this: "Welt am Sonntag quoted an unidentified German government source as saying Trump was trying to secure the scientists’ work exclusively, and would do anything to get a vaccine for the United States, “but only for the United States.”

Germany tries to halt U.S. interest in firm working on coronavirus vaccine

Now, this seems so heartless and stupid that I wouldn't normally believe it, but if there's one thing that defines the Trump administration, it's heartless stupidity, so...

I hope it isn't true.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    Shelby County is holding at 2 reported cases at the moment. I think a lot of Memphians self-quarantine anyway. It's just so fucking boring here.
    My guess is that an Italy style lockdown is absolutely coming to the US. They're likely just hammering out the finer points. Stores, movie theaters, etc. will
    definitely close (except groceries and pharmacies), people will not be allowed to be on the street without cause, curfews, etc. The only questions are to what extent private businesses will be restricted. Will they still let people go to work in offices, etc.?
    I haven't heard any rumors from work. They just want us to sell on through.

But I have relatives and acquaintances hearing stuff. More of a lockdown is coming they say.
    The French health ministry says a connecting factor in serious COVID-19 cases in non-elderly may be use of anti-inflammatories, even ibuprofen. That's outcomes in people who are already sick, as far as I can tell, not chances of getting sick. But good to know, even so.

It's certainly easy enough to take acetaminophen/paracetamol instead of ibuprofen.
  • KimKim Posts: 624
    High all! I had to take Facebook off of my phone because people were stressing me out. I have bad anxiety anyway so no social media for me.

Matthew THANK YOU FOR DOING YOUR JOB! You and the medical profession are my heroes!

I think we can ignore US numbers for at least a week maybe more? Our stupid government doesn’t believe in science and didn’t get tests in time and delayed the response.

Indiana just closed all schools, bars, restaurants and entertainment. 2:30pm governor press conference. I think limiting travel is next. Matt my oldest son has been in England, France, Portugal and Ireland and can’t get home until the 25th. He left March 7. Airline tickets were $5,000 last week and this week.
    What really frustrates me is people who think this is a US conspiracy. It’s happening all over the world. I don’t believe a word our government says just the Dr’s

I can’t believe the Stereophonics pulled off a 10,000 person concert in Cardiff last night
    And all you crappity dads are great fathers I’ve been checking in just not posting
    Howdy Kim! It’s nice to hear from you again. I hope your son can get back here soon.

I understand that bands make most, if not all, their money from playing shows, but this really does have to stop. If schools can have classes online, maybe some bands can figure out a way to stream a show. I don’t know.

I’m really getting used to sleeping till noon-ish. The idea of going back to work at a school at the end of the month seems crazy risky. I don’t feel like I’m living in the real world.
    Hey Moe! Great to hear that you and JSG and Pogo got together keeping the crappity love spreading.

I hope whoever is running against orange bastard is accumulating all these words he’s said about COVID and make a commercial because he’s been lying or denying it for a long time. I think he delayed the testing on purpose. I’ve read so much where people can’t get tests that are sick and you have to have a test to get aid ...

I’m out getting social lubricants and shrimp before the travel ban. I’m glad I’m used to being a hermit and practicing social distancing it’s. SOP for me. The thought that I can’t go anywhere when I want makes me have anxiety though. This has never happened in our lifetime or are parents
    Hey Kim! Glad to hear from you! I hope your kid comes back soon. If it's any consolation, at least he's not at risk of anything other except being stuck somewhere until this dies down.
    Anyone planning on attending the anti-Covid-19 march?
    I read that Romney is proposing giving all American adults $1000 to help with the economic hardship caused by the pandemic.

Yes, please.
    Romney being a republican, that probably comes with strings attached, like in, you get a 1000 bucks, but nothing else.
    edited March 2020
    He's a rich asshole Republican, but he's a Mormon rich asshole Republican, so he believes in noblesse oblige.

I'm disinclined to give him a cookie for that, but it'd be disingenuous not to admit it makes him less repellent than Trumpians by a country mile.
    Trump just said in a presser that it will take until July or August to get coronavirus under control in the US.
    He also said he's not considering a nationwide lockdown. So I expect a nationwide lockdown by dinnertime tomorrow.
    edited March 2020
    So basically, the government of Canada has closed the country to all foreigners, except Americans.

In other words, they are closing the country to people who pretty much already aren't coming here, but they are still letting in the foreigners which are, by now, the only most probable source of contagion left.

People keep clamoring that we should close the border to Americans too, but I really don't see how Canada would manage to keep an eye on nearly 9 000 Km of common border...
    You guys should build a wall.
    edited March 2020
    US sales of guns and ammunition soar amid coronavirus panic buying

Hoarding toilet paper is funny. This isn't.
    I have a kind of out there idea.

If I set up a Zoom account and streamed a movie on it one night, would any of you nerds join?

We can all log in and talk to each other while we watch a movie.
    Alternately, if the streaming doesn't work, we could pick something we all had access to, then start it at the same time and hang out on Zoom to "watch together."